A question about wet bending

Wand?   Like a curling iron?  I use an old curling iron (and properly grateful to the Admiral) and heat both sides.  Start with the inside, hold the bend, hit the outside and then repeat as needed until the bend is proper and stays in shape.  Others may use a different method but like many things... this is what works for me and "your mileage may vary".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes you can pin the wet board, holding it in shape with pins and then run the hot thing (whatever you use, hair curler, modified soldering iron, cloth iron, etc.) over it until the wood is dry. It most likely will retain some of the bend, but also will spring back some. At this point just use a good wood glue and glue it to where it belongs and pin it again just like before. Wait till the glue is dry and you shouldn't have any issues.

Regards.

Ulises

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Hey howya goin 1213brett mate, wand are a magician I like magic, I dont even wet my timber takes to long that way I use this see pic, just hold the timber on the soldering iron and slowly move it and it bends into shape if you bend it to far you just turn it over and heat the other side. Some people wet the timder pin it in place and leave it till it drys. and like mark here who uses curling iron to do hes hair and planks, I also use a hair dryer with a piece of wood clamp with spring clamps on the bench as for your question if you do the outside first you run the risk of it bending outward as one side dry faster then the other as for pining it frist idk haven't tryed it that way, just get a piece to practice with if you have a spare piece. :bird-vi:

59067bdcebddd_Tools029.thumb.JPG.f48e8c1bbc7e530a5a8162c5e025694c.JPG

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

1213brett mate, I can even get a twist in the wood very easy like this. I only use hot tap water if the piece is to thick 5 to 7 mins in the water. :bird-vi:

IMG_0271.thumb.JPG.40724fe0c492bb0159d537dc6da7b4d1.JPG

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

I have had good success in wetting planks for about 10 - 15 minutes and then temp fixing in place. Once dry, they retain their bent shape very well making glueing and fixing easy.

After much searching, I have found the  - I found the following tutorials very helpfull which shows the method (and he helped me solve my planking problem :D )

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ_z4N11O2iXS7GyAsQsSiw

Regards

Jeremy

Currently in the shipyard:      Meta nr 484 - Billing
                                                La Toulannaise (Billing) - on hold

Waiting patiently in the shed: HMS Victory - Da Agostini (collection complete and anxiously waiting :D )

IL Leudo - Amati

Lilla Dan nr 578 - Billing

I soak then use graduated cans heat with a candle do several planks at a time can bend or twist there completely dry and always holds there shape. Its very very fast.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co.