Nirvana

Bluenose by Nirvana - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

So I thought going the more challenging way, by creating framing support for the coamings and deck structure.

This means I have to jump in between chapters.

20170730_132143.thumb.jpg.60ecab997107a2afe72f0e6a78da8736.jpg

So the hatch is being constructed,  the framing support are spot on for hatch and planking. Here is the hatch just put (not glued) in place.

Hopefully my planking will be as good so I won't have any gaps around the structures.

20170730_165459.jpg

Well, I got the hatch made.

In Bob Hunts practicum it's mention that the top is to be umber colored, but since I had mahogany laying around. 

I used that material instead, turned out nice in my opinion. 20170730_174619.thumb.jpg.9d4f57d146452b6a421faba125c0beb7.jpg

On 7/30/2017 at 8:50 PM, Nirvana said:

Well, I got the hatch made.

In Bob Hunts practicum it's mention that the top is to be umber colored, but since I had mahogany laying around. 

I used that material instead, turned out nice in my opinion. 20170730_174619.thumb.jpg.9d4f57d146452b6a421faba125c0beb7.jpg

Per - I did something similar with my hatch and cabin tops.  The older versions of the kit (back in the Model Shipways days) came with walnut veneers strips as an option to finishing the hull.  Since I was painting the hull, I used the walnut in the same way you used the mahogany.  I agree it is a much nicer look than the burnt umber painting.  Overall you are doing a fine job on this grand old lady.

Concerning the practicums direction on painting - it does not match the plans in a number of areas.  The sides and tops of the rails are reversed black for white, as one example.  Also the finishing of the cabins and hatches may have some discrepancies - don't quote me on that one, it's been a few years.  I followed the paint scheme from the plans rather than the practicum - I think it produces  a more "normal" look than the practicum.

As I recall it was that difference in color schemes that made me start questioning some of the practicum details and considering other ways of doing things.

Bob

so.....your going to plank over the bulkheads?

this is a pretty interesting concept here.  all of the POB's I've done supplied a deck platform for the deck planking.   to simply frame in the hatches and plank over the bulkheads is pretty neat.   if you wanted to go further with this,  since you've already installed the waterways,  additional cross beams can be installed at the halfway points between the bulkheads,  and the framing can be expanded to cover the entire deck surface.   of course,  it would depend on the planking method your going to use......whole strip or scale planking.   something to think about the next time I start a POB..........I'll keep this idea in mind ;) 

looking really nice so far :) 

I am back to my Bluenose,

build logs will slow down due to personal and family causes, new will follow in this matter...

but tonight I got some time with my lady, and one of the deck houses was finally installed.

structure.thumb.JPG.e1eac3327abae2a4b1223c4669732539.JPG

trying to create an old style photo

overview1.thumb.JPG.503cacdfde6bf16b1d689b400be5000e.JPG

I wasn't happy with the skylight, so it has been removed.

Along with that I decided to finalize the planking before structures came into place.

Planking is coming along nice, but slowly.

I followed the plans and added two planks 3/32" x 3/32" under the bowsprit.

After five planks out from center, it was time to add the 3/16" wide piece.

There is no support for the piece, where it is pointy so I added a strip under the deck plank to prevent is from falling inside the hull.

This is what I did after the 3/16" wide piece.

In order to continue planking there is no support for the 3/32" butting up. So I added another strip under the deck for this matter.

59b6d215b2c7c_extrawide.JPG.92e67d3cd05363f827047ab4839bdb3c.JPG

The deck planks hasn't been sanded so they are still rough and un-even.

It's getting time for me to get some nibbing experience.

Edited by Nirvana

Next step after all the planking is to get the knight and timberheads in.

First timberhead installed was a mistake, had to rip it out.

Then I thought..... I have the bulkhead tops, so why not use them as a guide.

With some scrap planks I had my guide.

timberhead.JPG.16c73b15be192c27b6c9085d6766c444.JPG

Cutting the 1/8th square I soon had my timberhead correctly cut and angled, with the planks it was easy to get it properly installed. As this timberhead is the first one installed I figured this is the way to get the remaining stanchions installed with the right angles.

timberhead_one.JPG.f160aca9db38cf5ab4529e01c651eb29.JPG