Standing rigging

J

There would be several different size lines for the standing rigging. The fore, main and mizzen back stays and fore stays are different as are the shrouds to name a few.  For the model, I would not go crazy, but if you use 3 or perhaps 4 sizes, it will probably be enough to give the impression of different sizes throughout and will look far more realistic than using one size for everything.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

1 minute ago, allanyed said:

J

There would be several different size lines for the standing rigging. The fore, main and mizzen back stays and fore stays are different as are the shrouds to name a few.  For the model, I would not go crazy, but if you use 3 or perhaps 4 sizes, it will probably be enough to give the impression of different sizes throughout and will look far more realistic than using one size for everything.

Allan

Building on the above, the fore and mainstays will be the heaviest ropes, followed by the shrouds and backstays in decreasing order and finally down to ratlines and lanyards.  A golden rule for rigging models is that, if in doubt, make it lighter rather than heavier.

John

Past Builds:
Diorama, Washington & Philadelphia - 1776.  1:144 scale scratch build

Sir Edward Hawke - Schooner, 1776.  1:72 scale scratch build from H Hahn plans

Matthew - 1497.  1:25 scale scratch build from Colin Mudie plans

Mediterranean Cog - 1343.  1:40 scale scratch build from Xavier Pastor plans

Nonsuch - 1650.  1:32 scale Aeropiccola kit

Caustic - gunboat, 1776 . 1:36 scale scratch build

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I have used at least 3 different sizes on my Friesland. 0.5, 1.0 and 3mm. Remember to pull your rigging lines through beeswax or the sorts to stop the ugly fuzzies from showing.  Best of luck.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

My preferred method is to quickly pass a lighter flame under the length of the thread. This way the fuzz is not just hidden or disguised... it's gone!!! 

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

John is spot on regarding the sizes.  For more information, see RC  Anderson's "Seventeenth Century Rigging" - preferred - or "The Rigging of Ships in the Days of the Spritsail Topmast". Anderson is considered the best for this period.  He focuses on British practices but does include references to Dutch, French and Spanish variations.  Since King Adolphus hired Dutch shipwrights to build the Wasa (Vasa), Dutch references are relevant.  

However, the best reference for rigging sizes is James Lees' "The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625-1860.   Even though he focuses on English practice, his tables are relevant to other navies.  (All bets were off when iron and steel cables were introduced.)

So, what are the sizes of the stays in Wasa?  Per Lees, the circumferences are 1/2 the diameter of the lower masts.  The shrouds, fore and main, are 0.6 of the appropriate stay and the mizzen is 0.8, and so on.  For modelling purposes, once I have the main stay size, I then eyeball the other lines.  As one goes up the masts, the lines become smaller.      

I too have used Ulises' burn method but I destroyed a bunch of line (one must keep the line moving).  Instead, I now wax the line per usual and then move it over a 60 watt bulb to melt the wax and burn off the fuzz.  

I visited Wasa 4 years ago and discovered that her shrouds were all brown - not black.   Hope this helps and best regards on your build~!             Duff

Hello Duff. It is not the line what is needed to keep moving, but the flame (lighter, candle, your choice.)

What I do is fix a small clamp on my table. I then clamp the right side of the line there and hold the other end with my left hand, keeping it tense. With my right hand I quickly pass the lighter underneath the tense line. The key word here is "quickly". Fuzz is so thin it burns with the slightest amount of heat. With practice you can eliminate the fuzz in the thinnest threads.

I used to wax the line and then do the burning. The wax melted and sip into the thread, making it impervious to humidity, but later, when handling the thread, the wax started to flake and ruined the thread.

Best regards

Ulises

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I would think you would get an idea of the various rigging sizes from the plans provided in the kit.

I believe from past discussion that newly tarred lines would be a dark brown, but they would get darker with age.  You can use that as a guide...dark brown or brown with a little black added.  I tied that awhile back and just made a muck of it.  Now I just get the dark brown line from Syren Ship Model company (no affiliation...just the same first name).

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

• 10 months later...

There is very little reason to dye your own line these days. A reliable source (Syren) has been suggested and, if you wish to spin up your own line, thread is available in a wide range of colors.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv