King of the Mississippi by Eddie - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:80

Hey howya goin all, this is my second build log of a ship.   :bird-vi:

Length: 660mm = (25-30/32")

Height: 192mm = (11-15/32")

Beam: 130mm = (5-3/32")

Scale: 1:80 (3/20" = 1Ft)

Heres a look at whats inside. I got a little impatient and started to build her before I took pics.

590eea3dcded9_Mississippi001.thumb.JPG.0d6faf3386a92b65c09f0d7f1cd3d6c5.JPG

590eea40f3863_Mississippi002.thumb.JPG.b38dd92a8f3e2ab3ff2e8992d4faa361.JPG

590eea43df0ef_Mississippi003.thumb.JPG.2074d21707f00a0c98d707338d186442.JPG

590eea46a78b0_Mississippi004.thumb.JPG.96aee18240df028f684d39a9046f939e.JPG

590eea498f62a_Mississippi005.thumb.JPG.c5c81299ca130cc95754bf429c610e50.JPG

590eea4c7da30_Mississippi006.thumb.JPG.f2afbe57f46d692d7baa63fecc9a8f61.JPG

590eea4f92183_Mississippi007.thumb.JPG.bd75e8619871cd48d5f58620b722873f.JPG

590eea54c93f7_Mississippi008.thumb.JPG.89929633c09503480b895b0e47b46c59.JPG

590eea57cde99_Mississippi009.thumb.JPG.cc5d3d913ee8ce5670c442b3ace4065a.JPG

590eea5ae0436_Mississippi010.thumb.JPG.89160f66ae579ac977fc4ff86ae33667.JPG

590eea5daa02f_Mississippi011.thumb.JPG.20b5c583d576049b54e10553e574670b.JPG

590eea60c90d0_Mississippi012.thumb.JPG.54485f54b7c12a834cfc5af42ce68ffb.JPG

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Hey howya goin all, started on the hull. I was a little drunk here and I numbered the pieces the wrong numbers so it took me a little to work out why the pieces wasn't fitting but I got it in the end.  :bird-vi:

590eeca2d906f_Mississippi013.thumb.JPG.c5810376dec83c98b19e7dc6bbccb3e1.JPG

590eeca58e0d2_Mississippi014.thumb.JPG.f2a9f0f2cc9318924614780fa6eaca54.JPG

590eeca97a01f_Mississippi015.thumb.JPG.83c03d4dfb854d0397a176d4326b4042.JPGNow that the hull is made I was going to start to line her but as I counted the pieces there wasn't enough to do the hull in the instruction manual it says part No 24, Hull lining Strakes, quant 30, 0'6x6x600, African Walnut, the pieces are in fact 0.6x5x600 and they short changed me to on a couple of strips, I could have just bought a few pieces from here but the Walnut we have is not African Walnut, so I had to contact the shop where I got it from and have them order some from the manufacturer which can take a couple of months to get replacements for.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Hey Eddie, she is looking good. That sucks about the wood shortage but you have lots to keep yourself busy with. 

Mixing alcohol with ship modelling is something I keep trying but always come up with poor results. If I was to have kept a bin for mistakes and one for drunken mistakes......well I need not say which one would be full:P. I am not one to give up easy so I will keep experimenting:cheers: and will keep you updated if I have any breakthroughs.  

Hey howya goin Don mate, hahaha I know what you mean mate.   :bird-vi:

Great start Eddie!

I've learned to always budget in extra wood for any build. Either the kit is short pieces, the supplied wood is of bad quality or I just screw up too many times and need more! :P

As for drinking and building, I too am still working on that mystical combination of drink and quality workmanship. While I have learned a lot of reasons why this shouldn't be done, I am of the mode of thinking that practice makes perfect and if I keep trying I will eventually find a good combination. :cheers:

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

36 minutes ago, EJ_L said:

As for drinking and building, I too am still working on that mystical combination of drink and quality workmanship

Hey howya goin E.J. mate, hahaha.

36 minutes ago, EJ_L said:

I've learned to always budget in extra wood for any build

Well there is one thing I forgot to mention in the first post, this is not the first time I've started this build, the first time I got to plank the hull but for some reason it started to warp and I couldn't get it to straighten up no matter what I did, so after it been siting on my shelf for so many years the hull ended up in the bin, I always wanted to build her agian so I kept the old box and stuff so now I have two of everything from the first deck upwards hahaha. 

The top one is the new kit.   :bird-vi:

590f652df1eca_Mississippi016.thumb.JPG.70a4a97ccf9c05b40f397054c1ec1688.JPG

• 1 month later...

Eddie , and all others that might read this.        I being new at this ...I'm presently building the  The King   have finished planking the hull  I'm impressed with the precision of the assembly  kind of relaxing after building the AL's   Swift Pilot Boat 1805   manufactured in 1982  .....  anyway I've assembled the hull and deck  and forgot to cut out slots for mounted boiler room and engine room....in my eager haste.  If you or anyone has the lower deck layout to trace .....and send in pdf   so I can print to right scale and use to locate slots.   Any help is appreciated .    Thank you.

Poppa Ace             " Only the Lead Dog Sees a Different View "    circa  2001  Poppa Ace 

Hey there. Nice start. I have also built this model awhile ago and had a ball with it. I hope you enjoy it too. I'm seriously contemplating building it again.

All the best and P.S Watch out for the location tabs on the boiler and engine room not lining up.:D

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Poppa Ace mate, I'm getting the file for you now.     :bird-vi:

Scott, thanks mate.   :bird-vi:

Poppa Ace mate, I sent you a PM with the file.     :bird-vi:

S. Coleman,  said: " 

Hey there. Nice start. I have also built this model awhile ago and had a ball with it. I hope you enjoy it too. I'm seriously contemplating building it again.

All the best and P.S Watch out for the location tabs on the boiler and engine room not lining up.:D

Appreciate your comments and thanks for the  heads - up on boiler and engine room lineup ...... I probably wouldn't have notice until  oops to late ....where's my debonder.:(
I have the Older Model of AL's  " The King "  I got in the auction ...... all intact still in package......    I don't know if it's ok to send pics ......once I figure out ....how.   i

Hey Eddie thanks again ......just what the Dr. ordered.   One more thing I've been looking at the white railings ....I'm thinking about going with blackening the photoetch to resemble Wrought Iron.  I think the white is gaudy.  I'd like opinions ......from Ya'll ......That's Texan  eubonics. LOL

Donald W. Harris         " Only The Lead Dog Sees a Different View "    circa 2001  Poppa Ace

Poppa Ace, I prefer the white mate.    :bird-vi:

No worries. The tabs that these two rooms slot into the deck are out as I was told by another member a few years ago.  Thus avoiding me making this mistake as well. So there you go, Information passed on from one modeler to another over the years.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

S.Coleman,

Tanks for the heads again .....  I appreciate this site far beyond what words can describe.  I've not started a build log :  being just a tadpole ....have just been keeping focused and taking pictures to share later with commentary.  One thing I will say for all the modelers on this site .....without you build logs .....I probably would have crashed and burned out.  But now I'm   hooked .....actually I've swallowed the hook.  Many thanks to you and all.

Donald W. Harris   

• The title was changed to King of the Mississippi by Eddie - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:80