My dad is 90 and spends a great deal of time reading these days. I gave him one of the Jack Aubrey series and he loved it so I have been feeding the rest of the series to him. He's got about 4 left in the series. He raves about them a lot - really likes them.

So I'm trying to think ahead. What's next when he's finished the last book?  I'm asking for suggestions for anything similar. A nautical theme preferably a series - the more the better.

Ideas?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I think that C.S.Forrester Horatio Hornblower series is about 13 books. I also think that Dudley Pope' s Ramage series is about 18 books long. They're both basically similar construct to the Aubrey series.    Similar time period etc.   I will have to check when I get home. But they should be easily found on Amazon or whatever bookseller you use.

It's not nautical but the sharps series of books is about the same period but in the British Army. or something a bit lighter...the Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser.

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

Captain Frederick Maryatt's contemporary sea novels, written by an officer who actually served with Lord Cochrane, the real prototype for Jack Aubrey. They have never been out of print: Peter Simple, Mr. Midshipman Easy, Frank Mildmay, The King's Own, Percival Keene, and many others, written in the 1830's.

3 minutes ago, uss frolick said:

Captain Frederick Maryatt's contemporary sea novels, written by an officer who actually served with Lord Cochrane, the real prototype for Jack Aubrey. They have never been out of print: Peter Simple, Mr. Midshipman Easy, Frank Mildmay, The King's Own, Percival Keene, and many others, written in the 1830's.

Best yet as most of these are available for free on Project Gutenberg.

John LeCarre has great appeal if you like O'Brian. He hasn't a nautical bone in his body but in my opinion his stories unfold and his characters participate in the narrative  in a way that an O'Brian fan may appreciate. He's the only author I've read that comes close to the sort of idiosyncratic patchy narrative line and charchter  development that O'Brian uses. Plots that skip around, ensambles of charchters who appear again over the span of multiple novels, personal romantic lives impacting charchters as they are engaged in a world seldom explored in literature. And very very British.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Hey - thanks you guys. I'm looking these up and they appear to be just what I was hoping for. I may have to read them too.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I am thoroughly enjoying the Thomas Kydd series.  I have it on Kindle so can get definitions as there are a lot of archaic words used.  Not absolutely needed though and they have been fun reads from Thomas being pressed on board to making Post Captain on a frigate through the first 8 books or so and quite a few more to go.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciated the suggestions offered here as I also enjoy books of this genera. I have read several of the series suggested, but one that I didn't see was by S. Thomas Russell. He is a contemporary author who is continuing to add to his series. To date he has 4 novels published in the Themis  series, these books are historical fiction about HMS Themis, a Royal Navy frigate, at the time of the French Revolution.

• Under Enemy Colours (2007)
  • A Battle Won (2010)
  • A Ship of War (2012); US title, 2013, Take, Burn or Destroy
  • Until the Sea Shall Give Up Her Dead (2014)

I'll check them out Don - thanks....

One author I like a lot is James L. Nelson. He has a couple of series starting with The Guardship. The action in that book takes place in and around Tidewater Virginia during the colonial period, so a bit different than the English novels. By Force of Arms, the first book in a different series takes place in New England, again during the Revolutionary War period. Light reading, but for me, real page turners.

Cheers -

John

I'll review those John. Thank you.

You know I didn't realize there was so much out there. I'm glad I posted this question.

• 1 month later...

Just to update - I picked up the first volume of several series mentioned here - Kydd and Sharpe for starters. My dad loves them! He's going thru one every 4-5 days and asking for more. Thank goodness for Amazon Prime.

Thanks to everyone for contributing! This was a very helpful thread.

• 1 year later...

Hi, have read all the Alexander Kate and Dudley Pope but much prefer the Richard Woodman's series of books on nautical of the same era.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds: