Hi glad to be among some great builders (not me though ) I just cannot believe some of these photos. Just found this site and have been hooked to this computer since...." Great " work.

My name is louie I recently retired and have some previous build experience  .. Santa Maria  and Sultana but nothing like what I see here. Right now I am trying to advance with the Fair American 1:48 but am at a standstill right up front , the instructions are over my head ,

you have to be a sculptor besides a wood worker .Anyway I am stuck on the transom construction and hope to pick the minds and photos of this site Hopefully it will turn out half as good as what I see and I will be overjoyed .

Thanks lou

Welcome to MSW Louie! Great to have you with us.

I highly recommend if you have not done so yet to start up a build log so we can see your pictures and help you work through the issues. I always say to try not to compare your work always against those that are better. Instead use them for inspiration and guidance but only compare your work against your own work with the goal in mind to make sure each build is a little better than the last. That way you are always improving and before you know it, your work will be up there with those you admire. :D

I wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing your ships!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 3:29 PM, lou.mack11@yahoo.com said:

Hi glad to be among some great builders (not me though )

Welcome aboard Louie,

As EJ says try not to compare with other builds. Take a look at mine, A top class builder would find lots of faults. Especially the square ports. Not the neatest job around but they look good enough at this scale.

Build for yourself as i do.

A build log would be good we can see what you are doing and give any advice you may need. When i get stuck on a section, which i did a few times building the hull i move to another part of the build i know won't give me too much trouble. I then check out other builds read and reread the instructions until it suddenly comes to me what i need to do.

Good luck with your build and hope to see a few pictures soon.:)

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

Welcome aboard Lou,

You already received some good advise from E.J. and Paul.

Rest me to say, enjoy your stay here.

I wish you smooth sailing with our gallant crew.

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hey howya goin Lou mate, welcome.    :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)