Hello Ship Mates

I am about to start an Elizabethan Galleon, from the plans that I purchased from The Model Dockyard in Cornwall, UK. These are a set of Harold A Underhill's plans and are of no pacific ship but a set of very general Galleons. I believe that I will build this little ship in the line of the Golden Hind. As normal for me, I will not be trying to build an authentic replica of the real Golden Hind but that of an English Galleon in the times of Queen Elizabeth.

I have barely touched on the perimetry start of this build. So far top day I have scanned and printed the keel and hull forms. Now they must all be cut out and matted with their appropriate other halves and then taped together, not a big job but very time-consuming. 

I will be trying to add around 12 LED Lights to this build, both on deck and below deck and in the ships holes. A first for me and I have been searching the web for a lot of information on these LED Lights, so it kind of looks like this will be a build in its self.

My Admiral Bernadette has eyed up the sails and she has very generously volunteered her services to sew me up a set.

I will add a few pictures below of my plans for the new build the Golden Hind,    

The picture below of the replica of the Golden Hinde in the London area of the UK was taken by Jose L Marin who has given permission on the web that this can be used with recognition of the owner Jose L Marin. I thank you very much, Jose L.Marin.The picture below of the Golden Hinde is the creation of Jose L Marin who on the web has given permission for this picture to be used by the public

ENJOY

Regards   Lawrence

THE GOLDEN HIND 

Regards   Lawrence

IMG_4457.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

IMG_4456.jpg

IMG_4460.jpg

IMG_4461.jpg

Picture by Jose L Marin 800px-Francis-drake-galleon-southwark-london-uk.jpg

Hi Lawrence - 

I have been interested in this type of ship for a long time, although without putting knife to wood.  I have done some of the preliminary research and highly recommend, if you do not have it already, the book "The Galleon, the great ships of the Armada era" by Peter Kirsch.  It contains historical background, plans, illustrations, and reconstructions of the ship and rigging.  A very good overview of the subject from which you can derive your own particulars for the Golden Hinde.

Best of success with the project.  

Dan

419Gk-qQk5L._SY298_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 

43 minutes ago, shipmodel said:

Hi Lawrence - 

I have been interested in this type of ship for a long time, although without putting knife to wood.  I have done some of the preliminary research and highly recommend, if you do not have it already, the book "The Galleon, the great ships of the Armada era" by Peter Kirsch.  It contains historical background, plans, illustrations, and reconstructions of the ship and rigging.  A very good overview of the subject from which you can derive your own particulars for the Golden Hinde.

Best of success with the project.  

Dan

419Gk-qQk5L._SY298_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 

Hello Dan

I do thank you very much for your visit to my build log on the Golden Hind, For your very kind words and overly nice comments. I also thank you for the information on that great looking book, just maybe I may receive it for Fathers Day if I a lucky.  As you can see I am only just beginning this little ship and it will probably be a week or so before I am ready to start making some sawdust, that is when the fun begins for me,                                                        ENJOY

Regards   Lawrence

Hello Chuck

I do thank you very much for your visit to my very humble build log, I do intend to improve on it very shortly. Having you visit makes this little ship build rather special,                      ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Hello Zoltan

Welcome to my new build log on the Golden Hine, it's nice to have you on board, please pull up a chair and join in the show,                                                           ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Hello Zoltan

Welcome to my new build log on the Golden Hine, it's nice to have you on board, please pull up a chair and join in the show,                                                           ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Hello Moreplovac 

Welcome to my new build log on the Golden Hind,  Please pull up a chair and join in the show. Yes, I want to around 12 LED Lights to this build, just trying to find out the best way to do so. I wish you good luck and lots of enjoyment with your build,                                                                    ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Hello Elijah 

I thank you very much for your visit to my new build log on the Golden Hind. For your very kind words and nice comments.  Yes, this build will be a bit of a challenge and also a learning experience with the LED Lights, but I do want to give it a try. You can pull up a chair and join in on the fun in the Old Ship Yard,                                      ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence 

Hi Lawrence - 

I once put 16 LED lights into a cutaway model of the USS Monitor.  All of the lights, wiring, transformers, etc. came from a company in Colorado called Evan Designs through a website called ModelTrainSoftware.com    Very affordable with a 2 year guarantee.  Installation instructions were clear and concise and I had no trouble with them.  I'm sure that there are lots more comparable sources, but this one worked for me.

Dan

13 hours ago, shipmodel said:

Hi Lawrence - 

I once put 16 LED lights into a cutaway model of the USS Monitor.  All of the lights, wiring, transformers, etc. came from a company in Colorado called Evan Designs through a website called ModelTrainSoftware.com    Very affordable with a 2 year guarantee.  Installation instructions were clear and concise and I had no trouble with them.  I'm sure that there are lots more comparable sources, but this one worked for me.

Dan

Hello Dan

I thank you very much for your visit to my build log on the Golden Hind. I also thank you for your LED Lighting information, that I find very ineresting and also very afortable. Not sure just how I will go as yet or just how elabourite. That all should all come together in a month or so,                                                                          ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

16 minutes ago, clearway said:

looking forward to another great build lawrence.

Keith:cheers:

Hello Keath

I thank you very much for your visit to my new build log on the little Golden Hind, For your very kind words and very nice comments. I am still looking over my plans, trying to figure them all out and cutting out the hull paper frames and taping the two halves togeather. With any sort of luck at all, I should be making saw dust around the first of the week,                             ENJOY. 

Regards   Lawrence 

Hi Ken

I thank you very much for your visit to my new build log on the Golden Hind. For your very kind words and overly nice comments. Please pull up a chair and do join in the fun of this fun looking little ship. I am still in the midst of coping plans and cutting them out. But I do believe that I am starting to get things all figured out. My Admiral dropped by the Old Ship Yard today and wanted to know just when she could start sewing up the sails and I have not even got them drawn out as yet. But there are not all that many so I may give it a go tomorrow,                                ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence                 

Hi Ship Mates

I want to thank you all for all of your visits to my new build log on the little Gallon the Golden Hind. For your very kind words and overly nice comments.

The little fellows and I have been working away on our plans for the hull frames and keel and it is slowly coming togeather. Last night my Admiral came in and after looking over my plans she looked at the sails and said that she could be working on those, so we got side tracked and started drawing them up from our plans. This AM I dug out her old light box that she uses for her stained glass projects and transferred them onto a piece of sail cloth and cut the first one out. Still, need to flatten it out with the clothes iron and glue the edges to stop the material from fraying as she sews it up,  

ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence                

IMG_4462.jpg

IMG_4464.jpg

IMG_4463.jpg

Hello Gerty

Welcome to my new build log on the little Galeon the Golden Hind. I am always pleased to have returning ship mates, please pull up a chair as you will find that the door top the OLD Ship Yard is never closed. Spent the day drawing out and copping the sails to the sail cloth as to let my Admiral start to sew them up as the mood hits her. Still figuring out these plans but hope to be making saw dust this coming weekend,                                                                                                         ENJOY. 

Regards   Lawrence

I visited the replica Golden Hinde (spelled as they do on the replica) in London a couple of years ago. You are welcome to copies of the phots I took, they may help with the drawings.

Regards

Alan

4 hours ago, exwafoo said:

I visited the replica Golden Hinde (spelled as they do on the replica) in London a couple of years ago. You are welcome to copies of the phots I took, they may help with the drawings.

Regards

Alan

Hello Alan

I welcome you to my build log on the little Gallon the Golden Hinde. I am always pleased to have a new crew member on board, I thank you very much for your very kind words and information. As you will notice I have changed her name to the Golden Hinde, it seems that both spellings are correct, however my Great Grand Father Captain Angus Hines a sea-fearing Captain of Nova Scotia in the early 1900ths. With the name change, it becomes very close to that of my Great Grand Fathers name of Angus Hines, and I rather like that.

I thank you very much for the offer of the pictures that you took of your recent visit to the replica of the Golden Hinde, as I am sure that they will give me a lot of inside information for my scratch build. How am I to acquire them and I thank you very much for your generosity? As this, a scratch build I do intend to change things just a bit, with my Harold A. Underhill plans and all of the other versions of this little ship on the web,                                                                                  ENJOY  

Regards   Lawrence

3 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I see you've started your new project........very nice subject ;)   looking forward in seeing her come alive! :) 

Hello Popeye

Welcome to my new build log on the Golden Hinde, please pull up a chair and join in the build show. As you can see I am still in the midst of working on my plans drawing, copying and cutting and tapping these all togeather. With any sort of luck at all, I should start making some sawdust this week end. She looks like a fun little ship to build, but just a bit small for adding all of the detail that I have been thinking of adding to her. oh well, we will just have to make the best of it as the Old Ship Yard is slowly taking over our little home,                               ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Hello Tasmanian

Welcome to my build log on the little Gallon the Golden Hinde. Please visit very often, your words and comments are always welcome here. Please pull up a chair and join in the building of this little ship. You will find that the door to the Old Ship Yard is never closed,                                                                        ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Hello Lawrence, allow me to occupy a stump somewhere in your shipyard. Love to follow your progress on this nice little ship.

Cheers,

8 hours ago, dadodude said:

Hello Lawrence, allow me to occupy a stump somewhere in your shipyard. Love to follow your progress on this nice little ship.

Cheers,

Hello Piet

Welcome to my new build log on the little Gallon the Golden Hinde. It would be an honor to have you in the Old Ship Yard and I will surely save you a chair in the front row. Well, I am still in the midst of preparing my plans so that in a day or so I will soon be able to make some saw dust and that is when the fun begins. This ship is much narrower than Bounty but not that much shorter. I have all of the sail cloth cut out and the lines are drawn on them along with the edges glued up to keep the cloth from fraying. A lot of the pictures that I see of this ship have a Red Cross painted on the two upper sails, I believe that I want to try and add this little feature to my ship,                                                                    ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Good luck with your build

I will follow.

( building the hinde also )

Now on holliday and Google translate is difficult for me on a smart phone:(

1 hour ago, Backer said:

Good luck with your build

I will follow.

( building the hinde also )

Now on holliday and Google translate is difficult for me on a smart phone:(

Hello Patrick

Welcome aboard my new build log on the Golden Hinde. I am always pleased to have a new crew member on board, your words and comments are always welcome here. Please pull up a chair and join in on the fun of this little ship is about to begin very soon. Please stop by often as you will find that the door to the Old Ship Yard is never closed.

Yes, I do find these little I-Phones a bit hard to use because of their small size and only use it mostly when traveling away from the internet connections.                                  ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence