Greetings, from Seattle Washington

Greetings, All

Checking in to say hello.  I'm semi-retired, like Shaunzy, and I can't wait to start modeling again. The Admiral and I are selling our house of 20 years, so no model-making for me until we get that settled.

Most of my wood modeling has been w/ stick and tissue gliders, but boats and ships were my favorites in plastic.  I grew up around Lk Washington and I spent a lot of time hanging around the marinas, this at time when tugs were pulling logs to mill and mine sweepers were moored nearby.  I've been drawn to working boats ever since.  My choices for first build are the Chesapeake Bay Flattie and the Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. (I followed Popeye's and Greg Spring's builds from each.)  I'd really like to tackle the Corel Sloup, but suspect the planking might be a bit much for a first timer.  Looking forward to connecting w/ you all.  

Best regards,,

Mark Anderson

Seattle, WA 

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Current build: Model Expo Glad Tidings, Pinky Schooner

First builds:

Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Midwest Chesapeake Bay Flattie

:sign:
Mark

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Welcome aboard Mark

With all the rainy days in your neck of the woods, you will likely have more modeling time than most!

Cheers

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Good to have you on board, enjoy yourself and hopefully you will be building soon

Mark,

Now I truly can say :sign:,

I am also part of a modelclub in Seattle, well put it Northern Seattle but still.

We are meeting once a month, I am more than happy to help you connect with our president.

As for the sloup, I don't think you would have any issues with that kit. 

We all beginners is various stages, and no question will be left unanswered.

A song popped into my mind, an old disco song "We are family"

Text has been altered.

We are family
I got all my siblings with me       ( I had to change the text here, from sisters to siblings as we are a group both of women and men)
We are family
Get up everybody and build

We are family
I got all my siblings with me
We are family
Get up everybody and build

Everyone can see we're together
As we build our ships
(And!) and we glue the stick together
I won't tell no lie
(All!) all of the people around us they say
They are building ships

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Welcome aboard Mark. While you are waiting to get into your new shipyard, take a look at the framing and planking guides and tutorials available in the forum (link below). There are some very good You Tube videos in there.  You'll need to decide which method and tools you prefer to bend planks and there are very experienced members here (not me :default_wallbash: ) who will be happy to answer any questions you have. I'm on my 3rd build and don't think the Corel Sloup would be too much for a first timer who's done this homework.

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/forum/14-building-framing-planking-and-plating-a-ships-hull-and-deck/

Welcome from Poulsbo, WA...   would also like to get into contact with the North Seattle club!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes.  What a great group of folks!  

Hey, Dilbert I named dropped the Corel Sloup hoping someone might say it was OK for a beginner. Thanks for that. I'll check out the links. When I'm not doing what I enjoy then I'm often reading about it.  

Dr. Per, I'm quite interested in knowing more about the club. Maturin is too.  Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. 

My tag line going in: Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

and 87% is still pretty good

First builds:

Hey howya goin Mark mate, welcome.    :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to model ship world. Which ever ship you decide to start on is ok. Just two things to remember.. 1 make sure you really like the ship and she will carry you thru. 2. we are here to help.

I'm currently working on my first wooden ship and I'm enjoying it. Yes there will be frustrations, mainly from meanings of terms used in construction. i've learned there is a bit of learning involved (buying and reading books on the subject) but its well worth it. I've done a couple of Comet planes so I see where you're coming from. I think you will find this to be very rewarding (if not frustrating, lol)

Again, welcome

Richard

Current Build - U.S. Syren

2nd Build - HMS Bounty Launch

When organizing your thoughts, never use the Dewey Decimal system.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.  Richard, I appreciate the thoughtful advice. Looking forward to a lot of research, problem solving, and  progress in equal measure 

First builds: