When to seal your hull and decks

As the subject says - at what point to folks generally start to seal [paint stain varnish or whatever is to used etc] their models?

To be clearer, at which point in the construction/build?

Input appreciated

Regards

Jeremy

Currently in the shipyard:      Meta nr 484 - Billing
                                                La Toulannaise (Billing) - on hold

Waiting patiently in the shed: HMS Victory - Da Agostini (collection complete and anxiously waiting :D )

IL Leudo - Amati

Lilla Dan nr 578 - Billing

Hello Les here. When building ship models or other models, I build some major components separately as  a finished piece so I can add this component to the kit. You could go ahead and finish things such as masts, spars and other ship board items separately. Pre finish the hull and decking etc so you don't have to go back and try to finish around added fixtures. Touch up later to cover boo boos. So finish the hull then add finished components later if possible. Hope this helps.

I seal my hull/decking once I've finished that section, I find it easier to clean grubby marks due to handling after sealing than trying to work round deck fittings later. Only catch is that when fixing furnishings etc. you do have to scrape back any sealant for the glue to take but that's only a minor problem.

Thanks guys

It was what my brain was telling me - just trying to avoid unnecessary pitfalls :)

Regards

Jeremy

Currently in the shipyard:      Meta nr 484 - Billing
                                                La Toulannaise (Billing) - on hold

Waiting patiently in the shed: HMS Victory - Da Agostini (collection complete and anxiously waiting :D )

IL Leudo - Amati

Lilla Dan nr 578 - Billing