HMS ROYAL KATHERINE 1664 by Doris - 1/55 - CARD

Hello dear friends,
thank you very much for your support and likes.

13 hours ago, druxey said:

Glad you have the courage to revise this, Doris. Dobri!

It is sometimes quite adventurous, but as we say: There is no victory without a battle.

10 hours ago, Hubac'sHistorian said:

I think that when you get to constructing the upper finishing of the quarter gallery - with its domed top and coved central recess for the statuary - that the complex shapes would make an excellent topic for an instructional video.  That is, if you intend to build them up in the same way as the rest of the QG.  Perhaps not, if you are going to carve the upper finishing from a solid block, instead.

I also admire your courage in cutting down the sheer, although I agree that it is right to do so.

Oh yes, I am gonna construct the upper part of the QG in the same way, but the shape is much more complicated. I can ask my husband to help me with an instructional video. I believe it can be very interesting and useful. I would like to do it as soon as possible, but I fell ill a few days ago and my condition is getting worse with every day. So please be patient.

Many parts of the model will be modificated to achieve better a more realistic appearance. I do not have exact plans of Royal Katherine, so I must "play it by ear".

Here are some newest pics - the hull after complete cutting down and some colour modifications in the central area of the model created according the museum models from this period - for example Saint Michael 1669.

Best regards

SM6.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

i'm sorry to hear of the health issues, Doris.  I hope you get well soon and make a full recovery.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 hours ago, Sailor1234567890 said:

The carriages under the museum model guns are terrible. Why are they so basic in construction when the rest of the model is so nice?

I was going to comment on the exact same thing. It looks like one of them at least is way too high and has no room for elevation, and all of them look like left-overs from some cheap kit :(.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Get well Doris. Your tackling the mods is admirable and a lesson to all of us - try to stick with authenticity. Sometimes we can fudge but with those major design flaws it's better to redu things.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hello dear friends, 
thank you all for your kindly words and comments. I feel very weak so far but hope I will get well soon. I am continuing to work only very limited now. I modified other parts on the model, that were not entirely based on appearance of the real ship in Vale´s painting. I reduced other upper parts of the hull and added the black strip between wales. More information is also here:

http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&p=2093870#p2093609

My main priority is the maximal historical plausibility as I have already said, so if I detect an inconsistency, or if someone alerts me, I'm trying to fix it. Of course, I cannot fix everything, but if it is at least possible, then I do it.

For example now I have to find out whether the decoration between the gunports was sculpturesque/plastic and gilded or was only painted? 

Some examples of similar ships from that period with painted decoration:

HMS Royal Prince 1670 - Beecq

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66333.html

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/65967.html

Here I am not quite sure but I think it's more like a painting:

HMS Royal Katherine2

According to the original pictures from that period and museum models, it seems to me rather painted. I have to admit, that the gilded plastic/sculptural decoration along the whole length of the hull would appeal to me more.^_^

But I am gonna decide on what is historically more accurate.

Please, if you have more accurate information, it would help me a lot if you share them here. I will be very grateful.

BTW: The model is very heavy, even if it is made of card.B)

Best regards and enjoy the pics.

RK hmotnost.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

RK po dalších úpravách5.jpg

RK po dalších úpravách6.jpg

RK-boky-Vale-vs-model-10.03.2018_.jpg

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

On 3/12/2018 at 4:51 AM, DORIS said:

BTW: The model is very heavy, even if it is made of card.B)

That's not too surprising when you stop and think about it.  Basically they're taking out all of the voids in the wood cells, adding a binder and putting it under tremendous pressure when it's rolled out, making it much denser.  While one sheet of paper seems to weigh nothing by itself,  just try lifting a ream of 500 sheets!;)  

Your ship is very well detailed for being a card model.  The wood graining varies enough to make it look like individual wood planks.  That's one reason that I like to build solid or built up hulls with individual planks applied to them. 

Hopefully your two feathered assistants don't get too interested in your ship and try to add their own touches to it.  Our Parrotlet would like nothing more than to gnaw that paper up a bit.:D  Hope you're feeling better soon.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Did I hear someone mention paper?:dancetl6:

101_0021.thumb.JPG.47a05fe4177758bc842d17e60024767e.JPG

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

hope you have a speedy recovery Doris....your making great progress in spite of it all  ;)    your modifications look great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Hello dear friends,
thank you very much for your kind words and comments. I do appreciate them a lot.
I'm finally healthy so I can do my full job at Royal Katherine and enjoy it.

To BETAQDAVE: What a lovely parrot you have. My feathered assistants are not very interested in the ship, though one of them loves destroying wooden clothes pegs and cockatiel usually has a rest under the huge ship hull till finally falls asleep.

To montañes: Thank you for your praise, Amalio. In actual fact nothing is so difficult as it seems to be. I usually search the the easiest way, how to make various things..... For example here is a video ( I promised some time ago to record a short video, where I am shaping card using steam to achieve better results and perfect final performance):

To popeye the sailor: I suppose there will be a lot of other modifications during the work. I love sailing ships and after finishing Sovereign of the Seas I have finally found another gorgeous ship - Royal Katherine, which I consider to be equally beautiful. I would like to achieve best result and maximally realistic model appearance, as possible and depends also on my abilities of course.  Last week I have started with sculpting and decoration, that is my favourite part of work. 

Doris

Current build:

I finished roofs on Quarter Galleries and added a bay window (oriel window) on the stern. I use high quality card finished with black foils. The columns and upper parts of the hull (under railing)are wooden.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Doris

Current build:

I have also placed and glued plexiglass (I use a clear CDs) into the windows and created a diagonal grid with the scalpel as you can also see in plenty of historical paintings by artists - mariners and museum models from that period.

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/65964.html

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/RP-T-1885-A-555

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/RP-T-00-408

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

And here starts the most favourite part of my work....
Sculpting of course..... :D

Apart from the Vale's painting, I get inspiration from period models, paintings + drawings and archaeological finds. I would like to create not only beautiful and detailed sculptures but also more realistic.

Some inspiration I find also here:

http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=110763&start=210#p2086152

or

http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=110763&start=225#p2087773

So how the sculpting started......

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Doris

Current build:

Hi Doris,

wow, windows, sculpturing and forming of the QG is marvelous, you`re doing an amazing job there !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

That roof section is a marvel of card engineering! And the sculpted pieces are first class as well. Glad also that you are now better, Doris.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Joining the fellows in the applause. Great detailing as always, Doris. A masterful skill to astound us all.

Hello Doris,

First if all, thank you very much for taking the time to make that video.  This was incredibly instructive and interesting in that you only need the small steam from a cup of tea to do this shaping of the card.  I was envisioning a boiling kettle, or something like that.  And the results are so perfect!

I am reading, now, Richard Endsor’s excellent book “The Warship Anne”.

8A4C34D2-9060-453A-8001-7647932E12B4.thumb.jpeg.05a48f733265c3aabf63bdd9cbfda8e7.jpeg

In the book, Mr. Endsor makes mention of canvas purchased for the covering of the quarter galleries, during the construction of the ship.  This detail of the text made me wonder whether it was this flexible medium (canvas), that could more easily be stretched over the light framework of the QGs, thus creating these complicated, faceted shapes - maybe, at least, for the top upper finishing.  The canvas could then be sealed with paint, or some form of “black stuff” for water proofing.  I had always assumed that the “skin” of the QGs was made entirely of wood.  Anyway, not sure what to make of that, but an interesting possibility.  Perhaps you understand this more completely.

The other detail that is of particular interest to me, Doris, is your round-up of the stern - from the counter timber, up through the tafferal.  Let me preface the following observation by saying that this is not a criticism, but merely my desire to more fully understand what I am seeing as it relates to known period practice.

My observation is that the arc of round-up, in the hotizontal plane, is most pronounced at the stern counter, just above the stern post.  As your eye travels up, toward the tafferal, this arc APPEARS to flatten out a bit, yet it is still there.  I can see the upper arc of the stern, as it is reflected in the aft deckline of the poop.

What I can’t figure out is whether this arc actually diminishes, as the stern rises, or whether this is just an optical illusion created by the rising tumblehome of the ship sides cutting the arc on a continuous taper towards the centerline of the ship; in other words, as the ship’s sides rise, the segment of arc at any given point gets smaller and smaller, thus, perhaps, appearing flatter when, in reality, they are all arcs of the same curve.  How’s that for a run-on-and-on sentence?!

With all of the ornaments in place, I think that this apparent difference is not noticeable at all, really, but the bare architecture makes it more visible.  What you are doing, Doris, looks right to me, but I’m just trying to understand why so that I can re-create it on my model.

Edited by Hubac'sHistorian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Your comment on canvas is interesting, HH. It was often painted, sometimes to resemble green patinated copper. Usually the canvas was laid down over wood boards. A real life example is seen on the roof of Prince Frederick's barge in the Royal Museums Greenwich.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv