HMS ROYAL KATHERINE 1664 by Doris - 1/55 - CARD

Hi Doris,

Yesterday, I was surfing through Pinterest, as I often do, when I found this image of a VDV ship portrait.  It was not specifically identified as the RK, but it certainly seems to be her. If you haven't seen this, I thought you might appreciate the wealth of detail that is apparent, here:

597e0e4ed9868_RoyalKatherine.jpg.0872f37c74975e1f2762f6e0d1996241.jpg

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Doris,

It was actually one of your models that I first saw on Youtube all lit up that inspired me to want to pursue model ship building. It's wonderful and a privilege to watch you work.

Bill 

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Hi DOris,

I've been away from the site for a while, I'm glad to see you are still providing your excellent work.  I'm following along

THX

J

Edited by jct

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello dear friends,
I did not continue on the model during the summer, but now the conditions are better and more free time, so I am here again with new pics.
Thank you very much for your compliments and kind words, this is really honour for me and your advices and ideas are much appreciated. 

There were added some details/moldings on the hull and I also decided to change colour on wales to achieve more realistic result - I proceeded according to the original painting. The black stripe is now situated about 1cm lower.

Best regards

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

On 1. 6. 2017 at 2:10 PM, Hubac'sHistorian said:

Doris - as ever, your talent shines through with a capital T!  Is there a wait list, among your friends, to have their likeness modeled and placed somewhere on the ship?  That is such a wonderful and personal touch that must make the experience of sharing your models that much more rewarding.  If I ever get to know you well enough that you would include me on one of your ships, I hope that you will give my likeness a full hair restoration!

Well, I am going to create several crew members for Royal Katherine, so you will have opportunity to be one of them.:-)

Doris

Current build:

On 30. 7. 2017 at 6:52 PM, Hubac'sHistorian said:

Hi Doris,

Yesterday, I was surfing through Pinterest, as I often do, when I found this image of a VDV ship portrait.  It was not specifically identified as the RK, but it certainly seems to be her. If you haven't seen this, I thought you might appreciate the wealth of detail that is apparent, here:

597e0e4ed9868_RoyalKatherine.jpg.0872f37c74975e1f2762f6e0d1996241.jpg

Very nice image, thank you very much for sharing. I believe, this could be very helpfull for me - especially the front section and all those beautiful details.

Doris

Current build:

Nice seeing you back again here Doris and your mod on the wale looks terif. I assume you are going to put some lights in her so the crew wont stumble in the dark.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 4 months later...

Hello dear friends,
I am spending plenty of time studying literature and browsing historical ship models and paintings to achieve more realistic result in my work. I also made several plastic kits to relax and enjoyed something easier. For example Yacht Atlantic, Yacht Corsair ii (ITC models), CSS Alabama, USS America, Constitution, Napoleon and others...). You can look through them here:

http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=114818

http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=109487

http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=118521

Now I continue with the upper deck and details below. Soon I will start creating first decorations and I am looking for relevant information based on original design.

I have for example this book, but it is in Swedish language.

https://www.archaeology.su.se/english/about-us/news/new-book-by-niklas-eriksson-riksäpplet-arkeologiska-perspektiv-på-ett-bortglömt-regalskepp-1.348854

It is a problem to understand the text, unfortunately I can't find this book in English. Please, could you help me? Don´t you have this book in English language? [Admin Edit: Pls do not ask for pdf versions of commercial books!] I will be very gratefull.:piratebo5:

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

Hi Doris,

nice to see you posting here again, those "interim models" you built look great....

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Doris, 

Regarding the Riksäpplet study, if there is something I know, that would be Swedish... pm me if there is something you want translated.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

such beautiful work Doris........and the fact that it is card makes it even more amazing.  I had a look at your links and I was taken with seeing that you have the C.S.S. Alabama and the U.S.S. Kearsarge....those kits are quite rare in our country.  I built the Alabama in my younger days.....no where near the level that you possess.   your skill is beyond compare.......always a pleasure to see an update  ;)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Doris,

How nice to see you are back with your model of the Royal Katherine. Sorry I can't help with the book in Swedish but the following book may be of help to you.

17th and 18th Century Ship Models from the Kriegstein Collection. Second revised and expanded edition.

It was published by Seawatch Books   ISBN  978-0-9820579-7-1

but unfortunately it does not appear now on their current list. Perhaps your local library could obtain a copy for you. 

Some of the models are of ships of around this period with very good colour photographs nearly all showing the ornamentation,these are:-

The Royal James 1671 1st Rate.

A Charles the second  4th Rate ca 1680.

The Coronation 1685  2nd Rate.

I have this book and it's a treasure. I just checked and see there are copies of the first edition for sale on Abe books but am not sure

how much difference there is from my edition. Probably not a great lot I would think.

Kind regards,

Dave :dancetl6: 

Welcome back, Doris.   The plastic models are wonderful.  Thanks for the links.   The work on Royal Katherine is amazing.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

So good seeing you post again. Wonderful work as always.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hello dear friends,
I do appreciate your kind words and willingness to help. Thank you very much for your helpful advice and ideas for information sources. I have an opportunity to build more realistic model of Royal Katherine so I will be very grateful for your ideas and constructive criticism. 
I found out a few days ago that the book is available only in Swedish unfortunatly, so we can only hope for a translation into English one day..... 

The main deck is already in place and now I am working on various details around it and also prepare other decks and upper construction. The hull - although it is made of card -  is very solid and heavy. The model weights more than 5kg and the hull is over 1m long.

Here are newest pics, I hope you´ll enjoy them:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Doris

Current build:

a beautiful hull Doris,

it is amazing how you get the satin tan color of the planking done in card, looks wonderful....:)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Dear friends, 
I am pleased you like my work on RK. 
To achieve the satin tan color of the planking I use Tamiya acrylic colours - matt shades of brown, white and black.... strongly thinned by original acrylic thinner and paint retarder (both Tamiya). I apply a very thin layer of color and after drying I overspray the surface using flat clear varnish TS-80 also from Tamiya.

Now I am finishing with decks planking:

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Doris