HMS ROYAL KATHERINE 1664 by Doris - 1/55 - CARD

I just got caught up on your wonderful build log. I want to add my sincere condolences to you on the loss of your husband. I can only imagine your grief. I would be like a small boat adrift in the vast sea if my wife were to pass away before me. I do believe that time helps to heal great wounds and I hope you will find inner peace in due time...

As for your magnificent model, it is simply a masterpiece of art and is certainly one of the most beautiful ship models I have ever seen. Your creativity and skill has few peers. You are indeed one of the finest ship modelers the world has ever seen. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I really smiled at your dog with the snowballs in your video, Doris. It must give you great company and love when you feel alone. I have sent the video link to my Czech family in Prague so that they too can admire your prodigious and amazing output from their varied artistic and technical viewpoints.

Tony

On 1/8/2021 at 6:11 AM, Hubac's Historian said:

Nobody can capture the elegant magnificence of French Baroque ornamentation quite like you.

Just something to consider🙃😉

Hello Doris I was saddened to hear of the loss of your Husband. Your Tribute to him is beautiful. I would think that as you have mentioned how much he loved and supported your work Work is not the right word Your Art your ability to turn humble materials into magnificent models is unparalleled. That your Husband will be championing you in spirit and guiding your next model choice when the time is right.

Thank you for sharing your Art and superior craftsmanship with us to enjoy.

Sincerely Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Dear colleagues and friends,

Thank you all very much for your comments, kind words and support. It means a lot to me and I am pleased that you like the Royal Katherine model in my rendition.

It was a really great challenge when I decided four years ago whether to go for it or not, but despite many difficulties during the building, I do not regret this decision. At the same time, I fulfilled another modeling dream, which I was able to share with you and almost to the end with my husband George. The realisation of this project brought me not only the joy of the hobby itself, but also learning and possibility of expanding the knowledge horizons about real ships, their construction and history.

My main intention was to strive for the most realistic model reconstruction of the real appearance of the Royal Katherine and to point out the various shortcomings and inaccuracies that we often encounter in documents and plans of sailboat models. In addition, I tried to create my model without the use of special tools and from the most available materials as an example of the fact that even a very modest background is not an obstacle to creating a nice and quality model, which makes this hobby available to almost everyone.

None of us can know what the future will bring, but I definitely do not want to give up my hobbies and when I find enthusiasm for a new and interesting project again, I will share it with you. 

01.thumb.jpg.01a86a8930ae78fd02b2e2d664aa493a.jpg

Kind regards and all the best, 

Doris

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

• 3 months later...

Hello Doris

I've only just discovered these threads about your amazing card models, and I have just spent several very enjoyable hours reading through the Royal Caroline and now the Royal Katherine. Your models are amazing, as so many others have already said.  I am very saddened to hear of the passing of your husband George, I hope that you're OK and that one day soon you will feel the energy to start a new model.

Like a lot of your readers I am fascinated by your techniques and how effective they are.  I'm particularly intrigued by your use of adhesive foils to achieve the surface effects that make your models look so realistic. I have had a look around on the internet and found many different kinds of products, such as adhesive backed PVC films. I couldn't decide which ones were like the foils you are using, so I wonder if you could tell us about the ones you use and which ones you've tried that were best (and which ones weren't, too!)? 

Thanks for sharing these wonderful models with us, they really are an inspiration.

Best wishes

Tony

• 1 month later...

Hello Doris,
to conclude your wonderful model I would like to express again that I admire your way of model building very much. 
The Royal Katherine is a model ship of the highest level.
Congratulations on the magnificent model and I hope that you will not let us wait too long with a new project. Or does it already exist and I missed it?

Edited by archjofo

• 10 months later...
12 hours ago, Amalio said:

We miss you so much.

Amalio.

Indeed, we all do, Amalio as her last post was last year.   I understand she had some health problems and her husband's death was hard on her. Hopefully, she's doing well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings to all Doris fans. The good news is that Doris is slowly returning to Czech forums. 💐I believe that you will soon welcome her here as well..♥️

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=110763&start=1605

Ondras.

Done : President - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=90230
Under construction : Roter Lowe - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=114576

Member of the organizing clubhttps://wchs-c-2023.klom-admiral.cz/en