IJN Amatsukaze by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Halinski - WW2 Japanese Destroyer - 1:200 scale - CARD and Brass

5 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

it must have been a little tough to line up the davits to the deck slots...wasn't it kinda flimsy?

Not really Popeye. I drilled two shallow holes for the short bracing wires at the rear of the davit legs (their positions were marked on the deck), inserted one wire and CA glued it on, inserted the other wire brace and CA glued it as well, then glued down the card davit legs.

As far as "flimsy" goes, the (double thickness) card davits were given a coat of CA along the edges after cutting them out. This wicked a fair way into the legs. They were probably stronger than wood :).

2 hours ago, maaaslo said:

I remember you ,Danny, telling me that it will take you a year to finish her... i knew you will be faster, but this fast?

I surprised myself too Pav :D. Tomorrow will be exactly 3 months since I wrote my first post on this model :). The only time I didn't do much on the model was a couple of weeks ago when I was bed-ridden with the 'flu for a few days.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I was about to start the Rigging when I found that I'd missed fitting a Railing - and it HAD to be in the worst possible place, the aft end of the bridge platform :(. It took me about half an hour to fit, but it turned out better than some of the easy ones (still unpainted when I took the pic) :) :

Missed Railing.JPG

The Rigging Thread I'm using is a fairly thin Elastic one. I wouldn't use this on a wooden model (unless it was in a small scale one) as it has no definition at all. Initial testing came up with some observations :

1. It's extremely strong and flexible. I stretched out a test piece to see how far it would go before breaking - it went to 4x it's relaxed length and still didn't break, so I still don't really know, but that's a lot further than I'll ever have to stretch it. The further you stretch it, the thinner it gets.

2. CA glue is the preferred one - I used a simple overhand knot and a tiny dab of CA. It held without a problem even under 2x tension.

3. Excess line can be cut easily with a PE Side-cutter or sharp scalpel.

4. It's paintable with Acrylic (at the least - that's all I tried) and it won't flake off.

5. It's reasonably easy to manipulate and manoeuvre into a knot, even with tweezers.

6. As it's stretchy it doesn't sag - the main reason I'm using it.

7. All in all I'm quite pleased with it :) :

Rigging Thread.JPG

Rigging (1).JPG

Rigging (2).JPG

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

I remember someone speaking about some kind of similar stretchy rigging line, especially made for rigging steel navy type models, although I thought it was black. If it works as good as all that, I might have to give it a try. Has it got a brand name?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Chris, I think the material you are referring to might be Ezy-line - Greg Lester uses it on his magnificent builds. I believe it comes from the model rail road community.

Edited by gjdale

7 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Has it got a brand name?

I'm not sure Chris. It has nothing on the reel. I bought it from GPM along with all my PE etc. I don't know what the 200mm in the link refers to - I think it was supposed to be 200 METRES. I know there's a LOT of thread on the reel :).

EDIT - thanks Grant. I was searching for the Link as you posted :D.

Cheers, Danny

Ezy-line is used a lot on model airplanes too. Greg used it on his Dreadnought and Yamato builds, both for rigging and railings. His areal on the former really looks magnificent, I just do not know if it extends 4x its size. By the way, it's available in other colours than black too

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

50 minutes ago, cog said:

it's available in other colours than black too

Grey would have been nice - save a lot of painting. It's working OK though :). I think GPM only have it in white/translucent, at least that's what they gave me. Doesn't seem to be a colour option on their site.

Here's a LINK to another site I just found. The same thread is usually also available from BNA Models for Aussie builders, but out of stock at the moment.

Cheers, Danny

The Rigging is all finished, it only took about 3 hours :).

Rigging (6).JPG

Rigging (5).JPG

Rigging (4).JPG

Rigging (3).JPG

The last thing to be fitted is the one I usually try to leave to the end - the Ensign, or whatever the Japanese equivalent is :D. I just noticed that the railing at the stern is bent, good thing I took this pic or I may have missed it :D :

Flag.JPG

And here are a couple of pics of the finished ship. I'll be putting more into the Gallery :

Finished Sep 16 2017 (3).JPG

Finished Sep 16 2017 (4).JPG

Finished Sep 16 2017 (5).JPG

Total time to build was exactly 3 months, about 6 months less than I was expecting it to take :). Next up will be Bismarck, starting tomorrow.

Cheers, Danny

Let me be the 1st to congratulate you on a very nice build.

Well done it looks fantastic, look forward to following the Bismarck.

cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Dan,

A truly wonderful paper build. You expected a pregnancy, but it turned out to be a jiffy ... 

I am so looking forward to the Bismarck build ... a year this time, which you will do in 4 months ... ;)

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Dan. Remarkably good looking finished model.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Great work Danny, and as always, instructional too. Looking forward to following your Bismarck build.

So, a little easier than Vulture (but not much) ;):)  Nice work Danny.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Dan, a great quality build. Have picked up some ideas for my Norfolk build and am looking forward to your Bismarck build log. Have already booked my front row seat!

Cheers...........Fernando 

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

Well done, Danny. Excellent work and many nice tutorials. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to your Bismarck build.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

looks fantastic Danny!  congratz on another stellar build! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Bakendrid, you are a bout a month too late with any tips. our dear Dan Vadas have passed away after a long fight with illness

And for me was a great shock that Martanek41 have passed away too...

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

On 6/21/2020 at 2:40 PM, ccoyle said:

Aw, man ... 😥.

i thought the same. and  great disappointment we will never see his huge project finished... that fleet would be mighty. and Tirpitz in scale 1/100... this year sucks...

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...