thin wooden mast reinforcing

When you have a very thin upper mast, is there something that will make a wood mast stronger?  I have a topmast dowel that is only 1/32" at its fattest and thus much thinner as it tapers.  I'm afraid that the least little tug on the rigging would snap it off.:(  I had thought of soaking it in some kind of varnish or similar product that may harden the wood.  Anyone with any other suggestions?    Dave                                        

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

I would explore what Phil suggested first.  If you're not staining it or finishing it, sometimes white glue and water (50/50) as several light coats will stiffen wood.  As always, test first.

Note, generally this method works for hardening up balsa wood.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi. Depending on the length of the dowel (upper mast) see whether you can cut it in two pieces. Then open holes, at both pieces and place a metal thin rod (unbendable) that will connect them from within. Put the metal rod at one piece of wood at a time and after you have applied some ca glue on its surface.
Finishing you can cover the cut by a hoop, as a part of the rigging.
That's I would try before I turn to make a new one.
Thx

If you can stomach the idea of abandoning literal interpretation of materials, you open the possibility of substituting metal rod painted to look like wood. My HMSVictory was plastic anyway so I had no qualms about using metal rod to replace the amazingly bendy thinner spars in the Heller kit.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!  I considered substituting metal for it but I would have a hard time tapering it.  Cutting it into two pieces and inserting a metal rod on such a thin piece of wood would be tough also, as end drilling a 1/32" dowel would require much more precision to drill than I could handle.  The top mast will be a varnished finish so I may just try a few coats of varnish and see how much strength is gained.  The wood I have is beech which has a fairly high rating for bending strength, but I have some hard maple which has a little higher strength rating and similar appearance.  Maybe I can locate some hickory which has a much higher strength rating but a very inconsistent coloring.  If I'm picky in my selection I can select a piece that has a similar appearance to the beech.  Does any one have a source for some hickory or any other wood that could qualify?

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

2 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Does any one have a source for some hickory or any other wood that could qualify?

Hi Dave,

I've made smaller section masts (click the link to see some) than that from English Boxwood without any dramas. A good source for it is one of those old wooden folding Carpenter's Rules, but make sure it IS an OLD one - some newer ones are made of a much weaker timber (when they aren't actually plastic :D ).

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Not that I want to spread alarm about breaking spars, but what you are worried about actually happened to the USS Constitution in 1997.  

https://ussconstitutionmuseum.org/2017/04/20/springtime-for-uss-constitution/.  

The moral of the story is don't expose your model to 70 mph winds and 2 ft of snow (or the equivalent in whatever scale you're working at)!  

On a more practical tone, going to a strong hardwood, such as maple, would be my first choice. However, straight grain is also a larger factor, so best to split the raw material for the rough blank rather than saw it.  Any wood that is going to be subject to bending loads, such as chair backs, bows, etc, are made from split stock.

Bruce

Stay Sharp - Stay Safe

Judgement comes from experience:  experience comes from poor judgement.

• USS Constitution: Scratch build solid hull 1:96 scale

1 hour ago, maaaslo said:

also, i would probably try to make it from bamboo... cheap and rather strong...

Pav, the only problem with bamboo is that you can't taper it all that well. Bamboo being a grass has coarse parallel fibres that run the length of the piece, so you are always going to be cutting through the grain. Strength-wise it's among the best (maybe that should read "flexibility wise"?), as you can draw it down to minute diameters with a Drawplate. My Byrnes Drawplate has a smallest diameter of 0.0135" (0.35mm or #80) and I've drawn bamboo through it quite a few times :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I find bamboo to be the go-to material for small wooden spars. The long and tough fibers that run along its length behave like rebar in cement. It resists breaking from any angle, unlike most woods that will fail along the grain on one side or another. Unlike most other woods, you can keep on reducing diameter to a very thin, yet still resilient, thickness. I find tapering bamboo spars to be so easy I'm surprised anyone feels it presents any difficulty. I've had success tapering with a small block plane and/or via sandpaper. If you have never tried tapering with your spar chucked into a drill and using sandpaper on it while it spins you have missed some great fun. Wear eye protection. Drawplates I have never had success with, they are expensive so I only ever purchased one from Micro Mark years ago and it was a lemon. Perhaps there are more effective ones out there but I'm not inclined to pay to find out.

Niagara USS Constitution