HMS ROYAL KATHERINE 1664 by Doris - 1/55 - CARD

Doris,

breathtaking artwork, your beautiful ornamentation is wunderbar !!

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Doris ton travail est toujours aussi fin et soigné dans les détails. Le résultat est magnifique. Je te souhaite bon courage pour la suite et aussi que tout se passe bien pour toi.

Amitiés 

Francis

I added a translaton:  Doris your work is always fine and neat in detail. The result is magnificent. I wish you good luck for the future and also that everything is going well for you.

Hello dear friends,

I do appreciate your comments and wishes, thank you all very much. I am pleased you like my work.

On 11/4/2018 at 8:57 PM, SJSoane said:

Beautiful work, Doris. I apologize if I missed it earlier in your post, but are you making negative moulds into which you press the clay? If so, are you carving those from wood?

Mark

Every piece of decoration is handmade, there are not used any moulds, cause I prefer to create each one as an original. 

On 11/5/2018 at 3:46 AM, Dziadeczek said:

Doris, I would like very much to see your sculpting tools. A couple of pics, please, if possible?

No problem, here are my secondary tools:

15.thumb.jpg.c90bf4ec3aa56c5d447e48c889894255.jpg

And here the  main ones 😊:

16.thumb.jpg.cb9c490d893bf196f7861ebb3c892c72.jpg

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

I have decided to modify the position of fore mast and move it  bit forward, to achieve more realistic result according to real ships from this period. 

Here you can see previous position of fore mast:

17.thumb.jpg.e36c41b0666692bdfa65628354334f70.jpg

After adjustment:

18.thumb.jpg.3243e0ec4487c37691adcdb1e65a672d.jpg19.thumb.jpg.7d7eda2bab55e026c638c7167a941389.jpg22.thumb.jpg.bb630b6e2ca7a6e88f92b1f7744a5759.jpg23.thumb.jpg.712dc889b858c159fc0dff714ae1c168.jpg24.thumb.jpg.3808d201d60fbb554c8438ab1b974559.jpg20.thumb.jpg.05207da5e48627b17eff31ade3613483.jpg21.thumb.jpg.06dac0fbe307c13b148b84b33d039e5a.jpg

Kind regards,

Doris

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

One word. 

IMPRESSIVE 

It is amazing what you accomplish with card. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Stunning work Doris, I was grinning from ear to ear when you showed the secondary tools first, and then the main ones, and it is so clear that you love this work.

I hope that the things in life that are harder for you, become easier. Be well!

Regards Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

On 7/10/2018 at 1:04 PM, DORIS said:

Well, I modified and improved the statue of horse (head, neck and other details). I must say, I am much more satisfied with the result now.

Doris, while you do have some good sculpting technique, I feel that you must have more than that.  You seem to have a very artistic flair when it comes to making these figures.  Did you ever have any formal artistic schooling or is this a skill that you come by naturally? 

In either case you are very accomplished at it.  While your ship models themselves are excellent, your skill at sculpting is really exceptional! :imNotWorthy:  Personally, I have had a bit of art schooling, but it is more of the two dimensional variety, while your work in three dimensions is another thing entirely.  I think one has to have some natural talent to see and shape things in 3 rather than 2 dimensions.  Sadly I don't, but none the less I can see by your work that you do.

Keep up the good work, I really enjoy seeing your progress on your ship, as I'm sure the rest of us at MSW would agree.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

I am catching up, again, Doris.  Thank you for posting these magnificent pictures of your work.  The sculpting is beyond any words I could offer.  Just amazing.

Ed

it always a treat when I poke my head in the scratch build forum and I see an update from you and your fabulous ship :)   your work is so amazing and always brings a smile to my face.......I even show the admiral your work.   darned if she doesn't say........."so,  what's the matter with you!"  :D  :D    I could never emulate such beautiful work.........your pieces are so delicately made ;)    I am though.........hard pressed where you put the shield in post #380?!?!?!   you said "bow decorations"...............where did you put it?  :blink:

I hope you are well and your problems are light {or on the mend......you had been ill a while ago}.    :imNotWorthy:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Similarly to Popeye I printed off the pictures from one of your builds of the cabin, with all the tables chairs, cabinets and table decorations and showed them to my work colleagues and they looked at those photographs in pure disbelief especially as I told them it was made out of card.  I now have those photographs on my workshop wall, in the hope they can give me inspiration.

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

Life challenges have done nothing to diminish your talents, Doris.  As always, the work is superb, and I really appreciate your willingness to make alterations for authenticity, as your understanding of the ship evolves.  Your efforts are what this site is all about, and we are all beneficiaries.

Here's to better days ahead :dancetl6:

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Dear friends,
I am very pleased with your comments and appreciate your words and "likes" a lot. That is a great honour for me. Thank you all very much, my friends.

Life challenges are sometimes very hard and bring a lot of cruel moments, but I believe, everything has its reason and will give us experience to be stronger in future.
Thank you for your wishes and support. I believe it will be better.

On 11/6/2018 at 11:28 PM, BETAQDAVE said:

Doris, while you do have some good sculpting technique, I feel that you must have more than that.  You seem to have a very artistic flair when it comes to making these figures.  Did you ever have any formal artistic schooling or is this a skill that you come by naturally? 

In either case you are very accomplished at it.  While your ship models themselves are excellent, your skill at sculpting is really exceptional! :imNotWorthy:  Personally, I have had a bit of art schooling, but it is more of the two dimensional variety, while your work in three dimensions is another thing entirely.  I think one has to have some natural talent to see and shape things in 3 rather than 2 dimensions.  Sadly I don't, but none the less I can see by your work that you do.

Keep up the good work, I really enjoy seeing your progress on your ship, as I'm sure the rest of us at MSW would agree.

I have these skills naturally. I wanted to study at artistic school, but unfortunately I did not get occasion and my family hadn´t money for this. 
Despite this I have raised my skills and still continue. Nobody is perfect but the most important is to want to learn and look for new ways, how to improve. 
I enjoy to create beauty and share with my family and friends.

On 11/7/2018 at 11:18 PM, popeye the sailor said:

.........  I am though.........hard pressed where you put the shield in post #380?!?!?!   you said "bow decorations"...............where did you put it?  :blink:

In fact I often create several extra pieces of decoration and after harden I decide what will look better on final result. The shield could be placed at the horseman, but finally I did not use it. I already have a lot of similar ornaments I did not use for the model.

On 11/8/2018 at 12:06 AM, Richmond said:

Similarly to Popeye I printed off the pictures from one of your builds of the cabin, with all the tables chairs, cabinets and table decorations and showed them to my work colleagues and they looked at those photographs in pure disbelief especially as I told them it was made out of card.  I now have those photographs on my workshop wall, in the hope they can give me inspiration.

That´s a very nice surprise for me, thank you for your appreciation. I have also found here on MSW plenty of great inspiration and admire what people here are able to create.

On 11/10/2018 at 3:19 AM, Hubac's Historian said:

Life challenges have done nothing to diminish your talents, Doris.  As always, the work is superb, and I really appreciate your willingness to make alterations for authenticity, as your understanding of the ship evolves.  Your efforts are what this site is all about, and we are all beneficiaries.

Here's to better days ahead :dancetl6:

Your words mean a lot for me. The historical authenticity of the model is very important for me and gives the work greater value. I mostly do not build the models according to commercial plans, but prefer to follow historical resources and verified information based on archaeological findings, admiralty models and paintings and engravings from that period. 

As I have written here, I am very grateful to cooperate with a top expert and experienced naval Captain (Kpt.KL) who helps me and my colleagues on Czech forum to achieve more realistic performance of ship models. His advice is very professional and brings many priceless and interesting information about real ships, their construction and history. 

I believe, his comments and advice can be very useful also for you. Here are some links; it is in Czech language, so you can use Google translator, but plenty of links and pictures can also help to understand:

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=110763&start=630#p2160401

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=110763&start=645#p2160711

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=110763&start=645#p2160843

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=112832&start=90#p2159765

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=112832&start=105#p2159849

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=112832&start=105#p2161069

Best regards, 

Doris

Doris

Current build:

And now, what's new on model....

Plenty of other pieces of desoration were added on the model and I decided to imitate treenails and iron bolts on planking. 

1.thumb.jpg.13fbe7e145696154e129422317588cf6.jpg2.thumb.jpg.04c38ee66b63f30976b24c53e7ce61f1.jpg3.thumb.jpg.8fcc62ac3ee693ea53ac115a6f3136e1.jpg4.thumb.jpg.a4771068c103b08454c0d40baa34ad61.jpg5.thumb.jpg.ebdb1917e99602bb58db78a6ded28ccb.jpg6.thumb.jpg.2967f7c5d14413977836d8279aaac587.jpg7.thumb.jpg.fa4d38bab7fe5917a1601a6ba73b6b34.jpg8.thumb.jpg.5f8fa41e6a1b893212db96cc37f103dc.jpg9.thumb.jpg.b88d9cb137a118eff712b990b234e1a6.jpg

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

As always very beautiful work. The tree nails are very realistic

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Good question, Dirk. The English also made repairs and replacements easier by through-bolts that were forelocked. How early this practice began, I'm not sure. 

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 3 weeks later...

Hello dear friends, 
that is a great honour for me reading your praise and kind words. Thank you very much.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:16 AM, Dubz said:

Hello Doris,

your work is outstanding! One question, you have these thicker bolts directly beside the gunports (these are for the gun breeching rope inside) afaik this were a french technique not an english one. Is it verified for the Royal Katherine?

cheers,

Dirk

Hello Dirk,
I suppose it is O.K. on Royal Katherine cause I saw these bolt for example in plans and drawings of HMS LENOX 1678 (she is also the Restoration warship) and there are such bolts beside the gunports:8213667884_6013677009_k.thumb.jpg.b6e6be74f09c3ab70574beb87e4f5bae.jpg

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

Hello Doris, thanks for the new update, I have a question about how you handle such fine delicate parts and how you attach them to the model. After you have made the fine parts and they are "Baked" then I am assuming that then you paint them.  But after that then you show us them on a new sheet and then on the model. Can you share some information about the way you handle these last two steps?

And I forgot to say that the work in simply amazing.

Michael 

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.