Adjustable height table.

Hello all. I've always had the idea of having an adjustable height table for my ship building, so I can work seated or standing, or just placing my ship at different heights depending if I'm working in hull planking, deck fittings, masting and rigging etc.

This seems to be it. What do you think?

https://www.amazon.com/Standing-Desk-Adjustable-Converter-Instantly/dp/B00Y3P0K1M/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

or

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KVY2FSE/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I38PNU1DFXQRWU&colid=2MQQARSVJJW7W

Cheers

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Hi Ulises

I have one of the Ikea 'sit/stand' tables and really like it.  I like being able to adjust the table height based on what I'm working on.

DSCN4983.thumb.jpg.e0d5ff3c7f4e6cc981bd7027d61e4b21.jpg

Here's a link to the product on the Ikea web site:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49084965/

I have also been on the lookout for an adjustable height table.  While I have seen several varieties that adjust upward I have yet to come across one that adjusts downward in order to facilitate the work on the upper rigging while seated.  To me, that would be the more useful situation.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

49 minutes ago, popeye2sea said:

I have also been on the lookout for an adjustable height table.  While I have seen several varieties that adjust upward I have yet to come across one that adjusts downward in order to facilitate the work on the upper rigging while seated.  To me, that would be the more useful situation.

Regards,

Hello Henry. Maybe if you find a really low table where to put this item on?

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Lift tables are fantastic for modeling.

Lee Valley Tools has just offered a kit.

I had built my own having solicited ideas on this forum I opted for wheels to make it mobile so I could walk around it and a section of the top that the model is being built on tilting up to 60° forward and backwards so I could more easily access the underbelly of the frames and the inside.

Links below in my signature line to my table and my very early stage build.  If you go to the near the end of my posts in each you will see the end result as built and being used.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

I couldn't agree more that it's better to stand rather than sit for much of your model building. When I built my workbench many years ago, I built it very high, so it's really comfortable for working when standing. I also have a stool, rather than a chair, so I can sit at it comfortably as well. I would say that I spend my time about 50-50 standing vs sitting when I'm working. The only problem I discovered when it came to rigging my Constitution was that the workbench was too high for some of the upper rigging. I had to move the model to a card table. An adjustable table for your bench sounds like a great idea to me.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Hi Ulises, I went a slightly different route and purchased an adjustable desk frame to which I added a desktop I already had.  This particular frame was the heavy duty version as the desktop was large and heavy and I wanted to allow for a 1:48 build and build board.  This frame also allows me to drive the table down a little bit (not much but about 6 inches) below standard desk height -  for the reason to do exactly what you want to do.  Unfortunately, due to the design I cannot tilt it :(

I don't know where you would get one as I bought mine from a local office furniture provider (and not cheap due to the 'heavy duty' frame) but the package looks like this:

Untitled-1.jpg.08e4e74646de5e70cb08b56f52ef411e.jpg

Cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hello Pat. This may be more like yours...

All you need is a piece of 1 inch plywood and you determine the size of your work surface.

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Ergonomic-Standing-Adjustable-DESK-V100M/dp/B01ITHJMBI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1496448377&sr=8-4&keywords=adjustable+work+table

Very similar but the 'hand' raulic version ;):)

cherers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

17 hours ago, AON said:

Lee Valley Tools

They also have a motorized lift kit that looks promising.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

I use IKEA's electric version (bekant), and super happy with it.

They exist in two widths and also an L-shaped version:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00263218/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50263225/#/80263224

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60263220/

Smooth and stable.

The only thing to keep in mind - I would not use a hammer / mallet on it, this can damage the mechanism.