IJN Amatsukaze by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Halinski - 1:200 scale - CARD and Brass - WW2 Japanese Destroyer -

Hey howya goin Danny mate, nice start. How long is she going to be when you finished?    :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Hey howya goin Danny mate, nice start. How long is she going to be when you finished?    :bird-vi:

Thanks Eddie, she's 600mm long.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

The Frames are only 1mm thick, and the horizontal centre brace is 0.5mm thick. That's not a real lot to butt two hull sheets together and glue, so I've glued in extra 1mm card to both sides of them. I've Faired half of the hull frames using 150 grit sandpaper on various shaped sanding sticks :

Fillers and Fairing.JPG

Fillers and Fairing (1).JPG

Fillers and Fairing (2).JPG

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Looking nice. Good idea with adding some width to the forms, Borodino had the same issue butting 2 skins on to 1 mm but I was too lazy to do what you did. 

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Nice Danny,

Anoher IJN build, glad I found it in time, about halfway through right ... strange to hear about a card build with PE, haven't seen that yet. I saw it's not just the "simplicity" of instructions you encounter, but you seem to have parts on "none" sheets too, are those the left out sheets, or just clearly invisible?

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

34 minutes ago, cog said:

you seem to have parts on "none" sheets too, are those the left out sheets, or just clearly invisible?

Thanks John and Slog :) .

Carl, the instructions actually mention that there are no parts with those numbers. It must have been an error when they had the pages printed.

Cheers, Danny

Hi Sam, better late than never :D.

While Fairing the frames I had a little Oopsie (or four ;)) - a bit of a slip with the sanding stick :

Filler Strip (1).JPG

This sort of thing can lead to bigger problems down the track when I skin the hull, as the panel could get "sucked" into the dip when the glue dries and shrinks, leaving a dent. Rather than using some kind of Filler to fix the problem I sanded the whole section down to the thickness of a piece of paper and glued a strip in :

Filler Strip (2).JPG

Filler Strip (3).JPG

Filler Strip (4).JPG

The Fairing is turning out to be the best I've ever done, even better than Vulture's :). It needs to be, as there's no going back once the skins get glued on without some major dramas.

Cheers, Danny

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 0:56 PM, Paul Jarman said:

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:12 AM, Dan Vad said:

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:12 AM, Dan Vad said:

Seriously though, can anyone translate this for me? It's the passage in Polish (without the accents etc) :

Sklejamy kolowrotycz. 47/50, K1 i rozmieszczamy wg rysunków montazowych

This word won't translate either : dalocelownik

Dan,

I am Polish and I may try to help you with the instructions.

It seems to me that there are some misprints in the original instructions, because in the entire Polish language there is no such thing like "kolowrotycz". It looks to me that they are talking about windlasses (plural) = kolowroty, from the singular "kolowrot", and there should be a space afterwards and then an abbreviation "cz." from the word "czesc", or plural "czesci" = meaning "parts".

The entire quoted part of a sentence should therefore read (in English): "we glue the windlasses, parts 47/50, K1 and place them, following the assembly drawings".

A bit weird, but...

English is their second language, after all.   :P

Regards,

Thomas

PS: As far as the word "dalocelownik", I think that they abbreviated two of them into one. The first perhaps should be "dalmierz" = a rangefinder(?) and the second "celownik" = a sight, a viewfinder (?).

If you scan the entire page of the instructions and send it to me, perhaps I would be able to figure it out better.

2 hours ago, Dziadeczek said:

Dan,

I am Polish and I may try to help you with the instructions.

My first wife was Polish, her parents are immigrants who settled in Torrington CT, when I visited there entire sections of the town were Polish. I liked that there was a bar on the corner of about every block, right in the middle of the housing neighborhoods, so no one has to drive ;) 

Arriving at their house was a caricature with like 42 pounds of hot food ready to eat with her mother saying eat! Eat more! Try this! over and over, it's amazing how many pirogi you can eat when the Polish lady who made them is staring at you :)

Another thing I like is that although they haven't had exactly the best experiences in wars, they contribute hugely to the field of military history, completely out of scale of their population. I don't understand that but am extremely appreciative and there are many books by Polish authors and publishers around this house.

12 hours ago, Dziadeczek said:

PS: As far as the word "dalocelownik", I think that they abbreviated two of them into one. The first perhaps should be "dalmierz" = a rangefinder(?) and the second "celownik" = a sight, a viewfinder (?).

Thank you Thomas. I'd already worked out "dalocelonik" :

Using the same idea I broke "dalocelonik" down to "dalo celo nik" which came up with "gave the viewer" (parts 43) - the assembly is a Range-finder :).

Also with "cz." - Google Translate actually came up with "part" when I tried it on it's own. Thanks for "kolowroty " - that one I couldn't get at all :) .

Good story Vossie :) . My late father was actually born in Poland, but his family moved to Germany when he was a boy not long before the start of WW2.

Cheers, Danny

The extra frame supports I put in have come into use already. I've fitted the first two hull skins, and without them I would have had all sorts of problems. The "bumps" opposite the forecastle bulkhead are supposed to be there, as is the odd way the forecastle deck is fitted to the top of the hull. It'll look a lot different when more pieces are installed :

Skin 1 (1).JPGSkin 1 (2).JPGSkin 1 (3).JPGSkin 1 (4).JPG

I'm really happy with the way these went on, it was something I was dreading a bit but these are probably the two hardest ones to fit :) .

Cheers,  Danny

Cheers, Danny

1 hour ago, Dan Vad said:

I'm really happy with the way these went on

And so you should be, you're off to a great start!

cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

super progress Danny.......great fixes on the frame and a good start on the skin! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Wow.... Those bulkheads look like wood!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thanks Slog and Popeye, appreciated :) .

3 hours ago, Elijah said:

Wow.... Those bulkheads look like wood!

Elijah, when I was Fairing them I had to keep reminding myself they were Card so that I didn't sand too much off them :D .

Cheers, Danny

Great progress Dan, she is coming al;ong very well; the careful sanding has sure provided great dividends for you.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thank you Pat.

This is one of the Hawses, a rather tricky piece to get right. It didn't help that the edging piece was 1mm short so I had to glue in a piece of filler. I've glued a spare piece of coloured card to the 2nd one's edge piece in anticipation of the same thing happening. Luckily the kit has several blank pieces of coloured card which can be used for situations like this.

I'll need to be very careful that I shape the outer edge correctly to suit the curvature of the hull sheet, or I may experience the same problem that Slog did with the Mylar insert for one of his Portholes on Borodino which was on a bend. I'll sand and paint the edges in matching grey before fitting :

Hawse (1).JPGHawse.JPGHawse (2).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Thanks again John and Carl.

The hawse skins both fitted up really well. The pieces that overhang at the bow will be trimmed off later. It took me nearly all day to finish the hawses and fit the skins, things should be easier from now on :) :

Skin 2 (1).JPGSkin 2 (2).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Ok, things haven't got any easier yet :D . I've fitted the skins around the bow. These are in four pieces with a join straight down the centre and two small pieces at the top. The centre join is totally invisible, and the port side came out pretty well. The joins look a lot better than the macro lens brings them up ;), the "shadows" that look like dents are actually some water-colour touch-up (I still haven't quite nailed the right formula for the grey, but I'll get it eventually ;) ) :

Bow Skins (1).JPG

However, despite my best efforts, I finished up with a bit of a dog's dinner when I fitted the top piece to the starboard side. Any suggestions on how to fill the gap? I'll probably end up pulling the top piece out again and cut a new one :

Bow Skins (2).JPGBow Skins (3).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Danny is part of the goal to only use the kit materials? Because I've never built anything out of the box, I always replace things, usually many things. I ask as that if I was doing that particular kit I probably would have done the bows with a couple pieces of balsa with some 1/64" plywood over it, and then just paint the whole hull. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, I'm impressed with the engineering of the kit but not how they're printing the colors.

2 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

Danny is part of the goal to only use the kit materials? Because I've never built anything out of the box, I always replace things, usually many things. I ask as that if I was doing that particular kit I probably would have done the bows with a couple pieces of balsa with some 1/64" plywood over it, and then just paint the whole hull. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, I'm impressed with the engineering of the kit but not how they're printing the colors.

Vossie, I'm trying NOT to paint the hull if at all possible apart from the inevitable little touch-ups on the white edges. I'm still using this ship as a Learning Curve before starting Bismarck. I will however be using a substantial amount of PE for Railings, Stairs, Gratings, Radar Antennae etc as I regard that as a legitimate alternative which looks better than paper on those applications, and I'll be doing the same on Bismarck.

The printed colours actually look fine to the naked eye - it's just the extreme close-up of the macro lens that brings up the pattern in it. Even with a 3.5x magnifier you can just barely make it out. They have printed a subtle amount of "weathering" and rust stains which looks quite good :) .

The problem with that upper piece at the bow came from the extra filling I'd used underneath it - I guess I sanded a touch too much off it and didn't pick up on that until I actually glued the piece in and pressed it into place. The Craft Glue I'm using dries very quickly so I couldn't pull the piece back out to fix the problem until it was too late. I've decided to remove the small piece and make a new one. I'd thought of using something like Tamiya Putty to fill it, but I doubt it would do the job to my satisfaction (besides, I don't have any and can't get any until next week :rolleyes:).

Cheers, Danny

Apart from the re-do on the small bow piece I've skinned the upper part of the hull. It all fitted well, apart from ........

Sides Skinned (1).JPGSides Skinned (2).JPG

....... where the sides met the already fitted front skins on both sides :

Short Sides (1).JPGShort Sides (2).JPG

I cut a couple of thin strips of spare card and glued them into the gaps. Pretty good, if I say so myself :D :

Short Sides (3).JPGShort Sides (4).JPG

I had a feeling I was going to have a problem with this. The point of the bow was a bit long and needed trimming back about the same amount as the width of the gaps. If the instructions would have said to skin from the stern to the bow instead of vice-versa this would have been avoided. It was a bit difficult working out exactly where to align the first two skins I fitted, and apparently I got it wrong.

:default_wallbash:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

it's a good fix........as you say,  your gleaning all you can for the big one ;)    

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch