IJN Amatsukaze by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Halinski - WW2 Japanese Destroyer - 1:200 scale - CARD and Brass

Thanks Popeye and John.

I wouldn't be game to touch a card model.

It's just the same as a wooden model John ..... no it's not :D. BTW - I haven't noticed if you are currently building anything. Anything happening?

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

Did you have any luck with the gray touch up paint?.......you mention here that you have the red dialed in.  mak'in some good progress here :) 

I haven't gone back to the gray yet Popeye. I'll finish off all the red first and then have another go at it. I think it needs a bit more white, I added 35% white and a touch of Yellow Ochre to the red and it's very close now :). Close enough for me to be happy with it anyway :D.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Danny,

Abit late though. As the print is made up of paint dots, you could do the same with a small hard brush. Start with the yellow ochre, and finish with the red. There used to be painters which applied this technique (pointillism), which might get you the result you are looking for ... just a thought ... but you know how it is with me, all scrambled up ;)

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

On 29/06/2017 at 8:08 PM, cog said:

Danny,

Abit late though. As the print is made up of paint dots, you could do the same with a small hard brush. Start with the yellow ochre, and finish with the red. There used to be painters which applied this technique (pointillism), which might get you the result you are looking for ... just a thought ... but you know how it is with me, all scrambled up ;)

Cheers

Hah, that's nearly exactly what I did :D, and I also used a Q-tip dipped in Acetone to go over each one when the paint was almost dry. This took a little of the paint off, allowing some of the original to show through, and taking all the shine off it as well.

I've finished the red touch-up, masked the grey (which I haven't touched up yet) and gave the hull two coats of Testor's Dullcote. The difference is extraordinary - you really have to look hard to see any of the touch-ups. The only ones that stand out a little bit are a couple that I'd done with a slightly darker shade of red near the stern. I'm more than happy with the result :).

I've fitted the Bilge Keels. I had to think a bit on a way of holding them in position and came up with the following. There is a thin printed line to follow, so I used some Tamiya tape to make it easier to see as it would have been hidden once the keel went on :

Bilge Keels (3).JPG

Next I shaped a strip of balsa to follow the curvature and taped it to the hull :

Bilge Keels (1).JPG

I taped and clamped the keel to the balsa strip and ran a bead of glue on the edge closest to the centre of the ship so it won't be seen when the ship is the right way up :

Bilge Keels (2).JPG

The finished job. You can see the touch-ups on the gaps (or not :D) :

Bilge Keels (4).JPG

Bilge Keels (5).JPG

Bilge Keels (6).JPG

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

gee.....if you touched up the mating line.......I can't tell ;)    very nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

8 hours ago, cog said:

Which gaps :huh: Looks spiffy. Seems you need to build a jig to attach a bilge keel ... unexpected for a paper model

Carl, you don't need a jig if you have four hands and can sit perfectly still for 10 minutes while the glue sets :D .

Cheers, Danny

Nice job on the filling Danny; the paint match is spot-on.  Those hair clips look familiar :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

10 hours ago, Dan Vad said:

Carl, you don't need a jig if you have four hands and can sit perfectly still for 10 minutes while the glue sets :D .

Does a split personality work too :huh:

Sorry I'll retreat silently in my corner

Carl

I'd decided to get all the under-water bits done before starting on the decks, as they would have been very difficult to do later on.

I started with the Propellor Shafts and Housings. The shafts themselves are rolled around 0.8mm wire, which I left in for extra strength :

Prop Shafts (3).JPG

Next came the Bearing Housings. These are made of three parts. I cut a slight bevel into the adjoining edges so they meet with no (or very little ;)) gap. To get a really strong join I glued a piece of thin paper to the inside and rolled the piece around the appropriate size drill bit. Not only is the join stronger, it also dries a lot quicker too. Masking tape holds it together while it dries. I'll be doing all my tubes in similar fashion wherever possible :

Prop Shafts (5).JPG

Prop Shafts (4).JPG

Prop Shafts (6).JPG

To make the cone on the forward end I sanded a dowel to the correct angle and taped the piece to it. This made handling the tiny piece easier, if not actually possible. Once again there is a piece of paper on the inside of the join :

Prop Shafts (7).JPG

Prop Shafts (10).JPG

On the aft end is a small disc. I punched out the 2mm centre hole with my new "toy" :) :

Prop Shafts (11).JPG

The forward housings took the longest to make as they had to follow the shape of the hull plates in both directions. I cut them slightly over-size and, after gluing together complete with reinforcing strips, sanded them down to match the hull :

Prop Shafts (9).JPG

The completed assemblies. The support legs are at the top of the pic :

Prop Shafts (8).JPG

Cheers, Danny

The Screws (Propellers) looked like being a fun build and they were. Here is the printed piece, it took some really delicate cutting to get the "spikes" bevelled. I used a single-edged razor blade, as it's thinner than a scalpel blade :

Props (2).JPG

I reshaped the cone "stick" I'd used earlier to hold the rolled piece :

Props (1).JPG

Here's the glued-up cone. Anyone who says he can make one of these without any filler or touch-up paint is either a genius or a liar :D :

Props (3).JPG

The end of the cone also has a small disc to align it with the prop shaft :

Props (4).JPG

The blades were pretty straight-forward to cut. I tapered the edges slightly. There are thin printed lines to follow when gluing to the cones :

Props (5).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Very nice clean work Danny.  Your tubes are spot on.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

in card model parlance, the 'spikes' are called 'petals'.

OK, got that Chris - thanks. I guess these ones would be Cactus Petals ? :D

Cheers, Danny

I filled the slight gaps in the prop cones and touched them up with a mix of Yellow Ochre, White and Black. I went over them several times with an almost dry brush to try and get a similar effect to the printing, and got it pretty close :).

Then I fitted the legs to the bearing housings and glued the props to the shafts. I've also made and fitted the Rudder. It has a piece of 1mm wire inserted and drilled into the hull for strength :

Props (6).JPG

Props (7).JPGProps (8).JPG

9 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

Just don't forget to put the propellers on their correct sides

Are they right John? I hope so, otherwise the pics in the instructions are wrong :D.

Cheers, Danny

9 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

Beautifully done, Danny (and on the correct sides :D).  It's easy to get them right - in multi screw ships the propellers should turn outwards-but do your research as in a few notable cases even significant ships were built with inward turning propellers!

John

It would depend on the rotation direction I presume ... that is a standard too for port/starboard?

Carl

Thanks, John, but that is when the port turns counter clockwise and the other side clockwise.  What I meant, is it standard that the shafts turn for the port counter, and starboard clockwise?

Carl

Now that the Props are on (I should really have left them off until last) I needed to protect them from damage, so I made the stand. The supports under the hull are made from card in the shape of "I" beams. The base itself is timber. I tack glued the base to a piece of balsa a little longer than the hull as a temporary building board :

Stand (1).JPG

Stand (3).JPG

I've filled the gap between the upper hull and deck and touched up all the grey. This time the colour was exactly right :) :

Touch-up (1).JPGTouch-up (2).JPG

I've also started the first superstructure - the lower part of the Conning Tower. I'll paint the PE doors tomorrow when I get some IJN Grey Enamel. There is more work to be done on this assembly :

Conning Tower (1).JPG

Conning Tower (2).JPG

Conning Tower.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Hi Danny,

very nice work. Not that I'm an expert but you would never guess this was your first card model. 

Structure looks great, definitely the fun parts. 

Cheers

Slog 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Your quickly becoming a master of the card model Danny; nice work on the stand also.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

some wicked nice progress going on here Danny....the props,  stand,  and the structure look great!  very neat and clean ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Slog, Pat and Popeye :).

Glue doesn't stick very well to the lacquer, so I masked all the areas where parts are still to be fitted and sprayed the rest of the hull with Dullcote. This pic also shows how far the temporary balsa base extends to protect the props and rudder :

Hull Lacquered.JPG

The upper section of the Conning Tower. The base of it is a "D" shape transitioning to a circular top :

Conning Tower (3).JPG

Conning Tower (4).JPG

There are 12 tiny Step Irons on the lower part of the tower and 15 on the upper part. These are made from 0.2mm brass wire. I made a simple jig to fold them all to the right length :

Binoculars (1).JPG

The conning tower features 8 sets of Binoculars on various types of stands. To make these tiny pieces (3mm long) I made another jig which consists of two pieces of tapered 0.5mm wire drilled into a block of wood at an angle :

Binoculars (2).JPG

The first pair finished and mounted to it's base. The base is made by tightly rolling a printed piece of 0.2 mm paper until it gets to the required diameter of 2mm :

Binoculars (4).JPG

Some pics of the conning tower with step irons and binoculars fitted. The steps will be painted IJN Grey later :

Conning Tower (5).JPG

Conning Tower (6).JPG

Cheers, Danny