Shrouds to mast

Ok so the roockie is at it again ! Im getting ready to rigg my masts on the Santa Maria for the very first time im not quite sure how to and where to start i need you guys to hold my hand ! Any tip or trick i need to know anything i must do that is not on the plan ....mind you all the plans ar'nt that great ! 

Without any other references, the rigging plans with the kit should be adequate.

When I search in the build logs, the first completed log I come across is:

This would probably be a good place to start..

When I Google " Santa Maria model ship ' images, I get many hits with images that should provide a lot of information..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Make sure you complete each step as you go. As after installing other rigging lines it can be hard and fiddily to go back and finish areas off.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Standing rigging first i.e. shrouds and stays then the running rigging and I find working from prow to stern is easiest order otherwise you tend to be trying to work within rigging you've already installed. Pre assemble as much of the mast and spars as possible off the hull then start by stepping the lower masts and standing rigging then the next level of masts etc.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Before you get any further I think you need to take a short break and get this book "Rigging Period Ships" by Lennarth Petersson. I know it covers one specific three masted ship but it will give you a good working idea on how the rigging runs, attachments, what loops over what etc.If the only instructions you currently have are one or two rigging plans (illustrations) this will help you make sense of it all. If you're like me you want to get it all done "NOW" but it's well worth stopping for a short time and getting this book. Don't know where you're based but EBay is a pretty good place for this item.

I know yours is from an earlier period but the basic mechanics would be similar enough that securing points etc. should be fairly obvious then.

Another excellent reference is "Historic Ship Models by Wolfram zu Mondfeld..

It should have some details regarding the rigging of the type you are working on..

Browse through some of the excellent build logs, and click through to the rigging parts.

Trying to take you through this, question by question, is going to result in a virtual build log, using diagrams and

technique that has already been provided.

Here is a good start from a log I suggested to you earlier..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Don't get discouraged. But there are a lot of specific smaller tasks involved in rigging the mast of a sailing ship. My advice is to break it down one step at a time. Everyone here is delighted to help you but you will have to meet us halfway and ask specific questions. Descriptions of each part you are talking about will be important since there are specific aspects unique to each task. "Eyehole start with knot but don't know where to finish" isn't helpful since you are not being specific enough for us to understand which part you are talking about! Complicating matters at first ( but making it MUCH SIMPLER later) is the fact that everything on a ship has a specific nautical name you must learn. It's daunting having to learn the names of everything but if you can't use the nautical name you have to either give a lengthy deescription that identifies the part OR you have to provide photos with circles and arrows. But keep in mind that everything you see in the instructions has a simple explanation and you are perfectly able to accomplish the tasks you are facing. AND it's fun.

Niagara USS Constitution 

On 2017-5-24 at 1:42 AM, Rick01 said:

Before you get any further I think you need to take a short break and get this book "Rigging Period Ships" by Lennarth Petersson. I know it covers one specific three masted ship but it will give you a good working idea on how the rigging runs, attachments, what loops over what etc.If the only instructions you currently have are one or two rigging plans (illustrations) this will help you make sense of it all. If you're like me you want to get it all done "NOW" but it's well worth stopping for a short time and getting this book. Don't know where you're based but EBay is a pretty good place for this item.

I know yours is from an earlier period but the basic mechanics would be similar enough that securing points etc. should be fairly obvious then.

A did buy that book and a couple more ! Thanx for the advice 😆

On 2017-5-27 at 7:11 AM, JerseyCity Frankie said:

Don't get discouraged. But there are a lot of specific smaller tasks involved in rigging the mast of a sailing ship. My advice is to break it down one step at a time. Everyone here is delighted to help you but you will have to meet us halfway and ask specific questions. Descriptions of each part you are talking about will be important since there are specific aspects unique to each task. "Eyehole start with knot but don't know where to finish" isn't helpful since you are not being specific enough for us to understand which part you are talking about! Complicating matters at first ( but making it MUCH SIMPLER later) is the fact that everything on a ship has a specific nautical name you must learn. It's daunting having to learn the names of everything but if you can't use the nautical name you have to either give a lengthy deescription that identifies the part OR you have to provide photos with circles and arrows. But keep in mind that everything you see in the instructions has a simple explanation and you are perfectly able to accomplish the tasks you are facing. AND it's fun.

Thanx i am learning the names and yes its fun but its still my first ship and im missing some documents so i did put it aside and started an other one AKA La Niña ill absorb some experience from a couple other ships before retirning to the Santa Maria !