Azzoun

Decklight light fixture

I picked up these reclaimed deck lamps when I was in Mystic Seaport.  Here's my interpretative project on their display.  I'm thinking this will be my new light in the dining room.  Wife already ok'd.  

Still have to clean, paint and wire with Edison style bulbs.  

IMG_3636.JPG

Azzoun,

The old saying someone elses junk -

Man you picked a good one. Want to see an after pic. bet it will be a jaw-dropper. :D

donrobinson and mtaylor like this

What a brilliant idea. Just make double sure you attach them to tell ceiling good, As I can imagine having one drop on your head wouldn't tickle. :)

donrobinson and mtaylor like this

John, 

Indeed - I picked these lights up at a consignment shop, but I was in another store in a more affluent area where they were all shined up polished brass, $500 :o.  I walked out saying there's no way I'm paying that for something that was probably originally $50 to install on a ship.  

Scott, 

I agree - to ease your mind - the flanges are measured to 16" apart.  Feel better?  ;)

Thanks for stopping in 

Joshua

mtaylor and donrobinson like this

Joshua,

In my minds eye I can see the grills brass plated and the hardware blackened or grills nickel plated with blackened hardware.

Still want that pic. when you finish

mtaylor, Azzoun and donrobinson like this

I would build a section of decking, stained well and polished, with the fixtures cleaned up and painted or plated, then mounted directly to the deck section. There is not going to be much light because of the heat trap design of the fixtures, bulbs will burn out and the fixtures will become dangerously hot. Maybe LED's would stay cool enough, don't know. Make a good decorator piece, black iron plumbing pieces sure do nothing for me, but it is you that needs to be pleased. Like your thinking and use of salvage, my favorite place to go shopping is a salvage yard.

jud  :pirate41:

mtaylor likes this

Jud,

Interesting point on the fixtures getting hot.  All the glass domes have rubber gaskets that may make sense to remove for ventilation purposes.  I'll definitely keep an eye on that during testing.  As far as the black iron pipe, it's a style feature I'm doing in my house.  My banisters, railings, curtain rods are made from it.  If I were to mount it onto something prior to putting up on the ceiling, it  would mostly only be for ease of installation, otherwise, I'd prefer to have it mounted as if it was coming straight out of the drywall.  

Joshua

donrobinson, jud and mtaylor like this