HMS ROYAL KATHERINE 1664 by Doris - 1/55 - CARD

7 hours ago, DORIS said:

Oh, I have almost forgotten - here is one of my helpers - sometimes is very tired and sleepy.I can't understand why?😄

I do not either because the bottle is still full.

Doris

Have you ever encountered any problems with your LED lighting systems other than replacing batteries?  Once everything is made inaccessible with the decks installed, it would really be irritating to have done all that work and be unable to remedy the problems!

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Beautiful work Doris, as expected.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thank you for your comments a support, dear friends. 

21 hours ago, druxey said:

Fabulous! It's almost time to move in....

8 hours ago, Piet said:

Beautiful work Doris, as expected.

Cheers,

Hello Druxey and Piet, I am pleased, you like my work. It is not finished yet, I am going to add there several other things.

19 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Doris

Have you ever encountered any problems with your LED lighting systems other than replacing batteries?  Once everything is made inaccessible with the decks installed, it would really be irritating to have done all that work and be unable to remedy the problems!

Hello Dave,

Well, I have never had problems with LED in models, but I always test lighting for a longer time than definitely close the decks. I want to be sure that it will work reliably.

I also use LED lighting in real cars and there were sometimes problems (current shocks, overvoltage) , so I use more efficient resistors to prevent it.

My dog-helper is already O.K., unfortunately I cannot continue with this fine work and tiny details now because of my accident. Hope I'll be all right soon.

Best regards

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

Hello Druxey,

do not worry, it's not serious, I just have a wounded hands and some bruises after a fall. It is a terrible winter weather in our country now and I had bad luck. Now I can take some time for studying information about real ships and thinking how to apply them and make the most realistic model as possible.

I enjoy education and possibility to know more about real ships.

Kind regards

Doris

Current build:

Yes, I have been following the weather in your part of the world, not good. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I hope the healing goes well, Doris.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello dear friends, 
thank you very much for your care and wishes, it is already better. I even managed to modify gunports on the stern yesterday to be at the right position and I made them closed. My hands still pain, but soon I may be able to do fine work as well.

1.thumb.jpg.1876dae84768bac821d27f25b1062ae4.jpg2.thumb.jpg.61146494c6ba7af1d43dc61425de3c06.jpg3.thumb.jpg.c44918c34b38a9cb73fceb4bfeb7cd9f.jpg4.thumb.jpg.b2dbec917364d1e0dbe13806d7d97ace.jpg7.thumb.jpg.3fb202703c8e5297c0bc06234c380ba6.jpg8.thumb.jpg.246d71e63eb36356cfdf9b8802fe1d42.jpg20.thumb.jpg.0c663012fb19b622113e6da9d7ba7c53.jpg22.thumb.jpg.c2494cd62226d383f421b5de43626e97.jpg24.thumb.jpg.39604d30f6ed27b714d5cb3f0b74975b.jpg25.thumb.jpg.1f335795472a37b7b36f461a86c56f18.jpg26.thumb.jpg.a1d588452e642304c66d792096ec9878.jpg28.thumb.jpg.f6338c749a99a5065964a08f3b1e6dc0.jpg

Best regards

Doris

Current build:

WOW, i have just made myself late for work, catching up, Happy new year to you and your family

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Wonderful mod...Doris.  Nice solution to correct a slight distance error.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

beautiful work Doris..........you had me worried there for a bit!   sorry to hear of your fall,  but I'm very glad that your feeling better.   it would be tragic,  if your artistry could not continue........I know that I wouldn't be alone.  I wish you well and a full recovery. :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Doris, we have future wedding plans! You HAVE to take care of yourself, please be careful!

(You'll get tired of that old boring husband at some point, I know it)

Seriously, protect those hands, they do things very few people in the world can do.

Hello dear friends,
I am very pleased you like my work and thank you for your support and "likes".

That is really honour for me.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:58 AM, Kevin said:

WOW, i have just made myself late for work, catching up, Happy new year to you and your family

Thank you Kevin, and I wish also the best to you and your family.

On 1/10/2019 at 4:18 PM, rwiederrich said:

Wonderful mod...Doris.  Nice solution to correct a slight distance error.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I am glad you like my modification. It is not easy to build the model without exact plans and drawings. And moreover I do not have a good estimate for the right position or proportions so I have to correct some errors time from time...

22 hours ago, druxey said:

A great 'save!  Look after those skilled hands now.

19 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

beautiful work Doris..........you had me worried there for a bit!   sorry to hear of your fall,  but I'm very glad that your feeling better.   it would be tragic,  if your artistry could not continue........I know that I wouldn't be alone.  I wish you well and a full recovery. :) 

Thank you, dear friends. I promise, I'll be more careful next time. I feel better now and soon I will go on again with sculpting.

9 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

Doris, we have future wedding plans! You HAVE to take care of yourself, please be careful!

(You'll get tired of that old boring husband at some point, I know it)

Seriously, protect those hands, they do things very few people in the world can do.

And are you sure, you are courageous enough? 😉 Cause I am really very vivacious and as I have already written - a pretty devil with adventurous nature:

10.thumb.jpg.20e95e2bb4818b27dc9d056bc07f69ab.jpg

Only my husband is able to tame me.😄

And I'm going to be more careful on my hands next time, I promise.

I am going to create a pedestal - there will be dolphins or fish sculptures under the huge hull and I would like to make them according to period models. Here are some  commercial products; few years ago I made these sculptures of "Pegasus" on the pedestal for Sovereign of the Seas: 

Podstavce.thumb.jpg.e2788584b0b646d36ddaa9cd127281eb.jpg

Now I am inspired, for example, by the period model of the Saint Michael:

SM4.thumb.jpg.f770a76f829f7282f30459d1bcd8fce1.jpgsm4a.thumb.jpg.b68b6c92a744a0f338bbeff39a4a3878.jpg

Today it was sunny day and I managed to take some nice pictures of the bow decoration, so youcan also enjoy them. The sculptures will be modificated by weathering to achieve more natural look.

3.thumb.jpg.d165055560283ccb0a8a16c2d749af67.jpg4.thumb.jpg.35b4c442a9a0bbeccabf403268946120.jpg

Best regards

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

In the captains cabins is paper or veneer, wood?

Regards.

End: Bryg corsair occre, Black Pearl Hachette, Scottish maid artesania, BKA 1125

In build: Vasa deagostini, Dwunastu Apostołów deagostini, Hms FLY amati Novik modelik, spitfire airfix,

Wait for build: hms alert shipyard, orp kujawiak wak, hms Beagle occre, thermopyle revell, few JSC models,

And here is the beginning of making pedestals - I have prepared accurate card templates and now I will shape them from modelling clay. The reinforcement will be also necessary, cause the model is quite heavy.

0.thumb.jpg.e11fba8e21cb9e4ef77dc3171c08834e.jpg1.thumb.jpg.5f845fa9f35e76854cf7ff52cfe7edb5.jpg2.thumb.jpg.c8fa026eea97dab4a5e71d451c4e4275.jpg3.thumb.jpg.cea76e72b31b3e60f32b99e7ad890121.jpg7.thumb.jpg.9a36bc8bb3698548dc7e8c5d166b3edb.jpg

Look forward to my tutorial that I'm going to share with you.

Kind regards

Doris

Current build:

Hi Doris,

I have long admired those dolphin supports in contemporary models, and have vaguely thought about making something like that for my own project. I look forward to seeing how you make these!

Mark

Yes, I too look forward to your tutorial.  That's a great idea and now I am planning to create mounting rests for my VOC ship "Surabaya" with crocodiles and sharks.  Why? Because the name Surabaya is a combination of the Sura = crocodile and buaya + shark in the Indonesian language.  Thanks for the idea.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

On 1/11/2019 at 9:49 PM, DORIS said:

To Wiktor.L: I used paper/card covered with special vinyl foils (my own technique) that allows to achieve wooden look. Only few parts are wooden.

Here you can see it:

Yea, i see the topic name, and i dont beleivie it! 😮

Regards.

End: Bryg corsair occre, Black Pearl Hachette, Scottish maid artesania, BKA 1125

In build: Vasa deagostini, Dwunastu Apostołów deagostini, Hms FLY amati Novik modelik, spitfire airfix,

Wait for build: hms alert shipyard, orp kujawiak wak, hms Beagle occre, thermopyle revell, few JSC models,

Thank you Mark, Druxey and Piet for your feedback and support, I appreciate your words a lot.

I have just started making rear support, it is much more difficult than I have expected, but step by step I will manage it. Here are first pics from process, you can also see there all my tools I use for modelling sculptures from clay ( except the main ones - my hands of course....). The dolphin supports will be stylized according to period models from museums.

1.thumb.jpg.f41a774958054e886cf3aedcb73faf1c.jpg2.thumb.jpg.bf76020ce146c544c18c1ad2f1125684.jpg3.thumb.jpg.35a77baad58340624eca526358289c2b.jpg

BTW, I love dolphins and I have had an opportunity to cuddle and swim with them several times. I will never forget such amazing enjoyment.

11224002_917895554964003_8253394138979700361_n.jpg.4f2dacc79d8f4e89f3d854c9debc3547.jpg12278813_917894931630732_7319254640080567897_n.jpg.eb13b2f063e0c53afd82136c0a747c84.jpg

Best regards

Doris

Current build: