HMS ROYAL KATHERINE 1664 by Doris - 1/55 - CARD

looks awesome Doris.......the nibbing along the waterways is very well done :)   did you cut the planking strips,  or are they drawn on?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you for your comment, I´m glad you like the planking. All the strips are separately cut out of self-adhesive foil and glued onto black surface. In the end it is necessary to heat the surface enough to make the glue fully activated.

Best regards,

Doris

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

To Druxey: Oh yes, I use individually laid strips on all places with planking for many years. I like this clean work with self-adhesive foils that imitate wooden grain. 

Today I finished the last deck and now I am working on quarter galerries. It is really difficult task, but I believe in a nice result. In the pics bellow I tried to imitate the possible view of quarter gallery I would like to achieve.

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Doris

Current build:

Thank you very much, dear friends, I am really honored reading your words. I do appreciate it a lot.
Today I have started making quarter galleries. I have to admit it was quite difficult and it was necessary to adapt some details on the hull and aft to achieve acceptable result. I create the construction mainly according to historical models of Saint Michael and HMS Prince.

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/65963.html

http://www.modelships.de/HMS_Prince_I/dockyard_model_HMS_Prince.htm

I am very grateful for a professional help to a top expert from our country -  Captain K.L. who helps me with the realistic creating of models.

Here are some current pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Doris

Current build:

Very nice work Doris, it is a joy looking at it all. Those quarter galleries are a work of art and I'm sure you can pull it off.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hello dear friends, 
thank you very much for your comments and "likes". I am glad, you like my work.

On 2. 3. 2018 at 10:18 PM, SJSoane said:

Oh, my, those quarter galleries look difficult and complex! You are doing a great job.

Mark

That's true, I consider the Royal Katherine to be one of the most demanding models I've ever built.... But also is one of the most beautiful.

I have made some important changes and improvements of the quarter galleries based on the Captain´s K.L. recommendations and now I am working on the surface finish.

Here is the main log where I present my work, you can find there plenty of interesting information and pics as well.

http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=110763&start=255#p2091317

I'm still considering to adapt the position and height of the windows. In H.Vale´s painting there are some differences between side and aft view and the windows in Quarter Gallery seems to be higher. Well, I may adapt them to achieve nicer and maybe also more realistic performance of the model.

11.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

12.jpg

Doris

Current build:

awesome work Doris,

thanks for the link to your "main forum"......., it looks like we are witnessing this project (HMS Royal Katherine) to become your ultimate master piece... :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you for your comments and feedback, dear friends. 

18 hours ago, Hubac'sHistorian said:

Hi Doris - Marvelous progress!  What is the material you are using for the thin moulded strakes that frame the quarter gallery panels; wood, plastic or card?

Well, there are wooden logs of 1 mm diameter glued together on horizontal line and thin strips cut out of self-adhesive foil on vertical line. These strips are only a background for gilded caryatides, soon I will create them from modelling clay.

17 hours ago, Mirabell61 said:

awesome work Doris,

thanks for the link to your "main forum"......., it looks like we are witnessing this project (HMS Royal Katherine) to become your ultimate master piece... :)

Nils

Dear Nils, You are right. I would like to achieve both - the best result in terms of craftsmanship and also the most realistic version of the Royal Katherine. I create and build this model as best I can do to make the result worth it. I admire the art of ship building of our ancestors, it is a great motivation and challenge for me.

I have adjusted the height of the windows to achieve better result. I have imitated this according to other ship models and painting from this period and also according to the Vale´s painting:

http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=110763&p=2092095#p2091987

2.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

Ahhh, I see.  Another question:  how do you get the (card?) panels of the quarter galleries - within these framing members - to follow, so neatly, the compound curves that the underlying framework dictates?  Because they are painted black, it is hard to read these surfaces for their shape, but they appear to follow these forms perfectly.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

EdTThank you for your praise, that is a great honour for me. I do appreciate your words a lot. 

Hubac'sHistorianWell, its a bit difficult to describe. I use black solid card covered by black foil with fine wooden engraving and from this card I cut out very accurate shapes according the curves of the frame. Some of this shapes are necessary to curve using steam and smooth metal tools. This allows me bending paper into multiple levels.  After perfect shapind they are glued on the underlaying framework. I use only a little glue and never touch it by fingers. 
It is better to show in pics, so I take some photos during process if you wish.;-)

Best regards

Doris

Current build:

I would love to see a photo essay of that process, Doris, but your description gives me a pretty solid idea of it.

it seems that steam is the key to getting the card to conform to compound curves.  The difficulty must be, first cutting a bit oversized, but close to openning size.  Then, once you have the shape you want, trimming edges to land, on-center, on the framing members; more art and intuition than science, I would imagine.

By all means, though, post pics if you have the time.  Your method, here, is of particular interest, as I consider how I will construct the convoluted surfaces of Soleil Royal’s QGs.   I very much appreciate the explanations.

Really amazing work.  Your simulated wood looks better than my real wood :) 

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Dear friends, I am pleased, you like my work on Royal Katherine. Thank you very much for your favour and feedback.
I have almost finished the second quarter gallery and took some pics from process. It would be better to shoot a video for a clarity, how I shape the card usind steam and suitable tools. Steam helps shaping cause the card is more flexible.
At the beginning, I prepare templates from soft paper.Then I redraw them onto a high quality black card coated with a foil with wooden imitation. After shaping I place them onto the right place using tweezers and during drying improve details.

I am going to make further changes onto the upper parts of the hull that will help to achieve much more realistic look.

Have a great time.

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Doris

Current build:

You’re a star, Doris!  Thank you for taking the time to illustrate your process, here.  You have really de-mystified something that seems complicated; that is, in fact, quite difficult to achieve; and explained it in a way that makes it possible for someone else to achieve it.  Thank you, again, Doris!

Also, I like your alteration to the window heights.  This makes more sense, and the change is a good example of where the modeler, sometimes, has to parse through the intent of the artist - even a really good marine artist like Vale.

Hubac'sHistorian: No problem, you are welcome. I am glad I can help.

I have made another important change on the model to move it closer to greater historical accuracy.

The hull on Vale´s painting and also on other English ships from this period is not so tall, so i decided to reduce its height to the appropriate level. I'm gonna continue on port today an prepare other improvements.

Plenty of interesting and useful information is available in my main building log on the Czech forum, where you can also find expert advice and valuable information about real ships from the top expert Kpt.KL., who is my excellent advisor during creation of the Royal Katherine.

http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=110763&start=270

Here are some current pics of the model with finished quarter gallery on  starboard and reduced upper part of the hull close to aft:

HMS Royal Katherine.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

I think that when you get to constructing the upper finishing of the quarter gallery - with its domed top and coved central recess for the statuary - that the complex shapes would make an excellent topic for an instructional video.  That is, if you intend to build them up in the same way as the rest of the QG.  Perhaps not, if you are going to carve the upper finishing from a solid block, instead.

I also admire your courage in cutting down the sheer, although I agree that it is right to do so.

All the best,

Marc

Edited by Hubac'sHistorian