New member from North Sydney Australia

Firstly a quick intro....I am now "semi retired from the financial services industry and apart from cycling was looking for a hobby where I could use my long lost skills as a model boat builder. I built a number of model boats in my youth...all plastic but always had a wish to try my hand at wooden boats. At the end of last year I took the plunge and bought my first wooden boat kit...."Cadaque" from Artesania Latina. A great way to test my skills and patience. I thoroughly enjoyed building it despite numerous errors and some dodgy fixes...overall though I was hooked. My next model is from Modelers  Central...HM Cutter Mermaid. I am in the throes of completing this model and am already researching my next build. I'll probably go for another Modelers Central model ( Colonial Ketch Mary Byrne or the Colonial Schooner Port Jackson). I hope to post my buildlog when I start my new build and look forward to any assistance from the experts on this great website. 

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

Hey howya goin Fernando Esteban mate, welcome.    :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Hi Fernando,

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Another Welcome from up the M1 :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

And from Pacific NorthWest a Warm Welcome to MSW

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Welcome aboard from just slightly further south :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Welcome welcome ship mate.

You and most of the ships crew won't know me but I've been knocking about silently for thousands of years keeping ships and their crews clean and safe.

Welcome aboard shipmate and don't forget the catnip.

TO THE MEMORY OF TRIM

"The best and most illustrious of his race.
The most affectionate of friends,
faithful of servants,
and best of creatures.
He made the tour of the globe, and a voyage to Australia,
which he circumnavigated,

and was ever the delight and pleasure of his fellow voyagers."

Written by Matthew Flinders RN in memory of his cat

Welcome aboard, Fernando. Sounds like you've already gotten off to a good start!

Best wishes,

Mark Anderson 

Seattle, Washington 

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Current build: Model Expo Glad Tidings, Pinky Schooner

First builds:

Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Midwest Chesapeake Bay Flattie

Well, since I see another person with very few points whom I like to welcome too.

Mark a warm welcome to you too.

And start your build log whenever "you are ready"  :)

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Many thanks all for your welcome posts. Looks like I can count on a few of you for assistance when I start my new build. After careful consideration and seeking wise counsel from my captain (aka my wife!) she has advised that I should go for the Colonial Sloop Norfolk from Modelers Central. I see from some your posts that some of you have already completed this model and after looking at the build logs and the finished photos I am not so sure I can emulate the quality and craftsmanship on show.:( 

As soon as I get my new kit I will start my build log. 

Cheers........Fernando

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

G'day Fernando,

The "Norfolk" turns into a nice little model straight from the box. I kit-bashed mine, but that's just me - I can't help myself :D . Have fun building her.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Welcome Fernando

I've built most of the Modellers Shipyard/Central kits (see my gallery) The instructions are quite good and the accompanying DVD's are great for beginners. However, I think they are overpriced. If your mind is not totally made up, have a look at the Caldercraft range that is available from Miniature Steam Models in Melbourne. I have completed HMS Supply and am currently working on the Bounty. Their Endeavour will be next. They have a couple of 'easier' kits too. All in all good value for money and Miniature Steam Models is great to deal with.

cheers

Steve. 

http://www.miniaturesteammodels.com/jotika-models-nelsons-navy

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Hi Chris

Many thanks for the heads up on the miniature steam models website. I've gone ahead with the purchase of the Norfolk but am keen to try out either the Endeavour or the Bounty next (may convince my kids to get me a kit for my birthday!!) Will you be posting pictures of the Bounty  once completed? Am interested on how she looks.

Cheers........Fernando

Previous Builds - 

Errrr it's Steve not Chris..... but yes I will add Bounty to my Gallery but it probably won't be finished for another 6 - 12 months. I tend to tinker with the basic kits, replacing or modifying kit parts and ropes with ones I make myself. If you haven't built many kits, I would suggest the Suppy or Bounty before attempting the Endeavour ( I have all three) as the Endeavour is a lot more complicated. You will find build logs for her on this site if you want to get an idea. The Supply is a great little kit. I did a fair bit of research and made quite a few modifications to the basic kit. The Bounty is a good kit too, not much harder than the Supply and seems fairly accurate when compared with the AOTS reference book. 

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Hi Chris

Many thanks for the heads up on the miniature steam models website. I've gone ahead with the purchase of the Norfolk but am keen to try out either the Endeavour or the Bounty next (may convince my kids to get me a kit for my birthday!!) Will you be posting pictures of the Bounty  once completed? Am interested on how she looks.

Cheers........Fernando

Oops...apologies Steve. Had Chris on my mind as had just got off the phone speaking to a good mate of mine called Chris.

Previous Builds - 

On June 11, 2017 at 9:12 AM, Nirvana said:

Well, since I see another person with very few points whom I like to welcome too.

Mark a warm welcome to you too.

And start your build log whenever "you are ready"  :)

Thank you, neighbor.  Just working up the nerve to introduce myself. 

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Current build: Model Expo Glad Tidings, Pinky Schooner

First builds:

Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Midwest Chesapeake Bay Flattie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fernando,

Welcome to MSW from another ship builder from the same part of the world.

My build history is similar to yours although I started on the Port Jackson Schooner from Modellers Central, a bit challenging for a first build but it turned out OK. That was close to 10 years ago and a substantially modified kit of the Bounty followed, a 4 year build, and I am currently working on a scratch built HMS Surprise.

This site has been of huge assistance to me and i would strongly suggest you start up a build log and join the crew.

Cheers,

David.

Previous Builds:  Port Jackson Schooner  Modellers Shipyard 1:50

HMS Bounty  Amati 1:60

HMS Surprise Timber Scratch Build 1:75

Current Build:    HMS Bellona Timber Scratch Build 1:75

Hi David, I have just started a build log but was then called away to Hobart for a few days. Am heading back to Sydney later today so am keen to continue my build. I had a chance to go to the Maritime Museum in Hobart....worth the visit as there are dozens of model boats, most donated by locals who either scratch built or from a kit. The Norfolk was one of those scratch built boats. Gave me some ideas when I proceed with my build. Cheers........Fernando

Previous Builds - 

Welcome aboard! From across the island. All the best with your builds. 

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Many thanks for the welcome Scott.

Previous Builds -