HMVS Cerberus 1870 by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Paper Shipwright - 1:250 - CARD

Hi all,

With my small distraction (the Concord Stagecoach) finished and out of the way, it's time to get back into SHIP modelling :D .

I've decided to go in a new direction, both in the Period of the Ship and in it's Construction. I've decided to try my hand at Card Modelling, something I haven't done since I was in my early teens when I built a number of Card models of buildings for my model railway. It was fun at the time, the models turned out OK, and it will hopefully be the same again :) .

For my first I've downloaded a freebie from Paper Shipwrights of the HMVS (Her Majesty's Victorian Ship) Cerberus. A pre-printed version is available for £8.50 plus p&h, but I had mine done at a local Photocopy shop for around the same price. They used the equivalent thicknesses of paper needed, and I got two copies of each page to cover the inevitable Oopsies.

I also have a Swann-Morton scalpel handle and 100 blades on it's way. The rest of the tools needed I already have :

A small steel rule, a cutting mat (although i might update that, I bought it 10 years ago and it's seen a bit of work :D ), good tweezers, Q-tips, a glue bottle of PVA, CA Glue for the PE, small side-cutters, pin-vices and micro-drills, a mechanical pencil, hairclip clamps, headband magnifier, a small awl and Tamiya masking tape :

IMG_3399.JPG

Beats the hell out of the thousands of dollars worth of tools and machines I've accumulated over the years for Wooden Ship Modelling. And .... there's NO sawdust :D .

If I make a success of this one, I might try my hand at something a little more difficult - either a Bismark or a Yamato :D . The Build Log starts in the next Post.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

HMVS Cerberus - History

To save a lot of typing when I'd rather be modelling, here is the page from the Kit :

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

I will be watching with interest Danny.  Your post prompted me to read up on HMVS Cerberus. A very interesting story. I did not realise it was still visible and recognisable after being scuttled in 1926. My stepson trained at HMAS Cerberus and now serves on Collins Class Subs in Perth. I now know the origin of the name of the base :) 

cheers

Steve

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Hi Dan,

I look forward to following another card model.  Interesting subject as well.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Thanks Hornet, John and Slog.

A reasonable afternoon's work, after puzzling for an hour or so about what goes where, and what to cut etc :D . The bulkheads are glued to the base, and all tabs are scored and folded. I'm going to glue some balsa between the bulkheads along the edges to make gluing the sides on easier. I can forsee that I'd have a few problems with getting a sharp fold on some of the deck tabs otherwise.

Base and Main Deck (1).JPG

Base and Main Deck (2).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Hey howya goin Danny mate, good luck with this one.   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Thanks Eddie.

I've shaped and glued in all the balsa filler blocks. I only glued them to one side of each bulkhead in case they pulled the base out of alignment :

Balsa.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Welcome Grant and Rick :) .

Folding and gluing the tabs took me 2 hours on the base. I let it dry overnight. The deck only took me an hour, maybe I'm getting better at it :D . They look rough in the closeup pic, but it's only shadows - they are all perfectly flat, which would have been impossible or at least VERY difficult without the balsa fillers.

When the deck dried there was a very slight amount of "hogging" - with one end flat on the table the other end was about 1.5mm high. Very easy to bend flat, I'm sure that when I fit the side panels it'll all be good :) :

Tab Folding (2).JPG

Tab Folding (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Interesting ironclad there, Danny. I'll pull up a chair, too.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

8 hours ago, Canute said:

Interesting ironclad there, Danny. I'll pull up a chair, too.

Be my guest Ken :D .

The sides of the hull fitted up pretty well, but there's a fair amount of thouching-up to do where the stark white edges of the paper join the black of the sides of the deck :

Sides Fitted.JPG

The damage to the paint here was caused by attempting to get a hollow out of the superstructure deck :

Touchup (1).JPG

I'm using an Archival Ink pen to fix the problem. I've done a bit around the top of the stern bulwark and it looks like it'll do the job :

Touchup (3).JPG

Touchup (2).JPG

Most of the Superstructure fitted :

Superstructure 1.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Thank you John.

Now we're getting ridiculous :o . There are 13 Ventilators to make - these consist of two 2mm circles with a 1mm circle sandwiched between them. The one I've made so far took me about 15 minutes, not counting glue drying time. I've got to come up with a better way of cutting them out. I've checked the Interweb for precision hole punches, but the only set that would do the job is from Waldron and costs £55.60 ($AU97.00) :o . There's also this lot from Historex (UK), couple of Pounds dearer. I'll probably get a set, but not until I win Lotto :D :

IMG_3410.JPG

Cheers, Danny

2 hours ago, Dan Vad said:

Thank you John.

Now we're getting ridiculous :o . There are 13 Ventilators to make - these consist of two 2mm circles with a 1mm circle sandwiched between them. The one I've made so far took me about 15 minutes, not counting glue drying time. I've got to come up with a better way of cutting them out. I've checked the Interweb for precision hole punches, but the only set that would do the job is from Waldron and costs £55.60 ($AU97.00) :o . There's also this lot from Historex (UK), couple of Pounds dearer. I'll probably get a set, but not until I win Lotto :D

Look into a Japanese Hole Punch.  If you build card, this tool becomes a good friend.

I will admit....a tad pricey, but worth it.

Enjoying your build.  I have a copy of their Bismarck with the laser cut detail set and a full set of turned barrels.  Just have not had the nerve to start this monster.  But will admit, of my card kit collection, it is the top dog.  Look forward to more.

Rick

great start on her Danny........have you tried to sharpen the edge on brass tube the size of your circles?     may help you out......I dunno. ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hey howya goin Danny mate, ask the other ship card makers see what they use.   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Danny this does cost more but has more to the set https://www.bnamodelworld.com/hobby-tools-supplies-misc-supplies-rp-toolz-rp-pd

You could get a hold punch but get 1 that does the hole a little bigger then the size your after.    :bird-vi:

Hi Dan,

have  a look through my log for the Bismarck and Borodino as I have used sharpened brass tube to punch out the portholes. 

The Rp tools punch from BNA models is on my to get list also. 

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Dan, did you re-read the V108 tutorial? There's a few tips and hints in there. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, if you click on this page and scroll down a little, there's a demonstration on how to cut out very small circles without using a punch. Punches are wonderful tools, but if you can't afford one and/or don't want to mess around with the sharpened brass tube trick (which is a good trick), you can try the short-cut from the tutorial.

You are making some rapid progress!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

great start on her Danny........have you tried to sharpen the edge on brass tube the size of your circles?     may help you out......I dunno. ;) 

Popeye - hah :D . I thought the exact same thing while I was driving home 10 minutes ago. Soon as I got home I checked what little brass tubing I have left - out of luck. Smallest is 3.0mm ID :( . I'll buy some smaller tube next time I'm in town.

Eddie - I checked out the punch set, beyond my price range at the moment but on the wish list :D . Seeing the pic on the site gave me an idea though, which WORKS for the 1mm pieces (actually 1.2mm because I'm also out of 1mm wire ;) ). I used my Byrnes Drawplate to punch out a piece, only a dozen to go :

IMG_3411.JPG

Chris - some great tips in your Log, I'll read it all shortly. I'm going to use your technique for the 2mm circles.

Cheers, Danny

It took me about 1/2 an hour to punch out the 1mm circles and cut the 2mm ones using Chris' tip. I settled for octagons - near impossible to see they aren't actually circles ;) . Now to glue them on, won't take very long :

Ventilators 2.JPG

Cheers, Danny

I use toe nail clippers to do a lot of my trim work.......perhaps they might be a help to you as well.   they have two types:  concave and convex........they also have two sizes,  that I know of.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks Popeye, I've used nail clippers on the odd occasion before.

I've made the two Gun Turrets. I used a piece of scrap Castello to make a support for the base. This is slightly smaller than the finished diameter as I want to wrap the sides under the top for a better finish on the join :

Turrets (1).JPG

I cut two slots into the timber to house the gun barrels, which I made from some aluminium tubing I had lying around. These were painted matt black after this pic was taken, and then glued to the base with PVA :

Turrets (2).JPG

After gluing on the side and top I trimmed off the slight overlap using a variation on Slog's method whereby I rested the TIP of the blade on the cutting mat and chopped off tiny slivers while rotating the turret. It was a bit easier to do this way as I couldn't see the piece I was cutting with the BASE of the blade on the mat due to the height of the turret :

Turrets (3).JPG

Not too bad at all :D . Note the Vents have been fitted UNDER the top for a bit of depth :

Turrets (4).JPG

One turret fitted to the deck. The ventilators etc will be fitted next - they would have been badly damaged if fitted at an earlier stage :

Turrets (5).JPG

Here's a question, probably for Slog - I've used a Faber Castell PITT marker to edge colour the sides of the hull/deck joint. It all worked fine until I got just over one side done and the tip dried up. Any tips on getting the ink running again?

Cheers, Danny

if that's the same one I use,  I just rejuvenate it with some India ink.  the top comes off and I squirt some in.   I just looked at my bottle of ink......but it doesn't list the active ingredientpen.jpg.18663474ca548ed83510d38337dc61f8.jpg

grasping at straws.......perhaps alcohol? 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

grasping at straws.......perhaps alcohol?

I tried that (briefly) - no go :( . Maybe I should have left it in the Isopropyl a bit longer, but I'd rather not wreck a brand new pen just yet.

Cheers, Danny

I had another 12 tiny circles to cut for the Turret Vents, so I tried Slog's Method. It works really well - you are in total control of exactly how much to take off with each cut :) . Thank you Slog, I'm getting a lot of good tips from yours and Chris' Build Logs (so much still to learn :rolleyes: ).

Vents (1).JPG

I also made and fitted the other six Vents (I'm calling them that for want of a better description. I think they may actually be Viewing Slots) :

Vents (2).JPG

Cheers, Danny

48 minutes ago, Jim Lad said:

Are you going to sink her as a breakwater when she's finished?

It depends on how she comes out John :D .

Cheers, Danny