Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jnorton1946

Irish currach rigging

I am finishing up a model of a 6th-century Irish currach. I would like to show it with sails, but cannot find good images or diagrams that clearly show how sails on such a craft would be rigged.  Any information, links, or references would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

James

James, have you had a look at Tim Severin's book, "The Brendan Voyage", in which he builds a Curragh and sails it across the Atlantic?

John

Canute likes this

Hi.Try this link www.tradboats.ie

Canute likes this

Hi James

Would love to see your model - do you have a build log for it?

Canute likes this

I have read Severin's book, but am still unclear about the rigging. I am particularly interested in where the sheets, halliards, etc., were secured on the boat.  There is no evidence of cleats or the equivalent of belaying pins, and I suspect the lines were simply tied around the thwarts or perhaps to the thole pins, since the oars would probably not have been used when the sails were deployed.

The link to the Brendan curragh replica was fun to watch, but I couldn't get much new info from it.

I have looked through the Traditional Boats of Ireland site, but not much there about curragh masts, sails, and rigging.

Thanks for the replies.  I will post a picture of the model soon. I am currently sculpting figures for the curragh, including one of Saint Columba, who sailed from Ireland to Scotland in 653.

James

Hi James

Colin Mudie has designed quite a few replica ships - one of them is the Brendan that was used by Tim Severin in recreating the voyage of St Brendan to the new world (I saw this boat in 1987 when I visited the Irish Heritage Center in county Clare).  I have Colin Mudie's book (Colin Mudie Sailing Ships), since it was very helpful in building my sectional model of Dunbrody - which is another of his replica ships.  I checked his book and found a couple of photos and a drawing.  I'll send them to you as a PM.

I hope this helps.