IJN Amatsukaze by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Halinski - 1:200 scale - CARD and Brass - WW2 Japanese Destroyer -

Hi all,

I was expecting to get my Card Kit of the Japanese Destroyer IJN (Imperial Japanese Navy) Amatsukaze any day, so I thought it might be a good idea to tidy up my workbench :

Workbench.JPG

I finished the job, made myself a cuppa, and sat down in front of the tellie to watch an afternoon of V8 Supercars when ..... there was a knock on the door. UNBELIEVABLE :D - the Kit arrived, not 5 minutes after I'd finished the cleanup. Here's a shot of the cover and the laser-cut frames :

The Kit.JPG

Work will commence in the next Ad break :D.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

First in, best dressed!  Front row seat.

This is going to be good!

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

2 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

This is going to be good!

I hope you're right :D.

One question - does the laser cutting of the frames affect the adhesion of PVA when fitting the hull skins? I guess it'll be OK, but if it needs a light sand I'm up for it :) .

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Hi Danny,

No it doesn't.  I just use a single edge razor to cut the little tabs to free the part and then just a quick rub with a little sanding block to clean off the nib that's left; no need to sand the rest of it.

Cheers

Slog

Edit: Just noticed your are talking about the skins to forms!  A lot of the laser marks will come off during fairing but any left behind will still be fine without sanding.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Ken :) .

57 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

A lot of the laser marks will come off during fairing but any left behind will still be fine without sanding.

What laser marks :D ? Brilliant laser cutting - no char whatsoever :) .

57 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

I just use a single edge razor to cut the little tabs to free the part and then just a quick rub with a little sanding block to clean off the nib that's left; no need to sand the rest of it.

Apart from using a scalpel instead of a razor blade, that's exactly what I did too.

Ya gotta love laser-cut frames - how long would it have taken to get this far if I had to laminate and cut heavy card? And it's as straight as a gun barrel :) .

Hull Frames (1).JPG

Hull Frames (2).JPG

Hull Frames (3).JPG

Hull Frames (4).JPG

Hull Frames (5).JPG

Cheers, Danny

15 minutes ago, amateur said:

I guess this won't be a straightforward out-of-the booklet-building

You got that right Jan - there's a pack of PE on it's way to me as well ;):D .

Welcome to the show Grant, Jack and Chris :) .

Cheers, Danny

you didn't waste any time.....terrific start!  looking forward in following along with this one ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for dropping in Popeye and Paul.

I've spent all day attempting to translate the Polish instructions into workable English. Without a great deal of success, but it'll have to do. Google Translate came up with some real doozies on my 1st attempt, and there are still a few very weird passages. Here's one example :

We glue the cockroach. 47/50, K1 and arranged according to the mounting drawings

I couldn't find a cockroach anywhere in the book. I might have to ask Halinski to send a replacement :D.

Seriously though, can anyone translate this for me? It's the passage in Polish (without the accents etc) :

Sklejamy kolowrotycz. 47/50, K1 i rozmieszczamy wg rysunków montazowych

This word won't translate either : dalocelownik

Cheers, Danny

Spyglass has hit upon something there, translator seems to work a little better if you take the words apart into syllables and try different combinations - until a native speaker comes along to clear it up, anyway - use that with the pictures of the items, and the placement - back to work Danny!  Nothing better than to watch someone else work, especially when it turns out like yours does!  Steve M 

Thanks for the comments guys.

I used Spyglass's idea of splitting the "cockroach" one step further. I'd already established that "cz." means "part" and "Sklejamy" is "We glue" - the Polish destructions are full of those words - so I tried "Sklejamy kolo wroty cz." and came up with "We glue the faces" (of 47/50 ) which DOES make more sense than "We glue the cockroaches" :D.

Using the same idea I broke "dalocelonik" down to "dalo celo nik" which came up with "gave the viewer" (parts 43) - the assembly is a Range-finder :).

And I thought that getting into Card Modelling was just all about how to handle thin paper and roll tiny tubes from it :D . Isn't learning Polish fun :rolleyes::D.

Cheers, Danny

Welcome Greg :) .

There's one thing I've found already that Papershipwright has all over Halinski (apart from the Instructions language of course) - PSW give you two pages of "Parts Identification" for the relatively few parts in the model. This lists the Part Number, a Description of what it actually is in most cases, and WHICH SHEET TO FIND IT ON. It can be very time-consuming finding that one tiny piece of a sub-assembly wading through the 8 sheets of printed Amatsukaze parts. It seems a lot of these assemblies have parts on different sheets :huh:.

Cheers, Danny

my Thermopylae is in Italian........I'm glad that I have some knowledge of clipper ships or I'd be sunk ;)   I'm sure someone here will chime in Danny......it takes time for word to get around ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Danny, I'm having the same issue with my current Halinski build as well. Thankfully, it's only four pages of parts. I understand the need to shuffle parts around to economize on paper, but it really does seem like at least some of the smaller parts have plenty of room to be placed in a more logical spatial order.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

6 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Danny, I'm having the same issue with my current Halinski build as well. Thankfully, it's only four pages of parts. I understand the need to shuffle parts around to economize on paper, but it really does seem like at least some of the smaller parts have plenty of room to be placed in a more logical spatial order.

Yeah, I get the bit about economy :rolleyes:.

Anyway, I've fixed the problem - I went through all 9 pages of parts and typed all the part numbers on each sheet into a single column in a Spreadsheet, entering the sheet number in the 2nd column. Then I did a Data-Sort on the part numbers column, split the columns into a Printable Page format and "Bob's your uncle" :D . I keep each Parts Sheet in a separate sleeve in a clear Display Folder and return the sheet to the sleeve after I cut out the parts I need (at least that's the theory for now ;):D ).

IMG_3651.JPG

Cheers, Danny

2 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

Looks like the card building cockroach has really bitten you, Danny!

Thanks John, yeah it seems that way - at least for a while :D.

2 hours ago, CDW said:

A question about these card models...when you buy a card model with laser cut frames, are the frames all that same grade of heavy card stock, or is that specific to the company who sells the model? 

There are two sheets of laser cut frames, a deck section and other assorted pieces. One sheet is 1.0mm thick mostly for the frames. It's not of the quality of the printed sheets, but it doesn't have to be. The other is 0.6mm thick and is actually of a BETTER quality than the printed ones - it seems more "dense" and has a glossy surface. The printed sheets are matte, as they should be. 6 of them are 0.25mm thick, the other which contains mostly elements that need rolling into tubes is fairly thin, about the same as normal 80gsm paper.

I can't speak for other Card Kits, this is the 1st one I've actually bought. Cerberus was printed out by a local Photocopy shop from a free Download, and the quality wasn't as good as this kit mainly due to the choice of paper and probably the Setup of the Printer.

Cheers, Danny

Just to add to Danny's info, the 3 or 4 sets I've seen are all 1mm for the internal structures and if the kit supplies things like struts and braces etc would be 0.5 / 0.6 mm as Danny described. It will interesting to see Danny's Bismarck as if I remember correctly it was slightly thicker and if you didn't have the form set you had to glue the templates to 2 mm card. 

Cheers 

Slog

Boy, i go to the footy and find you have built a hull skeleton - slow down for the rest of is mortals Danny, I am out of breath keeping up :)

Great start, and now that you have the parts sorted there will be no holding you back - looking forward to this one.

BTW, if you need further help with the language give me a PM, i know someone whom may be able to assist you.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Slog and Pat. I think I've got the main part of the destructions sorted :) .

I've fitted the two decks. Everything lined up perfectly. The dip in the forecastle is supposed to be there :) :

Decks (1).JPG

Decks (2).JPG

Cheers, Danny