Totally-wet-behind-the-ears-noob question

Hi everybody,

I've been lurking on this forum for months and have finally decided to try out wooden boat/ship modeling.

I'm pretty experienced at building both static-scale and flying-type aircraft, scale and non-scale, models and I also managed to finish the plastic Revell Constitution kit years ago (and loved every minute of it) and it came out pretty nice, but this will be my first foray into wooden boat and/or ship kits.  I'm retired now and I need something new to do that's not too terribly expensive - yet gratifying - and that uses up a lot of time to accomplish .

I'm thinking about the Model Shipways New Bedford whale boat for the first attempt.  I want to get right into planked hulls and get THAT horrific learning-curve over with, at least. ;)

Any and all opinions and advice from the good folks on the forum are very much welcome and sincerely appreciated!

Best wishes and respect to all,

JP

hey howya goin JP mate, welcome, here is the Database of Articles and Downloads <-- Click Here section, you want to look in the Framing and Planking <--- Click Here, it will help you to understand planking and for a quick look watch these 2 videos <--- Click Here have fun.   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Hey JP.

First of all, Welcome

From what I undersatnd from others, Research what ever ship/Boat your looking at, See if any one else is building it, good point of referance.  For you first build, Personaly dont take on any large builds... most of all take your time and enjoy every miniute of the build. if your not happy with something you have done. do it again! I do.

Find a build you will be happy to look at for years once complete.

hope this is something to go on.

Cheers

Rich

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

Hey howya goin JP mate agian, if you don't understand anything no matter how dumb, stupid or ignorant the question is let say something like what is PVA glue? ask the question this is a very freindly place to be and 99.9% of the time someone will answer it for you, just remember to ask the question in the right forum aera and agian have fun.   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Oh one more thing JP mate start a build log if you can mate with pics more pics more more more pics.   :bird-vi:

A nice little craft to cut your teeth on and as said before the planking and framing tutorial in the downloads is first class 

Study the grain in the planks, so you know which way to cut Small cuts are better than slashing at it and  sharp blades are not expensive when you buy them in bulk a surgical supply shop on line is the one of the cheapest suppliers as well as blade holders 

Have fun 

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

Welcome aboard! JP
Have fun with you build.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Welcome aboard. I've never built any small boats as models, but my father-in-law built the Model Shipways Bounty launch and said it's his favorite of three builds he's done.

I always recommend new model builders get themselves a copy of Frank Mastini's "Ship Modeling Simplified," which I found to be an excellent introduction to the hobby. He covers everything from selecting kits to tools to step-by-step instructions for building a ship model. One problem with many European kits is that the instructions are sometimes sparse or difficult to follow. Mastini helps clear things up.

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

Welcome! I haven't built that kit, but you're very wise to start small and basic to learn the skills and whether you really like the hobby enough to tackle something bigger. The MS Bounty launch was my first time wooden kit, a similar craft, and it taught me loads of skill and perspective. Good luck.

Hello again everybody, and thank you very much for the warm welcome(s) and for the good advice and encouragement!

So, after reading through your responses and suggestions, I'm forgin' ahead with my plan.  I might be able to get one of the whale boat kits locally, there's a very nice hobby shop in Denver that I seem to remember seeing one of these kits in about a year ago.  If not, I found one online for $109.00 shipped.  I'd love to just be able to get one today and get started ASAP, but I can stand the wait if I have to order one - maybe.  ;)

Anyway, it's a little intimidating contemplating all the new and totally unfamiliar tasks, techniques, terms, lingo etc. that I'll be learning and putting into practice with this project, but I'm very much looking forward to the challenge(s) it'll present, too.  Gotta keep the ol' brain chuggin' along.

I'll have to buy a cheap digital camera to post the pics of the build (and learn how to do that, too) - no tech-freak here, now or ever!  Not lovin' that aspect of it, either, but what are ya gonna do?  My current phone is a 17 year old Motorola flipper.

Again, my heartfelt thanks to you guys for all the help.  I'll be posting my progress as soon as I'm up & running.

Warmest regards,

John

I ended up buying the Mantua Armed Launch kit instead.  I got it for a good price from a gent on Ebay that bought it but never started on it .  Seemed a little more suitable for me. 

Maybe it's from living in "The People's Republic of Boulder Colorado" for 35 years, but something about having my first attempt at the hobby be a model of a boat used in whaling...    Well, it just didn't feel like a great idea for me.  On the other hand, a craft used in war?  No problem!  Go fig.

Anyway, it should be here Tuesday.  Yay!  Also got the Model Shipways paint set for it from The Model Boat Store.

Now alls I gotta do is get one o' them digital cameras and learn how ta' use tha' durn thang fer the build log!  ;)

Thanks again, everybody, for the help and encouragement,

John

I haven't built the MS New Bedford whale boat, but I am in the middle of the Kate Cory, a whaling brig. In my research of the whaleboats for my build, I purchased the 150 page instruction booklet for the MS whale boat. From reading that, I guarantee you will not be disappointed with the MS kit. 

Rich

Member - Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Current Build:  Pride of Baltimore 2

Finished: Kate Cory

Finished for now (Not rigged):  Medway Longboat

21 hours ago, Richvee said:

I haven't built the MS New Bedford whale boat, but I am in the middle of the Kate Cory, a whaling brig. In my research of the whaleboats for my build, I purchased the 150 page instruction booklet for the MS whale boat. From reading that, I guarantee you will not be disappointed with the MS kit. 

After reading your post/opinion, I finally broke down and bought the whaleboat kit too (see post #11).  I'll build it first, then the armed launch - which looks WAY more complicated!

I ordered the MS paint color-sets for both.  From what I could find out using google searches, the MS paints seem to have a pretty good rep.  If you or anybody else has had negative experiences with the MS paints, or if you think they're great, for that matter , please let me know.

Thank you very much for posting!

John

Welcome to MSW, John.   Just one bit of advice... Have fun!   Yeah, we all have those "oh crap" moments but overall this should be a relaxing and rewarding hobby.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

11 hours ago, Cathead said:

John, you might check out this thread from elsewhere on MSW, which has an active discussion about the paints from Model Shipways (Model Expo).

That's the thread that convinced me to cancel the orders and go with Vallejo, or something else other than MS.  Can't remember how I stumbled across it.

12 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Welcome to MSW, John.   Just one bit of advice... Have fun!   Yeah, we all have those "oh crap" moments but overall this should be a relaxing and rewarding hobby.   

Roger that!  That's just how I'm lookin' at it too.

Great forum and folks here.  Only a couple of days to go before my kits arrive & I can get started.

Best wishes,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update:

Well, I got started on the MS whaleboat kit.  I got the mold built and ready to mount on the horses - which are not even close to being accurately cut.  If it wasn't for Mr. Fleming's Whaleboat build log on this site, I'd have been stumped from the get-go.  Thanks John, you rock!!! :)

I have to say, that at this point, this is the worst-cut kit I've ever dealt with!  One of the "bulkheads" wasn't even close to symmetrical and the support horses were useless as supplied - both in shape and function. 

I've built lots of laser-cut RC and CL airplane model kits over the years from a variety of manufacturers and every piece just fits with little or no drama.  This whaleboat kit is a mess - incredibly disappointing!  If I had Paid MSRP for it, it would be heading back for a refund.   I'm wondering if they sold these on Ebay, where I got mine, at about 1/3-off MSRP just to clear out a bad run of kits?  If so, then that's a great way to lose repeat customers.  No more MS kits for me!

One thing I can say, though.  This experience is really sharpening me up for a future (distant future) scratch-build!

Now that the rant is over, I'm really lookin' forward to diving into getting started on the laminated keel, bow & stern posts etc.  I guess that dealing with this poorly cut kit is just part of the "challenge and charm".  I'm learning a ton in a short time, that's for sure, and regardless of the poor quality of this kit, I'm lovin' every minute of it!

Sorry that I can't do a build log with pics, but I'm just too tech-ignorant to deal with picking out and buying a digital camera, figuring out how to use it, and then how to get the pics from it onto this site.  The learning curve of physically building this boat, plus learning all the lingo and terms associated with it is quite enough, thank you very much!  ;)

Oh well...

You don't need any fancy digital camera, any cell phone camera will do the trick. There are lots of You Tube "How To" videos on how to get pictures off a cell and onto your PC or tablet. Once the pics are on the PC, it's as simple as clicking on "choose files" below to add a pic to your post. It's not easy to show your work to begin with but don't be shy, you'll see it's worth it once you start.  

10 hours ago, Dilbert55 said:

You don't need any fancy digital camera, any cell phone camera will do the trick. There are lots of You Tube "How To" videos on how to get pictures off a cell and onto your PC or tablet. Once the pics are on the PC, it's as simple as clicking on "choose files" below to add a pic to your post. It's not easy to show your work to begin with but don't be shy, you'll see it's worth it once you start.  

My 18 year old flip phone doesn't have a camera either.  I've intentionally avoided "teching up" any more than is absolutely necessary to get along for decades.  So far, so good.

I saw a report about how the smart phones etc. are as addictive as heroin or cocaine.  I totally believe that when I see the throngs of kids and adults with their eyes glued to 'em.  Not for me - not now, not ever!  IMO, they rot your mind as bad as booze.  Screw that!!  I've beaten several addictions in my life and I won't be willingly taking up another one. ;)

I do, however, respect people's right to choose to participate in the tech stuff if that's what they want, though.

Thanks for the tip, regardless, I appreciate that you took the time to post.  :)

32 minutes ago, jpooch01 said:

My 18 year old flip phone doesn't have a camera either

Hey howya goin John mate, I got rid of my flip phone when I retired 10 years ago, I got this about 5 to 6 years ago.

591e41ae22ca2_Tools33.thumb.JPG.3d7b930f11427d89f4693c84eca6dce2.JPG

Was about $180 to $200 AUD back then, as long as the camera does full HD 1080 you should be ok.   :bird-vi:

Have been fascinated by PC's all my life and could not avoid getting tech'd up given the job I used to have. Now retired but still have an IPhone and pretty much use it only as a phone. Never have had the urge to become one of those phone zombies you accurately described. Agree with you, cell phones are a public health hazard. On the other hand, my IPhone does keep me from getting bored while waiting in the car for the Admiral to return from shopping. 

Not preaching too you!!!!, this last word is only because you won't be able to fully experience this fantastic website without pictures....skip it if you like....

...You can get a webcam for a few bucks and hook it directly to your PC and only connect it when you need it. Please forgive me if this last word was not wanted. 

11 hours ago, Dilbert55 said:

Have been fascinated by PC's all my life and could not avoid getting tech'd up given the job I used to have. Now retired but still have an IPhone and pretty much use it only as a phone. Never have had the urge to become one of those phone zombies you accurately described. Agree with you, cell phones are a public health hazard. On the other hand, my IPhone does keep me from getting bored while waiting in the car for the Admiral to return from shopping. 

Not preaching too you!!!!, this last word is only because you won't be able to fully experience this fantastic website without pictures....skip it if you like....

...You can get a webcam for a few bucks and hook it directly to your PC and only connect it when you need it. Please forgive me if this last word was not wanted. 

Nothing to forgive, Dil.  I'm not fanatic about it and intellectually I KNOW that tech is an inseparable part of most folk's lives now, everybody's really, including mine.  I don't know if it's a good or bad thing, but it's a fact 'o life nonetheless.  Hell, I'm sittin' here tappin' away on an electronic keyboard and listenin' to the news on the Boob Tube right now!

I have a computer, of course, and I depend on it (even though I don't particularly like it).  I did hold out on getting one until about 9 years ago, though - last of the XP units they had and, God, how I HATED learning how to use it!!!!  I thought that it was pretty good to have held out that long, at least.  ;)

I'm fortunate in that I've pursued a career as a single-piston-engine airplane pilot, mechanic & inspector (A&P/IA) - specializing in vintage, fabric-covered, piston-engine planes.  1940's technology that essentially never changed to this day  Gotta love that!  Good 'ol mechanically-fuel-injected engines is as high-tech as I see on these planes (but I like carburetors better - only 2 moving parts in 'em).  Magneto ignition, too, and not even a mechanically-variable ignition timing system like in old cars.  They're locked in at a specific timing & that's what ya get.  They do have a spring-loaded retarding system for starting on the smaller, opposed-cylinder engines, but the big radials don't even have that!  These engines run with no auxiliary battery or anything else, other than avgas & oil. 

For the past 30 years, I've been the only full-time employee of a dinky little glider pilot school and sightseeing business here in Boulder operating out of an uncontrolled field that doesn't even require radios in the aircraft.  Our towplanes do have radios, but I never even turn them on.  The young "techie" pilots that I hire just can't even fathom that.  I get a huge kick and constant entertainment out of hearing their comments on the subject!  My comeback is usually something like "Well, if it's considered dangerous to be yappin' on a phone while driving, then why should you do it on an an airplane radio while in flight if it's not required?"  That usually shuts 'em up, at least for a few minutes!

Yeah, I'm stuck in the past & lovin' every minute of it!  These wooden boat/ship kits are just the ticket for a guy like me.  :)

Best wishes and warmest regards, and thanks again for taking the time to post your thoughts.

John

On 5/18/2017 at 6:55 PM, Eddie said:

Hey howya goin John mate, I got rid of my flip phone when I retired 10 years ago, I got this about 5 to 6 years ago.

591e41ae22ca2_Tools33.thumb.JPG.3d7b930f11427d89f4693c84eca6dce2.JPG

Was about $180 to $200 AUD back then, as long as the camera does full HD 1080 you should be ok.   :bird-vi:

So, how do ya dial numbers on that thang?  Does it get good reception in tunnels?  Yuck Yuck.  ;)

Well, I've made a good start and got the garboard & 2nd strakes installed.  I gotta say that it's been a lot easier than I thought it would be.  Having the strakes pre-laser-cut has a lot to do with it, I think.  It's weird that they were able to cut the strakes so accurately that they almost fit with no mods, yet the simple mold horses were off by about 1/8 inch or more.

I'm really enjoying the hobby thus far.  Relatively inexpensive, extremely gratifying and massively time-consuming, just what I was looking for!  Plus, I get to learn a whole new vocabulary (cuss-words notwithstanding - I already know PLENTY of those, and they've been used pretty often so far!).  ;)

I'm so new that I haven't even decided on my first build, so I'm looking forward to seeing how you do.   

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Current build: Model Expo Glad Tidings, Pinky Schooner

First builds:

Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Midwest Chesapeake Bay Flattie

10 hours ago, Estoy_Listo said:

I'm so new that I haven't even decided on my first build, so I'm looking forward to seeing how you do.   

I'm totally new at this, too, but I can say with certainty that this New Bedford Whaleboat kit is the most perfect beginner's built-up-hull kit that I could have chosen!  Challenging, yet completely do-able with some research, patience and determination.  Not frustrating at all, but extremely rewarding and I'm lovin' every minute of it.  Plus, you can get it for about one-third off MSRP on Ebay!  Pretty slow service and shipping, 10 days from order to receipt, but well worth the wait, IMHO.  And that may have just SEEMED long, anyway, what with Amazon Prime's two-day delivery, I'm probably just getting jaded.

Currently, I've gotten through fitting and mounting the fourth strakes and will be starting on the fifth pair today.  Gotta say, it's lookin' every bit as good as those on the build logs on this site and others, however, that situation may only be temporary. ;)   Up to this point, the laser-cut strakes have fit amazingly well with only (mostly) minor sanding-to-fit. 

The horses that support the mold around which the hull is built are WAY off right out of the box, but are easily fixable with a lot of sanding and careful forming, shimming etc. - same with one of the mold's bulkheads, but to a much lesser extent.  So far, though, the rest of the parts are incredibly well formed. 

At first, I did have a pretty low opinion of Model Shipways kits, since the horses are the first thing to be built and they were so far out-of-spec, but after getting them corrected, the rest of the kit has been a joy to work with.  Guess they ain't as bad as I first thought. :)  Glitches happen...

I would highly and absolutely recommend this kit as the first attempt for a greenie (like me).  So far, it's been a super-steep learning curve and highly educational - exactly what I was after. 

A friend has offered to lend me a good camera and to help me to post some pics.  I should have them up before too long.

Best wishes and good luck with your first build,

John

Update: 

I've now got all but the last strake on each side installed, then it'll be getting close to time to remove it from the mold.  Yay!

I screwed up the 5th stbd. strake and had to make one from scratch.  Even with the other one as a form, it took a while to get it just right - great forced-experience! ;)

To tell the truth, I'm kinda surprised at how well it's gone (so far, anyway).  I didn't pre-form the one that has the curve in it as described in the manual.  Instead, I wrapped it in a terry cloth and soaked everything in near-boiling water for a few minutes and it just formed itself right around the curve in the formers perfectly.

So far, so good...