Bluenose by Nirvana - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

Sorry for the grainy resolution, but painting has been achieved. 

Don't touch still wet!

painted.JPG.cb7816a6f5f5558626e0480c0720898e.JPG

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Isn't that Laser just the thing! Merry Christmas. :):P

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Per - what are the water levelers you mentioned?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

One (long) is sitting on the mdf board to get the board longitudinal leveled and then one (small) across the "railing" to get Blue the other longitudinal right.

See page 5, last posting, picture 2 and 3.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Pssst Mike - Most of us just call them levels. :P

Dr. Per is just getting technical on you.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

hmmmm......I have one of those laser levels {sitting in my workshop gathering dust}.   I have one of those line levels as well {the one going across the deck}.  this looks like a very good method per.......I will have to try this out  ;)     thanks for the tip!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Shoulda looked at the pic closer. I thought it had something to do with the plastic on the deck. :rolleyes: Something new and revolutionary guaranteed to change our hobby for generations to come.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

1 hour ago, mikiek said:

Shoulda looked at the pic closer. I thought it had something to do with the plastic on the deck. :rolleyes: Something new and revolutionary guaranteed to change our hobby for generations to come.

The plastic on the deck is new to me, to prevent paint on bare wood.....:P

Respectfully

Ok maybe its time to come clean here. Per & I have been discussing the best way to mark the waterline on a model. My wife has one of these levels that projects a laser line across the room. She uses it when hanging pictures in the house. I borrowed it to try out on my model. As Per describes above you need to get your model level both from side to side and front to back. Now in the case of my Syren, the plans show that she is just a bit lower in the Bow. so being level is not always the right solution.

Once you have your model setup correctly you need a tripod or a similar stool to put the laser on and project the line across the model. I have found this is the best way to project the water line on any model.

And for Christmas and for all his help I sent him a laser to use on his Bluenose. The result is what you see above.

One suggestion - for those models that the waterline is not even with the deck as the Bluenose is. I used the plans and created a mark on the model with a black marker that was at the bow and where the Waterline ended. I also created a similar mark at the stern. I then adjusted the laser until it touched both marks. Give it a try.

OK - I like the concept. So I have a laser line on the hull. Then what? Do you still need a stand of some sort to hold a marker to actually draw the line?

No Stand. What I did was use the marker to place a small dot on the hull on the laser line. You might also want to test your line by rotating the model to make sure your line is the same from port to starboard. If you are spray painting as Per was you can just lay masking tape on the laser line. If you go to my Syren log you will see a picture of the whole setup. Model on the bench with the laser on a tripod facing the model.

And Per thanks for giving me some space on your log. :)

PS Mike that looks like a nice T38 in your avatar. Both Per & I have built one.

As for the laser setup I used my Gitzo tripod with a separate head (Gitzo - Swiss made )  The tripod is heavy duty and not light to carry around.

Will take a picture of it later.

Floyd, time for you to change your avatar to your T37!

Edit:

Picture as promised: look at the weight in the scale window.

P1030851.JPG.dade882d8e87da4cae9b7786b5f11592.JPG

Edited by Nirvana

Respectfully

Floyd I have built the T37, the T24 Tug and I have their T50 Trimaran on the shelf. Looking forward to seeing that one on the water. Rumor has it there is nothing else like it for speed. Will does a great job with his products at Tippiecanoe. I really like the idea of a nice build that you can do something with when you're done.

Anti-foul painting done,

P1030852.JPG.0c959b8547e7f7122bb7b6569371a40a.JPG

currently masking off for the blackis/blue paint. Vallejo had the perfect tone.

Edited by Nirvana

Respectfully

The lower part is done. The anti-fouling reddish is as I want.

Next was to mask the lower area, so the blackish/blue could be applied.

I am so happy working with the air brush, the out-come is so much better than a regular brush.

Following two pictures is showing the somewhat result, this as the port has been painted and sanded and the starboard is partly painted.

5a40606457069_portblackandblue.JPG.7e8e30706634388c0ff8660e76948c8d.JPG

5a406007e93b2_starboardblack-bluepaint.JPG.34941633186aaddf8d610d01ebcf8abb.JPG

Respectfully

Glad the air brush is working out for you. One suggestion there - get yourself some spare parts. The needles can get bent in a heartbeat and are useless after that. Depending on the brand parts can be a long time coming. Other parts - that little crown looking thing that screws on the tip, a brush cleaning set, inline moisture remover.

Don't know if you have had to take it apart yet but when you do, count every screw turn and write it down. Great as they are, they can be very finicky when not adjusted just right.

Mike,

I have had it apart already and after the Windex solution for cleaning my unit works real well. But yes,  I will look into getting spare parts.

Thanks for the recommendation. 

Respectfully

I'm Not too far behind you. Your's is a beautiful, patient project.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

So I had the first coat of the black/blue coating over the hull, but I don't fancy it to much.

It has more of a blue/green tone, so I am to experiment of mixing to create the tone I like.

P1030859.JPG.86bce30fd7daa659976c09fe34859a01.JPG

Again, always write down the rations so I will remember for future use.

I will also create my own color chart. 

Respectfully

Hey, Doc. Can we go back to the fake stantions? Not clear on why we're replacing those from the bulkheads.

Why can't I simply plank the bulkheads and place the fake ones between?

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Brian, 

Sure you can go that direction you are mentioned, but in the instructions it's kind of easily explained.

Re-read that section and look at Bluenose build and you will see.

However, I placed the "fake" stanchions a equal distance in-between the bulkheads and then cut the bulkheads and put in more "fakes", if you doing this properly and let the glue set the planking will be easy.  

Respectfully

I can't find one bloody word about that in my instructions. Doesn't talk about scuppers either.

In Dry Dock:

Brian, 

Here we go, 

1: Clamp a piece of plank approx. 6-8" covering three bulkhead. See picture: Three red arrow line.

5a41c8eccc6a5_Bulkheadstanchion.JPG.5cd306d59329c6ba8c82d208ae8acd70.JPG

Then insert the fake stanchions, see green line. These are to be even spaced between bulkheads.

There are three stanchions between each bulkhead.

5a41c9b6ba20e_fakestanchion.JPG.5cefd8fbd1e758e612ebe046d0ed4912.JPG

Now continue this procedure all the way, starboard and port side.

There are some cutting involved to get them done.

5a41caa923fc4_morestanchions.JPG.446b6cb2223e01185f084e4b9f6148d3.JPG

Once this is done, cut the bulkhead tops off.

I have an extremely fine-tooth saw (razor blade size) which I used for this.

saw.thumb.JPG.f02751db8657415ad2a67c18803ffb5e.JPG5a41cc034affd_cutaway.JPG.e0107a01ccf1e86110ac17074f95e677.JPG

Insert the fake stanchions where you cut the bulkheads out.

Work the stem and stern area before any waist planking is done.

As for the scuppers, I omitted them as they are so small.

Hope this explained how I did mine. I wouldn't say my way is the perfect one, I think we all are re-thinking the "wheel" with each build of any ship.

Edited by Nirvana

Respectfully

By jove I can do that!

Thanks!

In Dry Dock:

Just a quick comment on the scuppers. This was an idea from another builder many years ago. I agree it is hard but the result was impressive. Look at some of the other logs on this site.

PS I skipped it too. This was my first completed Build.

Floyd, I might go for the scuppers anyway, it's not to late to do them.

This as the waist looks heavy without them.

Respectfully

So I did go with scuppers anyway.

I created a simple jigg for this purpose as the waist is already there. 

At least they will be noticeable from the outside.

The holes in the wider part are slightly wider than the stanchions.

5a443531a1629_scupperjigg2.JPG.e40694d7e35d29935d64ee6858977070.JPG5a44353516539_scupperjigg.JPG.a80119d7102255a4571a4da0e8e23a58.JPG 

This needle is not being used when doing the holes only to hold the jigg in place for photo session.

5a44353305edf_scupperjigg3.JPG.34428137478f4794c35b68a5745f35b4.JPG

Respectfully

Painting done!

Masking tape off and then removal of the waterline tape.

P1030865.JPG.5ce525773e62c1c777c73ce990835b91.JPG

The waterline turned out better than I expected.

P1030867.JPG.14a9c1ed012ae172b3a3e1b49cd0d32a.JPG

Respectfully

Beautiful.

In Dry Dock: