HMS ROYAL KATHERINE 1664 by Doris - 1/55 - CARD

clapping.gif.07d20d696f51d032224d44d0cc68fe2a.gifclapping.gif.07d20d696f51d032224d44d0cc68fe2a.gifclapping.gif.07d20d696f51d032224d44d0cc68fe2a.gifclapping.gif.07d20d696f51d032224d44d0cc68fe2a.gifclapping.gif.07d20d696f51d032224d44d0cc68fe2a.gifclapping.gif.07d20d696f51d032224d44d0cc68fe2a.gifclapping.gif.07d20d696f51d032224d44d0cc68fe2a.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

What a joy it is to follow your work Doris. The video showing how you artfully created such a complex shape with the most simple tools. You clearly demonstrate A great skill that can only come with a tremendous amount of practice. You do make it look so easy and we all know it is not.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Doris,

Masterful,and very impressive. I might have missed it what is your sculpting medium- wood, clay or something else. The details are fantastic at that scale.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

such amazing progress.........one can see that you enjoy sculpting  ;)    very beautiful work......the stern is a work of art!   I'm sure there's more to be added.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Indeed very beautiful work Doris. I'm speechless.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hello dear friends, 
I am pleased you rate my work so nicely. Thank you very much for your praise. That is a great honour for me.

Hubac'sHistorian: Thank you for your recommendation for an interesting book and comment. Yes, I already know this book from Captain KL, who also recommended it on Czech Modelforum:
http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=110763&start=255#p2091317

There is also a beautiful video with 3D reconstruction of the HMS Anne:

Well, the stern section on my model is not finished yet and there are no reinforcement inside the hull and stern section. The quarter and poop deck are also only free laid at this time. After finishing the shape/arc in the upper part of stern will be improved to the real appearance.

Your observation is really great and thank you for the notice.

Oh yes, I like sculpting and making high level of details as possible.....

Now I had more free time, so I created other decoration on the stern section. 

There are already more than fifty pieces of decoration  (mainly caryatideson) on  the model. I suppose, I will need more than 1000 pieces for this ship.:D

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

I also decided to make another modification, because I was not satisfied with a design of leadlights at all. They did not correspond to reality and there were also significant mistakes with axial symmetry. All these leadlights were carefully removed and replaced by new ones. I followed expert advice by Captain KL (Kpt.KL) who helps me to move the model to greater historical accuracy. You can find his comments and very useful information on Czech Modelforum:
http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=110763&start=345#p2100497

http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=110763&start=345#p2100586

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

And here is the model placed among my other card sailing ships. Probably the Royal Katherine will be exposed together with my currently best card model  - Sovereign of the Seas. 

I love this room in our house; we call it a "harbor", cause you can see more than 40 ship models there.

http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=114818&start=75#p2074117

Enjoy the pics.

Best regards,

Doris

23.jpg

22.jpg

21.jpg

20.jpg

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

Fantastic Doris,

40 ships !..... how do you keep the dust off ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Doris,

Carvings are exceptional what material do use wood, clay, wood composite.

Thanks

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

I did actually notice the original leaded lights were not quite right, but decided not to mention it. I'm so glad someone else did and that the new ones are so much better! Nicely re-done, Doris.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hello dear friends,
thank you very much for your comments and praise. I do appreciate it a lot.

On 3. 4. 2018 at 9:19 AM, montañes said:

I surrender at your feet, Doris.
It is something impressive

I also admire your work, Amalio, it's amazing and I find there a great inspiration. Thank you.

On 3. 4. 2018 at 9:58 AM, Mirabell61 said:

Fantastic Doris,

40 ships !..... how do you keep the dust off ?

Nils

Well, people often ask me about this......  In fact, there is not a problem with dust in this room, cause there is limited movement of persons - we usually sit in the armchairs, listen to music and enjoy the beauty of the ships.... Some of them are illuminated which creates a special atmosphere in the dark. Only once in a few years I pull the models out and gently clean them using a soft brush...

On 3. 4. 2018 at 12:26 PM, John Allen said:

Doris,

Carvings are exceptional what material do use wood, clay, wood composite.

Thanks

The carvings are made of clay/mass and after finishing are baked in oven.
A lot of information is available also in my older build log - Royal Caroline or here:

http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=85813

On 3. 4. 2018 at 3:13 PM, druxey said:

I did actually notice the original leaded lights were not quite right, but decided not to mention it. I'm so glad someone else did and that the new ones are so much better! Nicely re-done, Doris.

I do appreciate when people point out the mistakes in my work. I show my work publicly because I'm interested in people's opinions and have no problem with constructive criticism. So do not hesitate and please tell me, if you notice some mistakes. I would like to improve my work and create more realistic models. I am also interested about infromation about real ships. I enjoy making models as well as education.

The leaded lights are completely replaced, here you can see original ones which remained after the repairs:

1.thumb.jpg.25b034ec0ec87b9cacc5f114845df343.jpg

Doris

Current build:

Yesterday I created other pieces of decoration on stern according to a model of Saint Michael (1669).

SM4.jpg.24a21c0ac6ec59beac7139210527468a.jpg

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/65963.html

The sculptures are more detailed in comparison with decoration on my older ship models.

HMS Royal Katherine výřez.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

8.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Doris

Current build:

On 3. 4. 2018 at 4:48 PM, amateur said:

Hi Doris,

That was very a good change you made!

The new windows do look far better than the old ones.

Jan

Thank you, Jan, I am also glad, I decided to change them. Nobody is perfect, but I try to do things better if possible.

Doris

Current build:

Good morning Doris, reviewing your model is a great way to be inspired at the beginning of my day. Your attitude about replacing parts that can be improved is exemplary, great work replaced by excellent work, because you know it can be improved after receiving more knowledge.

You do set a very high bar indeed.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

always amazed with the modeling you do.... ;)    your sculpting is so perfect!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello dear friends,

I am pleased, you like my sculpting and work on the Royal Katherine. Thank you very much for your comments and kind words.

On 5. 4. 2018 at 3:14 PM, michael mott said:

Good morning Doris, reviewing your model is a great way to be inspired at the beginning of my day. Your attitude about replacing parts that can be improved is exemplary, great work replaced by excellent work, because you know it can be improved after receiving more knowledge.

You do set a very high bar indeed.

Michael

Dear Michael, 

I do appreciate your praise, thank you.

The possibility of improvement is very important for me in my life and also in my hobbies. It is a great motivation to search better technologies and progresses or utilization of various methods from other fields. For example I do the "detailing" for many years - this represents a high level of precise care of real cars (especially their paint/varnish) and I use my own technology = a special waxes prepared exactly according to the type and condition of the paint. This allows me to achieve perfect  and durable results in a gentle way, and it si also environmentally friendly, cause I can use only clean water without a shampoo to wash the car. And these waxes I use on my models as well to achieve better finish and more realistic look. For example the wooden part of hull planking on the Royal Katherine model was gently polished by such wax and thanks to that the wooden imitation looks so naturally.

Even while building models, I'm still learning and improving my abilities to make the results worth it.

I have finished other pieces of decoration on the stern and QG on starboard. Now I am searching for an optimal location of the decks and floors on stern cabins. I would like to make it according to real English ships from that period but I must admit this is not easy at all.....  I have already received a lot of useful and professional  infromation about this matter from my advisor Kpt.KL. He also describes the position of decks on real 17th-century ships on Czech Modelforum, cause many people there are very interested in realistic building of ship models as well.

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=110763&start=375#p2104504

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Doris

Current build: