Oscillating Spindle Sander to get one or not.

Hey howya goin all, I've been debating whether to get an Oscillating Spindle Sander or not, I'm looking at two types the Triton Oscillating Spindle Sander 450W <--- Click Here or the Jet Benchtop Oscillating Spindle Sander <---Click Here, the Jet one does cost more but it has a tilting table, I do have a sanding drums for my drill press but the chuck is not to straight so it does wobble alittle I will be replaceing the drill press sometime in the future, what do you think about Oscillating Spindle Sander?   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

I use my OSS pretty much every day. The tilting table is a nice feature but not essential. My ten year old one has been discontinued and I'm about ready for a new one. Looking at the Jet - great reviews.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I think this sort of tool is the most efficient for shaping frames.

A tilting table is not helpful for sanding frames. The bevel is in constant change in angle.

I have to do it in the air.  A tilting table is a source for mis-adjustment.  The table is OK for

support for extreme outer shape and inside most mould line. 

The main use that I can see for the tilting table would be for cutting a bevel on a waterway.

There are ways to do that.

I wish to use stock sheet sandpaper instead of the pre-formed tubes - cost and to deal with 

my aversion to being beholden to a single source for disposable media.

The spindle ossilating motion is not one I wish to use.

I made my own, using a 1/3 HP reversible motor. The CW-CCW rotation option is helpful in sanding 

the top of frames.  The open ends respond better to pull than push. The sleeveless drums I use all mount

on the bare 1/2" motor shaft and I can mount cutting burrs and rotary shapers.

They are of some help, but 60 -80 grit sandpaper does bulk removal at least as well.

A drill press - the motor is in the way.  If it could be rotated 180 degrees - it could do -

if you can get 1700 RPM out of it.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Both the Jet and Triton are very good machines, I'm sure.  I have a Rigid EB4424 Oscillating/Belt sander ($200US) which I've been very happy with its features.  It's a bit bigger than the others, but here in the USA, Rigid offers lifetime warranties on parts, service, (and batteries if so equipped).    It is available in Australia.  By the way, it's a good idea to buy the rubber stick to clean the sleeves and belts.

Eddie,

I have the Jet OSS (also purchased from Carbatec) and have been very happy with it.

Hey howya goin all, thanks, a few people say they are a good thing to get so I've decided to get one, don't know what brand to get yet but I'm leaning towards the Jet Benchtop Oscillating Spindle Sander and thanks agian.   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

There is a feature of the Rigid machine that I forgot to mention - the table.  It is large and has a standard 3/8" x 3/4" slot for a miter gauge or for custom fixtures. I have also drilled a few holes here and there for securing fixtures to the table and sheet metal deflectors for more efficient dust extraction.  (Oh, and to make sharp edges of shopbuilt sheet metal fixtures safe, run a bead of hotmelt glue along the edge.)    

Hey howya goin Bob mate, yeah I've been looking at that one you mentioned it does look good but I already have benchtop belt sander thanks mate.   :bird-vi:

4 minutes ago, Bob Blarney said:

It's also a spindle sander.  The changeover is easy.

Yeah I watch a vid on it when you mentioned it.

Never thought about putting it on a mat not a bad idea thanks mate.   :bird-vi:

On 5/10/2017 at 3:35 AM, ChrisLBren said:

Just make sure to get the finest sleeves available

Thanks ChrisLBren mate will do.   :bird-vi:

On 5/8/2017 at 10:41 PM, Eddie said:

Hey howya goin all, I've been debating whether to get an Oscillating Spindle Sander or not, I'm looking at two types the Triton Oscillating Spindle Sander 450W <--- Click Here or the Jet Benchtop Oscillating Spindle Sander <---Click Here, the Jet one does cost more but it has a tilting table, I do have a sanding drums for my drill press but the chuck is not to straight so it does wobble alittle I will be replaceing the drill press sometime in the future, what do you think about Oscillating Spindle Sander?   :bird-vi:

I have owned the Jet version for years.  It dramatically widened the scope of woodworking projects I've taken on.  Without it, I doubt I would have tackled making necks for the guitars I've made. 

Fine Woodworking has done tool tests on spindle sanders twice that I can remember.  Both times they gave the award to Ridgid. While I am pretty happy with the Jet, there are times I wish it had the capabilities of the Ridgid. 

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

Thanks Julie mate.    :bird-vi: