HMS ROYAL KATHERINE 1664 by Doris - 1/55 - CARD

Hello everyone,
a few years ago, I finished my most beautiful ship - Sovereign of the Seas and I wished to find another similarly beautiful sailing ship which I would be able to build. There are plenty of glorious boats, but only for a few of them there are avalialbe good plans and exact information. I decided to create and build a card model of Royal Katherine from 1664. I do not have exact plans so I will proceed according to other plans of ships from 17th century - HMS Sussex and HMS Prince and use information from professional literature as well. I like great challenges and connection of fun and education, so I am looking forward to this project very much. The model will be created in the scale of 1/55,  so there is an oportunity to create many details in a higher level of quality.  
During creation of previous models I have received many valuable and professional information about sailing ships, their construction and fitting from one of the greatest experts - Captain K.L. who has taught me a lot and I will also use his advice here.
5911abb0420b9_HMSRoyalKatherine.thumb.jpg.51d048cb6ba56ac1943dee07de3b8213.jpg

The main build log you can find here:

http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=110763

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

Hull construction

All parts are made of card and glued together to the appropriate thickness.

The shapes of bulkheads are based on HMS Sussex's plans, but I found there many inaccuracies and mistakes!!

http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=110763&start=30#p1990405

So it was necessary to modify proportions and make correction. Other parts of the hull are taken from plans HMS Prince.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Doris

Current build:

G'day Doris 

I'm so glad that you are back! I'll have front row centre in the production with baited breath.

Havagooday 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hey howya goin Doris mate, I'll be following along with this build.   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Hi Doris - 

Great to see you back in the shipyard.  What you do with cardboard is truly spectacular.  I will be following along with great interest.

Be well

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Hello Doris it is great to be able to see another one of your models take shape. Your skill at turning such a humble material into very elegant models is a joy to watch.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

so happy to see your back to the table!    pulling up a chair to watch another of your masterpieces come together :)   what a sweet looking hull!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Doris,

I was missing your posts over the last months and hope you may find time again to share your brilliant work with your MSW fellow members.

I am with Druxey and Michael with my compliments and gladly look forward to your progress with this new project. Es ist wunderbar !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Wonderful Doris

You have found another beautiful ship to build in front of your spell bound audiance , Hours of fantastic viewing ahead for one and all.

Welcome back and thank you so much

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

So good seeing you back. Please allow me to join you with this fantastic build.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Doris!!

I couldn´t have come back on a better time! To see your ships again is such a delight and, more than that, great inspiration. Taking a seat to follow and surely be mesmerized by your talent.

Hi Doris,

I've wanted to witness your process for some time!  I am so excited to see you build the Katherine, and I will definitely be following along.  Your work is really exceptional!

Regards,

Marc

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Dear friends,
I appreciate your kind words a lot and advice. Thank you very much. That is a great honour for me. I have to say I was thinking about HMS Royal Katherine for a long  time. Finally I have found the courage to start this large project and would like to share it with you...

Here you can see the complete stern of the model, some gunports and other details on the hull were changed to be more accurate and corresponding to the position in the painting of the real ship. 

3.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Doris

Current build:

The deck in the central part of the ship is covered by tapes from plastic foils, that I use on all my card models to imitate wooden look..

The inner parts of the model are already covered with a second layer of carton and bases for the upper decks.

I have also a handsome helper who makes me a companion during model-builing.:D

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Doris

Current build:

G'day Doris 

It's very interesting so far. Are you going to do your wonderful interior in this ship as you did in the Royal Caroline?

Did you say it's almost 3kg? That's quite heavy considering it is made from cardboard. 

As I said before, can't wait for more logs from you.

Havagooday 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

16 minutes ago, Sailor1234567890 said:

How long does the card last once the model is completed? Seems to me if you're not careful with storing it, it could deteriorate easily. Beautiful work you've done there.

It takes me sometimes more than 2-3 years, than the model is finished. There is no problem with these card models, I use high quality and efficient impregnation, so the models are similarly durable as wooden. At home i have more than 20 years old card models and they still look like new.

Here you can see the finished second layer of planking, made of cardboard as well.I use various thickness of this material - from 0,5mm to 2mm.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Doris

Current build:

I've also got 2 hand raised cocktails. 

I wouldn't let them near my model incase their beaks start to chew. One is a girl and she's is only for me and the other is a boy and he will go to anyone. He's a huge talker..... about 50 words in his vocabulary and he whistles 2 songs.

Greg 

20 minutes ago, Greg the peg leg sailor said:

G'day Doris 

It's very interesting so far. Are you going to do your wonderful interior in this ship as you did in the Royal Caroline?

Did you say it's almost 3kg? That's quite heavy considering it is made from cardboard. 

As I said before, can't wait for more logs from you.

Havagooday 

Greg 

Hello Greg, 
of course, I am going to make interior sections of the model (upper decks) - in the high level of detail. That is my favourite part of work.

Best regards,

Doris

Doris

Current build: