Soldering paste?

There are several low temp silver solder pastes available.  I purchased some from Amazon and have been pretty happy with it.  You have to be careful if you are soldering several pieces together because the earlier joints will soften and/or melt if the piece gets to hot.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

When doing multiple pieces, you would need solders with different melt points, starting with the highest melt point solder first.  The next piece to be soldered on the assembly would use a lower melt point paste, and so forth.  I have not tried more than three solder temperatures and like everything else, it still takes some practice to get a feel for this, but it does work well.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

You can also get paste solder specific to copper I think - may also help.  Try a jewellers supply store; AJS in Australia used to stock it.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 1 year later...

Why does soldering strike fear into men?

It's dead simple, I have soldered everything from a single wire on a small switch to a 120mmsq cable in a motor connection.

For what we are doing I only ever use resin cored solder, 60/40 or slightly stronger higher melt point 40/60.

The process is so simple:-

1: CLEAN the job, I find a light sand with dry wet&dry 600 grit does a nice job, if it's been oily wash it with alcohol first

2: NEVER touch a flame to the job while touching the solder to it. The flame burns the resin and the job is then dirty, no hope at all of getting it to work

3: Once you have some solder on the job heat from the opposite side of the join as this keeps the flame off the solder and resin residue AND solder flows to heat.

I made the brass bullbar for the model pictured using this method and 60/40 resin cored solder, the model weighs 3.5Kg and can be picked up by the bullbar 

Defender 90 project 163.jpg

Defender 90 project 182.jpg