I'd like to try my hand at making my own rope.  My original plan was to purchase a Byrnes Rope Walk.  Unfortunately, Jim has decided not to produce the tool any longer.  I would like something more permanent and sturdy than the Model Shipways product.  Has anyone had experience with both the Byrnes machine as well as the Domanoff Rope Walk?  How does Alexey's measure up?  Any tips/tricks you've learned?

Hi Dave

I have the Prosak model.  I've tried a couple of versions of the horizontal rope walks, but I find the Prosak to be really easy to use and very flexible.  It can do left or right hand lay and can do 4-strand as well as 3.  The length of rope is determined by how high you can mount the Prosak off the floor.  I generally make 4 to 6 foot strands, which is long enough for anything I need.

Hello Dave. I have both the Byrnes and the Domanoff. Making my own rope has been an obsession for me since the early 90's when I built my Heller Victory.

I am not surprised Byrnes is not making his machine anymore. Although Byrne's machines have rave reviews by every user I've heard from, his ropewalk was not a very successful one. I got very tired when using it, because you have to constantly keep turning the take up handle manually in order to keep the winding point within certain limits. That forces you to maintain your attention fixed on that point constantly and to me, that was very tiresome.

The Domanoff... I have not had the time to fully test it, because I stupidly broke a couple of pieces while assembling it. Had to wait for Alexey to send me replacement parts (at no cost, except for shipping) and those pieces arrived to me yesterday.

The Domanoff is fully automated so you don't have to fix your attention constantly on how it is performing. As I said, I haven't had enough time to fully test it, but intend to do it shortly.

I have another machine which was made by a friend of mine. The problem with this is that it only makes ropes of a fixed length. The beauty is that the winding of the rope starts by itself once the threads have been twisted enough and the tension itself is what makes the winding to start. This feature is what makes perfect and very tight rope. Not sure this explanation makes any sense. :o 

Hope this helps.

Ulises

donrobinson and jud like this

Have you thought about making your own?

Here is the first little rope maker I made with some final product..

591f970eabf6f_Rope1.JPG.c83cbe2fc893b16c62c8b3da8638194b.JPG591f9723d71b8_Rope2.JPG.67ced4ab603f3e50c54f39567c8067f7.JPG

I have what I call my 2nd generation machine now, but it's not far removed from what you see above..

donrobinson likes this

Dave, have a go at making your own.

After I figured out the essentials of ropemaking, I also made my own machine. I used scrap pieces of wood and metal, plastic cogs and a geared motor, al very cheap. I can produce really good rope at lengths of more than 2 meters, in my new garage probably even longer. I can do both right and left lay 3 strand rope.