IJN Isuzu 1945 by RGL - FINISHED - Aoshima - 1/350 - PLASTIC - Light Cruiser

My next project is the IJN Isuzu in 1/350 from Aoshima. Date of sinking, 6 April 1945, the same as the Yamato. 1.thumb.jpg.cb036a32bc62ebee135f94772af100f1.jpg

This is a very very bland kit, the box art is based on one photo taken in 1944 after it's last refit, unfortunately Aoshima didn't bother with any of the details on the hull, and there is so little reference materiel available (That I can find in English or any other language) that I have to go off what I can find online. 2.thumb.jpg.c7fc80f117515a4364a438b041e2f786.jpg

I got the flyhawk upgrade set and will replace nearly everything on the kit bar the hull and decks. I could not face a long project, as the Yamato was pretty much out of the box, this is going to be a kit bash. 3.thumb.jpg.1d1dfd393c5f781f3e4e524b1b98d3f3.jpg

I purchased the Profile Morskie plans which are great for gun placements and details of the structures but no deck details. As you can see I have done up some planning for the hull plates. 4.thumb.jpg.e7e863c90d99f77a3832f2cec67d3fd8.jpg

Its been a slow start as I've been trying to get my head around hull construction. You can see her compared to Yamato, no where near as complex. 5.thumb.jpg.26e2e64aa70f9e86bdc879d6e8c52678.jpg

Greg

You can see there is a lot of molded detail, all the stuff on the hull is wrong and the entire deck detail has to go. so far I have stripped the deck completely and sanded the hull back, individual stanchion holes have been drilled as well.

I will have to replace all the deck equipment with something not looking like a plastic blob, make up hull plates, paint and weather it as to it's last day of staying afloat, rusty and beaten, with sandbags, etc and new guns. Nearly every model I have seen on the net does not match the final photo of her, and as hard as you may find this to believe, I think people may have made things up!

IMG_4199.JPG

IMG_4200.JPG

IMG_4201.JPG

IMG_4202.JPG

IMG_4203.JPG

IMG_4204.JPG

Greg

Hi Greg, will be following along also.  Looks like an interesting build.

Seeing it along side the Yamato, it isn't as small as I imagined it would be.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Greg, I'll ride along with you on this one, too. I think these Japanese light AA cruisers were the equivalents of the American Atlanta class. The Atlantas were loaded with 5" turrets and lighter for AA protection of the carriers.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

It's good to see a few other plastic modellers here now! 

Moving on, I have finally stripped the decks, the top deck comes in three sections which will have substantial gaps between them which will need a fair bit of work. The quad torpedo launchers are supposed to be put in beforehand but it will make painting a continuous deck problematic so I cut the bottom off the so they can be slid in later as the interior will not be visible. 

I have also also added the ringols to the portholes and added the manual aiming Port (right hand side near the large opening), which is  visible on the photo and in other references for the IJN but not made up in the kit. 

My quandry now is, do I add the deck? The hull is going to need plating added and numerous other details and the deck will be linoleum (brownish), requiring a lot of masking to separate the two colours. 

IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4254.JPG

IMG_4255.JPG

Greg

looks like you've embarked on a fun little project Greg.   as with most smaller kits......lots of molded detail.   I look forward in seeing what you'll do with her :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Pretty much destroyed most of the detail popeye, slowly removing and sanding everything back, a couple of indentations to fill where the pumps and cable reels are supposed to go as they are utterly inaccurate. 

The rear deck area; I replaced the doors (hatches), added proper cable reels, and some support gussets. The Flyhawk set adds an extension to the top deck to make it like the kit is supposed to be. I won't glue this down yet as I will have to paint it beforehand. 

I picked up some rattle can primers yesterday so I can start building up the hull plates, once I can do that up I can add the multitude of side panels that are displayed on the box art and original photo (if anyone knows what they are I'd love to know, open and zoom in on the b/w photo), plus a LOT of scuppers at the waterline. IMG_4259.thumb.JPG.fa597a3422e20f52a39659ecfc7a9138.JPG

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4258.JPG

IMG_4260.JPG

IMG_4261.JPG

Greg

I have started the primer coats on the hull, I'll try and use masking tape to delineate between the hull armour, so there will be multiple coats. 

In in the interim I have started up the PE deck assemblies. This Flyhawk set is very nice, but a bit of work to do yet to fill gaps and smother with sisal splinter shields. This is a central ventilation room which will seat 2 triple type 96 25mm AA guns (same pain as the Yamato to build). 

IMG_4281.JPG

IMG_4282.JPG

IMG_4283.JPG

IMG_4286.JPG

Greg

That photo etch structure looks sweet as, Greg.  Fantastic stuff.

cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

super how the P.E.  details the structures.....above and below deck.   cripe.....I remember when they didn't even do the panel lines on planes.   modeling evolution at it's finest! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

There are three gun mounts for the high altitude AA guns, the forward mount is the trickiest as the PE is out by about .5mm. 

The rear mounts are fairly simple and get sandbags. 

Did they have them? Who knows, I reckon they'd have wanted as much protection as they could by 1945. 

IMG_4295.JPG

IMG_4296.JPG

IMG_4297.JPG

IMG_4298.JPG

Greg

After much masking and multiple coats of rattle can primer, I have replicated the hull plates, which I'm actually quite happy with. They are about .1mm higher than each other which should be correct for scale.

Most kits have scribed or raised seams which is just not accurate. Now I can scribe the individual plates and add the scuppers and the mysterious bits on the side of the hull before another overall coat of primer. 

With pre shading to delineate them all I'm hoping it will come up ok in the end before it gets messed up with heavy weathering. 

IMG_4302.JPG

IMG_4303.JPG

IMG_4304.JPG

Greg

If you zoom in on the second photo, you can see strange rectangular panels on the hull, which have been suggested as strengthening strikes but I'm not convinced. There are also what appear to be longitudinal scuppers beneath them and little bulbous scuppers just above the waterline. 

I used offcut PE for the 'strokes' as it is easier to work with and very thin, evergreen strips for scupper pipes and half sanded vents in resin for the waterline scuppers. 

There is is another layer of primer to go yet before pre shading so it won't be so stark. The hull panel lines were easily cut into the multiple layers of primer. The hull ladder rungs to go. 

IMG_4305.JPG

IMG_4306.JPG

IMG_4307.JPG

IMG_4308.JPG

Greg

I do love these models enhanced with PE. I'm keen to try my hand at it, though I have large fingers which scare me off!

Anton T

Current build

1/78 Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal - kit bashed

1/72 Arleigh Burke class DDG flight iia/iii - Sratch built RC - no log

Waiting for further inspiration

STS Leeuwin II 1/56 scratch built (90% completed)

Previous builds - completed

1/72 HMAS Brisbane, Airwarfare Destroyer 2014 -Scratch built RC - completed

1/64 HMS Diana 1796 - caldercraft kit - completed

1/75 Friesland 1668- mamoli kit - completed

1/96 HMAS Newcastle FFG 2011- scratch built RC - completed

1/75 Vasa - Billing Boats - completed

Will watch with interest.

I do like the way you give yourself more work with the PE. Of course it will look great when done.

Looking good so far.

I also can't believe how fast you work with the PE. I've just added a few of the smaller fittings to my model and that took me the day to do!!

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

hull's look'in great Greg...the lines are showing up nice ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Prop shafts done and the final coat of primer. I cut off the plastic shafts and replaced them with brass rod. 

The sea sea steps were filed off and replaced, I've always tried to use North Star steps and it's just hard work to trim and place them, but the idea came to me to use railings from PE, bent over my metal ruler which are easier to handle and look better. 

Now I actually have some panel lines to work with preshading etc will be a lot more 3D than making it up. 

Before i I get there tho I have to practice some new weathering techniques on a spare hull. 

IMG_4315.JPG

IMG_4316.JPG

IMG_4317.JPG

IMG_4318.JPG

Greg