Tools You Can't Live Without

What are top 3 modeling tools?  Past or present...

Hey howya goin Maturin mate, a mechanical pencil, ruler and a hammer to bash wood into place beacuse I forgot to pick a saw as my third item.   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Hard to pick just 3.

Knife, ruler and pencil?

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

dental tools, dental tools and dental tools...

Larry

Current Build:          New Bedford Whaleboat by Model Shipways scale 1:16

Completed Builds:  Cape Cod Nimblet Knockabouts - Loon, Hawk, Gull and Falcon

Howard W. Middleton scale 1:96 - 1883 coastal coal schooner

Susan P.  scale 1:24 - Maine Lobster Boat by Freedom Song Boatworks

Yacht America scale 1:96 by Marine Models

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 12 1/2 scale 1:12

Thermopylae scale 1:124 - English Tea Clipper by Mantua Models

Roar Ege - Roskilde, Denmark Coastal Trader Viking Ship

A googled language translator and a translator to translate the translator

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Xacto knife or scalpel, diamond tweezers and ........ number 1 - Headband Magnifier. It's the first thing I reach for when I sit down.

I'm looking for a good one to replace my 10-year-old one - the lenses are getting past it, too many scratches. I'd prefer one with a 3rd lens that goes to 6x or 8x magnification - not that useless drop-down round one but an actual rectangular lens. It also doesn't need those equally useless lights - they don't do anything a good movable worklight can't do, and they get rather heavy after an hour or so.

Any recommendations?

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

1 hour ago, Dan Vad said:

Any recommendations?

Danny I just started using these. 

59277fc4df186_Magglasses.jpg.841862a23d341f48a0ef43dd39604811.jpg

Likes:  very lightweight, comfortable, when using you still have great peripheral vision, 5 different lens (although not 6-8x like you mentioned), inexpensive

Dislikes: light is worthless, magnification requires you to be very close to what you are working on. 

Thanks Michael. The 3.5x @ 80-120mm is about half the distance from the job that my current ones work at. How easy is it to swap the lenses over? That's one good thing about my current one - you simply flip down the 2nd lens to double the magnification :) .

I also found THIS ONE, a Chinese knock-off of the Donegan magnifier. Anyone else use it, and what do you think of it?

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

27 minutes ago, Dan Vad said:

I also found THIS ONE, a Chinese knock-off of the Donegan magnifier

I have these ones the screws on the side keep coming loose.    :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Get the Donogan Optivisor with glass lenses - a word of difference from the plastic lenses - much clearer and they don't scratch.  I swap out the lenses when I need more power rather than picking up the old plastic lens unit.  I think I will just get rid of the plastic version - I will never use it again.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

I have these ones the screws on the side keep coming loose.    :bird-vi:

I have one like that.  Works really well and has glass lens.  I think I paid about US$12 for them on eBay.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

3 hours ago, grsjax said:

I have one like that.  Works really well and has glass lens.  I think I paid about US$12 for them on eBay.

I've bought one of them on Ebay, $AU20.83 with free postage :) . Eddie, I'll check the screws :D .

Cheers, Danny

1 minute ago, Dan Vad said:

Eddie, I'll check the screws

It happens when you lift it up and down a couple of times I also got mine off of ebay, now it just sits in the cupboard.

18 minutes ago, MESSIS said:

Sorry guys.... but why not scotch whisky? After all the  British Royal Navy was and is in naval history of major importance! (am not british subj. but love a good scotch, single malt mmmmmm or blended)

Cheers all

Christos

Indeed. I love Canadian Crown Royal whisky, but it is like a reward after a job well done, not as a tool! :cheers:

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

53 minutes ago, MESSIS said:

Sorry guys.... but why not scotch whisky? After all the  British Royal Navy was and is in naval history of major importance! (am not british subj. but love a good scotch, single malt mmmmmm or blended)

Cheers all

Christos

34 minutes ago, Ulises Victoria said:

Indeed. I love Canadian Crown Royal whisky, but it is like a reward after a job well done, not as a tool! :cheers:

I concur ! But my personal favorite is Connemara Peated Single Malt Irish Whiskey.

My home-made disc sander is by far the most useful tool I have. My dremel motosaw comes second and a 50 cm aluminium ruler third.

With two babies at home I cannot really have alcohol, I am sure this is the reason behind my very slow progress!

Dear vaddoc, 

My babys (boy and girl) are now adults.... so am free to dink anything I like, at any time. But believe me I would have given  away all the best whisky of the world if I had babys again in the house! So NJoy.... enjoy it its wonderfull.

Christos

Ps I said so my daughter..... and she is thinking of it.... you never know, a grandchild on board surely its a fine thing!

On 5/26/2017 at 6:35 AM, Eddie said:

It happens when you lift it up and down a couple of times I also got mine off of ebay, now it just sits in the cupboard.

If you go to a hardware store, you can find locknuts with plastic inserts that you can use to replace the ones on the headband. The locknuts will not loosen up once you put them on. Just be sure you know what size thread you need before you go to the store.

Cheers -

John

lock_nut.jpg

20 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

I concur ! But my personal favorite is Connemara Peated Single Malt Irish Whiskey.

Man, 

I never use alcohol as a reward but as a tool. When I am vexed by a particular assembly and  my head is hurting, fingers and hands twisted in knots a good snokering makes things very clear. Or it seems so at the time!!

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

I generally skip the booze when working, buts a product of never quite know when my wife or kids are gonna interupt and need something fixed/installed/delivered/painted/mowed/assembled or played with #dadlife.    Otherwise, my essential tools these days are patience, iPad for MSW and a good set of sanding sticks.  #fairallday.

That said...   single malt, super peaty, fire and I'm happy, of course happier when following a particularly productive session in the shipyard without breaking anything.