HMS ROYAL KATHERINE 1664 by Doris - 1/55 - CARD

Was looking back at your Royal Caroline build log and can see that your current build is just more of the same exquisite workmanship!  You really pay attention to the smallest details, as can be seen by the flag at the stern of the Royal Caroline where you even detailed the truck of the flag pole.  Now, that is one detail that I have very seldom seen addressed in such a small scale!

I showed the video at the end of that build to my wife (who seems to think I'm kind of nuts :rolleyes: to put in all the small details that I try to incorporate into my ships) and she was astonished to see the level of detail that you included.  She was particularly impressed by all of the interior details down to the paintings on the walls and the watermelon slices on the table!

I still have a hard time believing that these are built with card stock!  Anyone should be able to see now that this build of the Katherine is just a continuation of your skills that frankly tell me that your ships deserve to be in a museum! :dancetl6: 

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Dear friends,
your words mean a lot for me and I am very grateful for your support. Thank you for all very much. That is a great honour and motivation for me.

9 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Was looking back at your Royal Caroline build log and can see that your current build is just more of the same exquisite workmanship!  You really pay attention to the smallest details, as can be seen by the flag at the stern of the Royal Caroline where you even detailed the truck of the flag pole.  Now, that is one detail that I have very seldom seen addressed in such a small scale!

I showed the video at the end of that build to my wife (who seems to think I'm kind of nuts :rolleyes: to put in all the small details that I try to incorporate into my ships) and she was astonished to see the level of detail that you included.  She was particularly impressed by all of the interior details down to the paintings on the walls and the watermelon slices on the table!

I still have a hard time believing that these are built with card stock!  Anyone should be able to see now that this build of the Katherine is just a continuation of your skills that frankly tell me that your ships deserve to be in a museum! :dancetl6: 

That is very nice, I appreciate your comment a lot and please give my regards to your wife. :piratebo5:
I like the work with card cause I do not need any special tools. When I was a child, our family was poor and we had no money for many things. So I learned to work with minimal basis and only ordinary materials and basic tools. And this way of creating models has remained to me today, only experience and skills are much better .....  Still try to improve my work and achieve realistic rendering of models as is possible in my abilities.

It is possible that my ship models will be offered to the museum in future, because we do not have enough space at home for new ones. Maybe these models will bring pleasure to many other people who visit museums. 

Yesterday I finished another sculpture on the stern, so now the ladies are in a complete set. Enjoy the pics:

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

fantastic sculpturing Doris,

they are top notch. The gold color is looking so good, (on those excellent handcrafted figures), may I ask what brand paint or bronze are you using ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hello Nils, 
Thank you for your praise. I use acrylic colour (golden leaf) in spray suitable for exteriors/interiors, something like this:
https://www.carid.com/dupli-color/automotive-metallic-paint-mpn-cs101.html

Best regards,

Doris

Doris

Current build:

Thanks Doris,

the golden shine looks like the pure golden objects H. Carter saw after removing the dust, when he first explored Tutenchamun`s grave thomb in Egypt....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Hello dear friends, 
I have finished plenty of new pieces of decoration and tried to create side sculptures, but there was a problem to adapt the shape and apperance to achieve optimal result. So I will have to create new ones. I must say this is realy hard and maybe I will stop the work on Royal Katherine for some time and will study information and suitable sources. Somehow I miss my drive .....:(

Please enjoy the pics. I also attach a photos where I am along with the model. You can see its real size.B)

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

Hi Doris,

Will you be making up the gun barrels from scratch with rolled card, as you have in the past, or will you use turned brass guns like the sample one on your quarter deck?

P.S. I hope you get your mojo back soon.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Wunderbar Doris !

love your sculpturing art-work, I admire your talent and skill...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

very nice improvement on the statue..... the garments......even the shape of the hands lend a more life like appearance.   while I do agree that your first rendition of the statue could have been better,  I think your first one was fine.  if you look back at most of the carving that have ever been done on ships {figureheads etc},  they were not carved to resemble like like figures.   done freehand,  some had a sort of cartoonish approach........some were carved to be intimidating.   very seldom,  it was a stroke of luck that any held some degree of positive facial recognition.  you've certainly shown that you can improve.....your artistry is amazing and so very intricate  ;) 

the rest of the stern decorations are exquisite!    first thing I though of when you wrote you lost your drive.....is it couldn't have gone far ;)   I really can't tell from the additions you've added to the stern,  that you need to brush up on your research,  but I can relate to the way you feel.

it happens to us all from time to time....if you do pause.....I hope it's not long  ;) 

Edited by popeye the sailor
added text

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello dear friends, thank you all for your kind words and support. I do appreciate your comments a lot.

Well, after a very short break I continue again, but it was really struggle to create the statues/quarter pieces correctly. I had some problems with their realistic appearance and accurate position, but friends have adviced me, how to do it better. Special thanks belongs to my great advisor and top expert from Czech Modelforum - Kpt.KL, who provides me professional advice and plenty of patience as well.B)

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=110763&start=435#p2110580

Here is the current version of decoration:

3.thumb.jpg.206f5b7641550949d9bdaaaa159fecce.jpg4.thumb.jpg.0f62cf09abc1ce2455cc96936cd2a97f.jpg11.thumb.jpg.776081bb09a54cf6e4d756ade22470e3.jpg6.thumb.jpg.f13ffb8e0ec114adb948a2f72846b16f.jpg12.thumb.jpg.8f3fc55b22a80ab116190a2426f30f9b.jpg5.thumb.jpg.0329264338c5cb0ffad4901d0c164527.jpg7.thumb.jpg.d1d2e70d0f4331d8fab51faa40e97291.jpg10.thumb.jpg.33c51494d17da087b3e2dd2ca18f0a9a.jpg9.thumb.jpg.667711511119b967f20d8703466e34f3.jpg8.thumb.jpg.921f5cfa76da3bad2ce6055c841661f2.jpg

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

On 7. 5. 2018 at 11:51 PM, Hubac'sHistorian said:

Hi Doris,

Will you be making up the gun barrels from scratch with rolled card, as you have in the past, or will you use turned brass guns like the sample one on your quarter deck?

P.S. I hope you get your mojo back soon.

Hello, 

well, I would prefer brass guns, but I am not sure, if they are suitable for the English ship form 17th century... So maybe I will have to make my own scratch from card. 

19 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

very nice improvement on the statue..... the garments......even the shape of the hands lend a more life like appearance.   while I do agree that your first rendition of the statue could have been better,  I think your first one was fine.  if you look back at most of the carving that have ever been done on ships {figureheads etc},  they were not carved to resemble like like figures.   done freehand,  some had a sort of cartoonish approach........some were carved to be intimidating.   very seldom,  it was a stroke of luck that any held some degree of positive facial recognition.  you've certainly shown that you can improve.....your artistry is amazing and so very intricate  ;) 

the rest of the stern decorations are exquisite!    first thing I though of when you wrote you lost your drive.....is it couldn't have gone far ;)   I really can't tell from the additions you've added to the stern,  that you need to brush up on your research,  but I can relate to the way you feel.

it happens to us all from time to time....if you do pause.....I hope it's not long  ;) 

Thank you for your kind words, I am still trying to improve my skills and technologies to achieve better results. Sometimes it is hard and I feel sad, cause I do not manage to make things correctly at first time (even the second time...) and make senseless mistakes...:default_wallbash:

Best regards,

Doris

Doris

Current build:

1 hour ago, DORIS said:

...I am still trying to improve my skills and technologies to achieve better results. Sometimes it is hard and I feel sad, cause I do not manage to make things correctly at first time (even the second time...) and make senseless mistakes...:default_wallbash:

Best regards,

Doris

Beautiful work Doris. I cannot imagine your model better than it is, even though you may know ever little microscopic error.

If you got it right the first time, every time, you would quickly lose interest because you would not see any challenges for you. It is the mistakes which brings our challenges to full awareness. It is our drive to conquer them, and when we do, we feel satisfied for our own hard earned improvements. With this in mind, there are no senseless mistakes, but a gift in the disguise of a challenge. Best to embrace a mistake for the new lessons you are about to undertake. In this way, we can actually be grateful for our mistakes. ;)

Peter.

Current Builds:  Wardell Bridge, Bridge on River Kwai, ADLIB-1, and the U-2540

Hello Doris,

your ability to create sculptures and figures is admirable.
Forming the fine details of the hands, faces and clothes is a talent, an amazing gift.
To build a model with all the sculptures in this quality is reserved for very few.

You are one of the few.

Doris,

Always stunning !!

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

We all make mistakes and have to make pieces over again. The challenge of "How do I do this?" is what keeps things interesting. You are doing a terrific job, whether you think it or not!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hello dear friends,
thank you all for your feedback, praise and "likes", I am pleased reading your words and feeling your great support. I do apprecite it a lot.
I agree with you, the challenge of doing things again and better keeps our work more interesting. I want to improve my abilities and build more realistic ship models and I am sure, that without obstacles it is not possible.

Yesterday I almost finished decoration on the stern - taffrail.

This part of stern ornamentation was the most difficult. On Vale´s  painting I was not able to recognize details on that area, those ornaments are uneven and asymmetric, so I decided to create my own unique desing and using typical patterns and ornamentation from that period - for example cherubies, stylized statues of fish and seahorses....

The decoration was unique on each ship, so my design does not copy any of them.

Please enjoy the pics:

1.thumb.jpg.07030905ca062b342bfa2f5ca1035b0b.jpg2.thumb.jpg.710e3906ff6a50693483a10bb1b0429d.jpg3.thumb.jpg.259488ca61b8416cceac7b2ba20dd430.jpg4.thumb.jpg.376f175766ac4122009300b0627765a1.jpg5.thumb.jpg.434af57aac8ad3e07d6ee4f1caedbfe9.jpg6.thumb.jpg.291b866064b8c564a2de96b77ddf9de5.jpg7.thumb.jpg.e649096241fbfe235eeaf7578ec1f7e0.jpg8.thumb.jpg.70dd4b8fbbe2655e51b9a394441e1f62.jpg9.thumb.jpg.ef23e72606ad6db9be0dacea568b5c3b.jpg

Doris

Current build:

Doris,

congratulations, your artwork is fantastic...., I showed it to my wife today, she is also amazed of such skills in sculpturing...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Doris,

I agree with you that the Vale painting is of little help in discerning the details of the tafferal.  As ever though, you have done a masterful job of filling in the blanks.  Magnificent!!

Edited by Hubac'sHistorian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.