Dennis Bus by Mike Dowling - FINISHED - OcCre

I have seen many people asking about OcCre models on this forum but very few logs about them. I realise this is a non boat topic but just at the moment there are several stagecoaches being built so I though I would continue the trend.

I have made lots of OcCre models and I think they are great. Wood is usually of good quality, metal mouldings excellent, instructions some of the best I have seen as they come in the form of a booklet with step by step instructions and photos. I appreciate their kits would be a total anathema to the scratch builders out there but they are good fun and make up into lovely looking models.

So, onto the usual box contents which you can see. There are always a lot of metal pieces in their kits but all small items are enclosed in a plastic box. The laser cut sheet parts are some of the best I have come across.

IMGP4734.JPG

IMGP4733.JPG

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Hey howya goin Mike mate, great to have you back making build logs, I will follow you on this one mate. I've heard about OcCre but never really looked at them on the web, well it's about time I do.   :bird-vi:

Mike weave us a story, a tale about OcCre, as we sit by the camp fire roasting marshmallows and getting bloody drunk on beer.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

interesting project ;)   this is the first car kit made of wood that I've seen

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sure, why not.  NRG is becoming a chapter of the International Plastic Model Society, with wooden models getting awards at IPMS shows.  Why not wagons and vehicles.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Not a lot to show yet but this is the beginning of the lower 'deck'!

Much to my surprise for an OcCre kit one sheet of laser cut pieces has a very nasty warp. I have managed to flatten it but a quick email to OcCre and replacements are on their way. Pretty good I reckon and they always have been when a fault occurred.

IMGP4735.JPG

IMGP4736.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

What will be the interior of the bus has been given floor lining and seats and the drivers seat has been 'planked'.

IMGP4737.JPG

IMGP4738.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Hey howya goin Mike mate, good start mate.   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

• 3 weeks later...

With apologies for the dreadful photographs the lower box (!!!) is now painted and glazed and the ceiling is ready to be fitted. Unfortunately the glazing had to be done first and for those that have used acrylic glass before you will know how much static is generated when removing the protective film which then attracts every bit of dust! Still, it has to be done and I will remove it to glue the lid on. I tried to pre-bend the ceiling a bit but there is quite a curve and I foresee some serious clamping to get it to hold done whilst the glue dries.

IMGP4784.JPG

IMGP4785.JPG

IMGP4786.JPG

IMGP4787.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I use a stiff clea material that is use for clear divider in notebooks etc. I got it at office max. It is also great to use as a surface when you want to glue parts.  since ca will not stick to it.  

when gluing I set a sheet over the plans, Line the pieces up with the plan or sketch and glue it. When dry the parts just lift off.

It is called "presentation covers" on the box. Their web site is www.gbc.com. I have to buy a box of 100, but they come in handy.

Clarence 

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

See, I told you it would need some serious clamping!!

IMGP4788.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Time for an update.

The roof stayed on! The cabin is basically finished now except for pretty signs and various accessories.

A point that might be useful to some. OcCre have loads of very nicely laser cut pieces but, when joining them together the locating holes often show and look horrid. So, I cover them in paper either before or after assembly depending on where they are. The roof over the cab seat was done after construction and hides two big and I have papered the stairs prior to construction to show you what I mean. These locating holes do not fill well with normal filler and still show hence the paper.

Whilst waiting for things to dry  I started work on the chassis. Loads of little nails to insert and cut off to simulate rivets. There were a few wood breakages involved in this process but nothing that couldn't be repaired with glue and some paint. Also done the bonnet, side, radiator. Still done driving controls to go on the side but not until near the end.

IMGP4789.JPG

IMGP4790.JPG

IMGP4795.JPG

IMGP4791.JPG

IMGP4792.JPG

IMGP4793.JPG

IMGP4794.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Bill, I should imagine the wheels were cast in some kind of metal.

Stairs on, fiddly little things they were and quite difficult doing the sides. Also planked the walkway for the top deck.

IMGP4796.JPG

IMGP4798.JPG

IMGP4797.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

A progress update.

The seats are done complete with handrails. The sides of the upper deck are on and the handrails done. I have put the body on the chassis a bit earlier than the instructions suggest as I  think it would have been easy to knock off the rails later. At least it is  beginning to look like a bus now.

IMGP4799.JPG

IMGP4800.JPG

IMGP4801.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Hey howya goin Mike mate,  shes coming along great, you know what country this bus was in?    :bird-vi:

Er ... would you believe England Eddie ? I guess it will be more obvious when the signs are on!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

nice bit of progress....coming along really well.   just bookmarked the site....they have some cool look'in models :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Making the hand rails for the stairs was a real labour of love ! Gradually bending the wire bit by bit until it was right took me a whole afternoon. Adding the rhombus shaped pieces and finishing the stairway another day. Before I put all the signs on, each one had to have the very edge of the paper painted to avoid white lines showing around each.

It really is beginning to look like a bus now, and an English one at that Eddie!

There I is still quite a bit to do underneath yet but I am pleased with the way it is coming together.

IMGP4802.JPG

IMGP4803.JPG

IMGP4804.JPG

IMGP4805.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

On the final furlong now. The undercarriage is finished, mudguards on and the settings for the safety grills each side.

IMGP4806.JPG

IMGP4807.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

The beasty is finished! Made up into a nice little model I think, 1/24 scale. More of a kit than some where you would have to make up more parts yourself. OcCre castings up to there usual high standard. I have noted that their brittania metal is really quite hard and very strong unlike model trailways which is very soft and easily broken. OcCre's instruction books are brilliant with step by step instructions and excellent photos. I have done a lot of their models and this is amongst the best. Certainly a bit different from boat building.

Anyway, I hope you like the end result.

IMGP4808.JPG

IMGP4809.JPG

IMGP4810.JPG

IMGP4813.JPG

IMGP4815.JPG

IMGP4816.JPG

IMGP4822.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Hey howya goin mike mate, well done mate, whats your next adventure going to be, did you save up for that plane?    :bird-vi:

I pulled my plane kit off the shelf the other day and started cleaning up the laser cut burnt makes from it.

great looking model Mike....you did a very fine job of it :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 year later...

Nice looking model Mike, I have a paper model of the same bus, still in the flat form.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.