HMS ROYAL KATHERINE 1664 by Doris - 1/55 - CARD

1 hour ago, Ab Hoving said:

Still learning every day :-)).

Me too.😊

I have just finished the entry port on the other side, here is the result. Enjoy the pics and have a great time.

1.thumb.jpg.65da30bd371b3d0127dac9092e92a6e5.jpg2.thumb.jpg.36d69b4cc8a220996d77e6eac201ea97.jpg3.thumb.jpg.8ff8255e092a76c9631d0904a0ca6314.jpg4.thumb.jpg.f7efb1f62f71deffdc77b9a99bd6d4c5.jpg6.thumb.jpg.eeef7ae5ea9109fcf7bd59eb5847ea49.jpg7.thumb.jpg.f0b89d21e0e79ec510445aea29fcd077.jpg8.thumb.jpg.b470dded4a0ba81d5ea19bbe3360a8f6.jpg11.thumb.jpg.8f34468ee5616904d8bb53c1648b170f.jpg12.thumb.jpg.e083759faffe030e163a1f7c0f4a13f4.jpg

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

Hello Albert and thank you very much for your praise.

Would you like to go on board of the Royal Katherine?

No problem, here you have some stairs😎:

1.thumb.jpg.1b447f4a6cf723de80bbd1b70c780314.jpg3.thumb.jpg.c719118709668010b6e53f9f8622ac1e.jpg4.thumb.jpg.d815d2b7552a87f12e9f80178e995e7c.jpg5.thumb.jpg.f716bf4d675cf6a1d379f566d09bacb7.jpg

Best regards

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

1 hour ago, DORIS said:

These stairs are made of wood,

Of course, all of us do realize that paper is merely a by product of wood anyway, right?  ;)

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Beautiful work Doris! I wish I would have learned your technique with clay prior to carving my decorations from wood on Soleil Royal as I think I would have been more successful using that medium instead of wood. I think I will attempt your way on Royal Louis when it is time as you have been a great source of inspiration and the results speak for themselves.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Hello dear friends, 
thank you for your comments and "likes", I am pleased you like my work.

20 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Of course, all of us do realize that paper is merely a by product of wood anyway, right?  ;)

That's right as well. Card/paper is my main building material for making models since I was 6 years old.

20 hours ago, EJ_L said:

Beautiful work Doris! I wish I would have learned your technique with clay prior to carving my decorations from wood on Soleil Royal as I think I would have been more successful using that medium instead of wood. I think I will attempt your way on Royal Louis when it is time as you have been a great source of inspiration and the results speak for themselves.

I like sharing my techniques with people and I am glad to help. Everything needs time and experience, my first decorations were not very good, but I continued and did not give up.  And finally I found the ways, how to do things better and have to say, there are always possibilities to improve.

I wish you great success and pleasure in making models and decorating them.

Today I continued with other details on the hull - there are three external ribs ( I do not know, how to name it in English), I made them out of card and finished with self adhesive foils and thinned paint. At this moment there are completed on port.

0.jpg.3b01a70eb2f9ed1d578762975fc7953e.jpg01.thumb.jpg.4378862d6998fc419950e4b477175e7f.jpg02.thumb.jpg.75ebbca21f798da995e4e9d55a7aa3ab.jpg03.thumb.jpg.2f356815de64e04d43c6d1deb090f4f2.jpg04.thumb.jpg.923adbcf16a31937fc5545af0b6e1e7d.jpg05.thumb.jpg.47cc939212f782804d3397b052061c4f.jpg1.thumb.jpg.5e294d8e29ea5fb84f0a32cb6a442aef.jpg2.thumb.jpg.bb360d4896f1d7c47beb48465b295f91.jpg3.thumb.jpg.e423c114b79d0b4d2f85651f0883fe69.jpg4.thumb.jpg.ae055c2195576d75a8ddb0923a827e8a.jpg5.thumb.jpg.80ce6a90886193572b48a870e8f426cb.jpg6.thumb.jpg.9349392ab78be78cdc03b4c0102022b5.jpg

Kind regards,

Doris

Doris

Current build:

That is one fiddly piece of trim to make!  Not only does it have to follow the double curve of the hull, but also had to have notches cut to match.  Did you wrap it with three separate pieces of foil or just one?  If it was one piece, how did you avoid having the foil on the two sides bunch up when making the foil go over the curved surface of the trim? 

Dave

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Well, each piece is assembled and glued together from three accurate parts made out of card and sprayed/painted with body- filler (usually used for cars) and brown colour. After drying and fine grinding it is wrapped with three separate pieces of foil. It is necessary to warm the surface to provide sufficient adhesion. In the end I use thinned brown colours and matt clear varnish (Tamiya TS-80) to improve the final look.

Best regards,

Doris

Doris

Current build:

Or more commonly known as fenders, I only know this as I have just fitted steps, fenders and chesstrees  to my Sirius 😀

Beautiful work Doris, something to aspire too

Regards

Paul 

Edited by paulsutcliffe

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Hello Doris,

I just came across this build and I am speechless.  I don't think this can be called a model anymore.  I am thinking more like a piece of art.  Your talent and attention to detail is on a level all its own.  Thank you for sharing your methods and giving us something to aspire to.

Tom

Hello Doris,

What a magnificent piece of art you are creating!  I am literally feasting my eyes, again and again.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hello dear friends,
I am pleased reading your words, thank you all very much and also appreciate your "likes". I'm flattered by your praise.

20 hours ago, Hubac's Historian said:

In English, those pieces are known as skids.

20 hours ago, paulsutcliffe said:

Or more commonly known as fenders, I only know this as I have just fitted steps, fenders and chesstrees  to my Sirius 😀

Beautiful work Doris, something to aspire too

Regards

Paul 

Great, thank you very much for your help.👍

18 hours ago, toms10 said:

Hello Doris,

......Thank you for sharing your methods and giving us something to aspire to.

Tom

Hello Tom, 

no problem, I am glad I can help and share my tutorials with people here. If you have any questions, just ask.😉

12 hours ago, Piet said:

Hello Doris,

What a magnificent piece of art you are creating!  I am literally feasting my eyes, again and again.

Cheers,

Hello Piet, 
I really enjoy sculpting on ship models. I looked forward to making decoration since beginning of this project.

Today I finished skids/fenders on the starboard and soon I will move to cabins and under the decks... 

Here are newest pics, so enjoy them:

1.thumb.jpg.2728da43375e9583e57c6f9514902ca8.jpg2.thumb.jpg.e31bc96bf572a352277ac41ff9a745ec.jpg3.thumb.jpg.7131b621a05b4e97cfc2fc990d94e886.jpg4.thumb.jpg.82af52b06ed3ffaf6c4b708adb456a4a.jpg

Best regards,

Doris

Doris

Current build:

I may have missed this Doris....but when you mention (*foil tape*) that you used to simulate the planking...is that copper foil sticky back tape you use?

And then you paint it?

I never actually saw your technique in action...just the after effects.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Hello dear friends,
I appreciate your support and comments a lot. Thank you all very much.

15 hours ago, zappto said:

Just stunning work, all the decorations come from the past! Wonderful!

Well, I tried to create all these decorations according to museum models and original paintings from 17th century.  I care about the greatest possible historical accuracy.

12 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

I may have missed this Doris....but when you mention (*foil tape*) that you used to simulate the planking...is that copper foil sticky back tape you use?

And then you paint it?

I never actually saw your technique in action...just the after effects.

Rob

This is my own technique and I use it more than 20 years. It allows me to achieve wooden look on paper models, but also on some plastic kits - for example I can make better and more realistic planking on ship hull or decks. These self-adhesive foils are very thin, they are kind of plastic or vinyl. I have already written about this, but if you wish, I will take some pics from progress when I work with this material. Soon I will make interior of cabins and there will be used these foils as well.

Here are some links, where you can see, how I work with foils:

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=43575&start=180#p902161

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=43575&start=210#p930223

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=43575&start=240#p979994

Painting (with thinned Tamiya acrylic colours) is used to achieve more natural look and weathering.

12 hours ago, Hubac's Historian said:

Will you represent the anchor linings, beneath the fore chanels?

Well, on Vale´s painting it is shown, so I am going to make them as well.

Do you mind this one?

4.thumb.jpg.ab504f9e5ad70c444b7745a47ca6a9e3.jpg

7 hours ago, druxey said:

Utterly exceptional, Doris!

Thank you, I am really pleased reading your words.

Here are some current pics of RK in real colours on daylight:

10.thumb.jpg.ed36764fad3dcbe63692a88973c896e8.jpg11.thumb.jpg.8ca9ab915d5b197d9afa7775527e80c8.jpg12.thumb.jpg.7847a4b2950e3e4ffb396a3063df086b.jpg13.thumb.jpg.680f0de8c87403bd11e2508490205977.jpg

Kind regards

Doris

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

Yes, I noticed this detail in another closeup of the Vale painting.  It appears to be placed a cannon port further aft than is customarily depicted (on other ships), but then the anchor shank is shown to be correspondingly long.  The sweep of this anchor and the placement of the lining in the Vale painting correspond nicely in the Vale painting.  I am not sure what the correct answer is, there, but I suspect it can be seen more clearly in one of the Van de Velde sketches of the ship.

Having just done that - at least one VDV portrait (which doesn’t actually show the lining) shows an anchor being raised (or lowered?) along the side of the ship, in the same location.  Perhaps there are other, more detailed portraits, but it would seem Vale and VDV agree with each other.

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

5 hours ago, DORIS said:

This is my own technique and I use it more than 20 years. It allows me to achieve wooden look on paper models, but also on some plastic kits - for example I can make better and more realistic planking on ship hull or decks. These self-adhesive foils are very thin, they are kind of plastic or vinyl. I have already written about this, but if you wish, I will take some pics from progress when I work with this material. Soon I will make interior of cabins and there will be used these foils as well.

Here are some links, where you can see, how I work with foils:

I am glad you expounded further for my benefit.  I was not privy to your original explanation on this technique.

Several questions, if I may?

What is your source for these *foils*? Do they come in several widths or are you limited to the width they are made in?  Do they come pre-colored and then you modify the color as you have described?

If memory serves me correctly....I think this material is a self adhering vinyl....used primarily for furniture repair and for simulated wood applications.

I noticed you used the material on the wood floor of the cabin you were dressing out.  And a similar wood grained material on the walls.

Your application of this material is nothing short of amazing.

Rob(Why the hair dryer?)

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Upon further investigation...I commend you on your tedious attention to the repetitious.

The material you are using is exactly what I thought it was.  A vinyl lament used to cover MDF and to simulate wood.

It can be purchased in a plethora of colors and grains. 

Your extensive use of it is very evident and well executed.  The only draw back for me is that you have to cut every plank/panel by hand.

Cutting many strips requires good strong edges and clean even lines....you , evidently have mastered that.

I appreciate your use of it as trim...molding...and edging.  Painting it gold, brown, black.....whatever color you need.  Wonderful!

Casting the hundreds of figurines and molding, using a master mold is also quite industrious....Great Job!

Now that I have a background on your technique...I see you have mastered it and the results are exquisite.

Wonderful...just wonderful.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

1 hour ago, rwiederrich said:

The material you are using is exactly what I thought it was.  A vinyl lament used to cover MDF and to simulate wood.

It can be purchased in a plethora of colors and grains. 

Your extensive use of it is very evident and well executed.  The only draw back for me is that you have to cut every plank/panel by hand.

Cutting many strips requires good strong edges and clean even lines

Rob

I don't know how Doris cuts them, but a simple method that I employ is the use of an inexpensive rotary cutter.  If you look in my build log in the plastic kits under the whaler Wanderer dated June 8, I illustrated how it is easily accomplished with this tool. 

1 hour ago, rwiederrich said:

Rob(Why the hair dryer?)

As to the hair dryer, according to Doris, it helps improve the adhesion of the foils.  From my experience with her methods, this does seem to be the case.

Dave

6 minutes ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Rob

I don't know how Doris cuts them, but a simple method that I employ is the use of an inexpensive rotary cutter.  If you look in my build log in the plastic kits under the whaler Wanderer dated June 8, I illustrated how it is easily accomplished with this tool. 

As to the hair dryer, according to Doris, it helps improve the adhesion of the foils.  From my experience with her methods, this does seem to be the case.

I have several rotary cutters...but you still need to draw it along the edge of a straight edge of some kind...to maintain evenness.

I hope she pipes in and will honor us with her method...

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

12 minutes ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Her...with this material it is recommended to use an iron to heat and secure the adhesive.  I believe she is using the dryer in lieu of the iron.

She probably heats up the area to aid in activating the adhesive.

Rob 

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

3 hours ago, Hubac's Historian said:

Yes, I noticed this detail in another closeup of the Vale painting.  It appears to be placed a cannon port further aft than is customarily depicted (on other ships), but then the anchor shank is shown to be correspondingly long.  The sweep of this anchor and the placement of the lining in the Vale painting correspond nicely in the Vale painting.  I am not sure what the correct answer is, there, but I suspect it can be seen more clearly in one of the Van de Velde sketches of the ship.

Having just done that - at least one VDV portrait (which doesn’t actually show the lining) shows an anchor being raised (or lowered?) along the side of the ship, in the same location.  Perhaps there are other, more detailed portraits, but it would seem Vale and VDV agree with each other.

That's the question... I am going to analyze all my sources and will decide accordingly. Here are couple of VDV pictures for more inspiration:

15a36d9e80818a9171a0ab4e53bd823c.jpg.d26e8f917b42546aa1a9d7c026c8246c.jpg

30eddee01c21917427f01a0026b086be.thumb.jpg.61bda4700f5a4281b08c84e625ffde76.jpg5048597333_72bb9be009_b.jpg.6337d7f557fe163f2b7ad516de92f568.jpg

334107761_velde-1-portraitoftheEnglish96-gunfirst-rateshipLondon1670-EDIT_.thumb.jpg.8f0805c5b84ac8017eb619acc9bfd737.jpg

Doris

Current build:

About using self adhesive foils......

I am going to bring detailed tutorial with plenty of pictures, how to work with them. I think, this will be better than description only by words.

Using the hair dryer is important for better adhesion and higher temperature allows to soften foils and shape or stretch them perfectly around the surface.

I cut the strips using Tamiya fine craft knife and longer ruler. No special tools are necessary.

tamiya-74053-fine-craft-knife.jpg.53486ed512d850d7350d1f0182b52620.jpg

Here you can see examples of foils available in our country and which I also use:

https://www.tapety-folie.cz/drevo/c-2404/

https://www.kupsi-tapety.cz/samolepici-folie-renovacni-sire-67-5-cm-s-imitaci-dreva/

Best regards,

Doris

Doris

Current build:

I have just placed two seats of ease on the bow. Perhaps there should be other two pieces in middle section of the grating as indicated in drawings of HMS Lenox. I also continue with surface finish of the railings.

Lenox.jpg.07a12c102b70fd5e2a10015d82923083.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.6b76ad7e880bd23f69f7c3474b608376.jpg2.thumb.jpg.6876fd5e6125975fd00a56962143cfb7.jpg3.thumb.jpg.6a0ec7f5c5f8251e082be959a7434443.jpg5.thumb.jpg.91d8ffee29c028676d21308572b17db5.jpg8.thumb.jpg.2fbc5df0acc90bd848a320e24ee17d35.jpg

Kind regards,

Doris

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build: