America 1851 by Kevin Kenny - FINISHED - Constructo

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Kenny your modeling skills and practicum instructions have inspired me to complete my own Constructo Model of the America. Your two models look fantastic. This kit was a first for me, and in hindsight I wasn't prepared for the lack of detailed instruction. My bad. I have learned from your build, and thank you for that. I look forward to learning more.

On a more personal note, my wife and I day sailed the Tobago Keys. The day was perfect.

Thank you.

You are very kind Crimageproxy.php?img=&key=8f45093723bba175icket and I appreciate your comments . That’s the reason I did the videos in the first place so I am pleased that you found them useful . As life would have it I just returned last night from the Tobago keys and Carriacou so I’ll post some memories. Best regards

kevin

682B14F0-185D-4427-A1D1-323BD87ECE18.jpeg

D57B06F4-8145-491F-82BC-6269C9FEAFB2.jpeg

AA35D066-BCF1-483B-954E-6D21606F123D.jpeg

32386182-AA57-48B9-9AC2-ACE83B927534.jpeg

5418A494-620A-410A-BC07-5EA131527E00.jpeg

6F791231-BF4B-498A-BF90-2BC159B4B5EA.jpeg

Edited by Kevin Kenny
Error in words

Kenny, the last non-modell pictures shouldn't be allowed in here …… lol, just kidding.

I guess I am not lonely when I say " I am jealous, of where you are located"

Still waiting for that lottery win, so I can move.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Middle stay sail had been replaced which means all the Sails and rigging are now complete. Just need some tidying up, place the coils of rope, cut off the loose ends, add the flags and anchor chain and we are done. Then to make the display cases.

The model on the left used the cloth sails supplied with the kit while the one on the tight used silkdpan sails. I can see my skill improve as I went along under the guidance of Tom Lauria’s fantastic videos.

78C8DC22-84F2-4CAE-8AD8-858CF363CA41.jpeg

4F528338-12E5-4AA5-A72F-E6865AC834AE.jpeg

1817CA93-2A8F-49BB-81D5-FBECC76C6555.jpeg

484815B2-AC8E-47F7-86C2-16E61946250D.jpeg

8D0FB467-AF0A-41EB-9DF5-75693082CB4E.jpeg

BA1E2EE3-039D-4E03-951D-6AB6805AC593.jpeg

Kevin,  I haven't been around for a long while, but in my research on the America, I ran across an explanation of the Hatch vs the companionway next to the skylight.  I seem to recall that the same frame trim for either one was used to either hold the grating, or it could be changed out by dropping the companionway down over the trim to hold the companionway.  Presumably that meant some sort of attachments so the companionway would stay in place.  

I loved your videos.  

Hi Walter

i would love if you could remember where you got that information from as i plan to write a paper at then end. Even the front curved hatch i have done a bit differently. The drawings i have seen have it as part of a circle but i built it differently as curved hatch tops had a common solution and did not have to be perfectly curved. The curved circle would have been very difficult to access and use. 

Glad you find the videos of use, not very professional but should be instructive. I plan to do one last one when i finish. I may also add the case but am not sure as i have done two different ones on building cases.

beautiful models of the America Kevin,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Kevin,   I'll look and see if I can find the reference.  I should have it somewhere.  I was last active around 2015, and check in here sometimes.  My America is based on the plans of the Blue Jacket 1/4 scale.  I had been working to do a full framed up model.  I got on the boat in 1969 to replace a ripped out cleat on one of the booms due to the winds the night before at the Severn River Repair center across from the Annapolis Naval Academy. The Navy had her then, when I was stationed there.  I have built the Meridea Yawl which was her slip-mate at the time as a scratch-build 34.2" model.  

Kevin, Congrats on finishing the scratch-built boat.  She's a real beauty.

Regarding that forward hatch/companionway:  The bluejacket kit deck plan has a note about it.  It says "While some paintings show a companionway forward of the capstan, others show a hatch.  Quite likely a removable booby hatch -- which appears like a usual companionway -- was fitted over hatch coamings.".    For what it is worth, the bluejacket kit does not show the forward curved hatch at all.   These plans have "Copyright 1983 Arthur C. Montgomery, USA".   I hope this info is useful to you.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry