Hello from the Colonies ... Ontario, Canada

Hello Everyone

I'm a scratchbuilder, retired and living in southern Ontario, Canada.    I scratch models of mostly racing cars from my youth (think Fangio), a steam locomotive and several half hulls of modern sailing vessels owned by myself and friends.   The most challenging model after the steam engine was a full-hulled model of a life-long friend's own Trojan 36 sport fisherman.    This was completed from my own home made plans and from taking literally hundreds of photographs aboard the boat.    I don't know if modern vessels have much interest here as I see mostly ships of a historic nature.

Anyway, I have a goodly number of photos of the build (which I made into a nice book for my friend) and of the completed model and I'd be happy to share them if they are considered appropriate.

Cheers

Frank Smart

DSC09580.JPG

Finished Builds: Half Hulls of Alberg 37, Thunderbird 26, Contessa 26, Beneteau 51 Idylle

:  Billings Dragon kit Revisited

:  Trojan 36 Sport Fishing boat

:722972270:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Hey howya goin Frank mate, welcome.    :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Hello Frank.

it looks like a fine model. I'm sure you will find most members have a broad interest in anything that floats or sinks. You should post your pictures.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Thanks for the welcome gentlemen.    I'll put up some more pics of the finished boat soon.   Actually, I'm not clear on where to do that as there seems to be only "build logs" for scratchbuilds.  I suppose I could just do a few on the build and let it run into the finished model unless someone has better ideas??

Keith ... thanks ... I've previously had a look through your J Class build as  I've always been fascinated by them and their marvellous lines ... works of art in their own right and you've done a terrific job on yours.   Someday ... if there's time!!   I'm part way through Altair and seriously impressed with you attention to detail (something I'm lacking).   

Frank

Finished Builds: Half Hulls of Alberg 37, Thunderbird 26, Contessa 26, Beneteau 51 Idylle

Frank,

I'm with the others... a build log would work well in the scratch area.   Hope we'll see it soon.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW from a neighbour. 

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

14 minutes ago, Worldway said:

Welcome to MSW from a neighbour. 

Hi Derek

Thanks for the welcome.  It truly is an international group we have here!

I'll  see you around the forum.

Frank

On 18.6.2017 at 9:09 PM, albergman said:

Hello Everyone

I'm a scratchbuilder, retired and living in southern Ontario, Canada.    I scratch models of mostly racing cars from my youth (think Fangio), a steam locomotive and several half hulls of modern sailing vessels owned by myself and friends.   The most challenging model after the steam engine was a full-hulled model of a life-long friend's own Trojan 36 sport fisherman.    This was completed from my own home made plans and from taking literally hundreds of photographs aboard the boat.    I don't know if modern vessels have much interest here as I see mostly ships of a historic nature.

Anyway, I have a goodly number of photos of the build (which I made into a nice book for my friend) and of the completed model and I'd be happy to share them if they are considered appropriate.

Cheers

Frank Smart

DSC09580.JPG

Welcome Frank,

its very nice to see a new scratch builder here, enjoy your stay and have fun...

Is your lovely cabin cruiser modeled after an actual boat ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

10 minutes ago, Mirabell61 said:

Welcome Frank,

its very nice to see a new scratch builder here, enjoy your stay and have fun...

Is your lovely cabin cruiser modeled after an actual boat ?

Nils

Hello Nils

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, the boat belongs to my dearest friend (for 65 years now) who just loves and cares for this boat.    He's always had fast power boats and I've always sailed.

Frank

Frank,

Great to have you on the forum!  I am head over heels with your Trojan build!   It is fantastic!  The little information you gave in your gallery page only wet my appetite to learn more about how you used composite decking and welders mask glass and etc.  Did you use any drawings? 

Stan

39 minutes ago, VACorsair said:

Frank,

Great to have you on the forum!  I am head over heels with your Trojan build!   It is fantastic!  The little information you gave in your gallery page only wet my appetite to learn more about how you used composite decking and welders mask glass and etc.  Did you use any drawings? 

Stan

Hi Stan

Wow, another fan!!   I did put a short build up in the "build log" area.   HERE

I thought if anyone was interested enough I could tell more of the story.   Building something like this (well, the way I do it ;) )  things are pretty crude under the skin if you know what I mean.    Some may find that off putting.    I tend to use whatever does the job.

As for drawings ... there were NONE available.   I scoured the inter-web and found enough images and a video that gave me views at a long enough distance  for reasonably accurate dimensions.   Captured selected images, enlarged to the size I wanted, converted the images to "line drawings" and printed them.    Below is what I made up from images.    I had access to the real boat of course (belongs to my best friend) and I took maybe 1,000 images and videos!!

594ac038b24ba_4viewstoscale.thumb.jpg.ef5fd2328a721c64e1d28592938b678d.jpg

If you want to explore this further maybe we could start expanding that build log.

Thanks for your interest.   I appreciate it.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Frank,

I love the way you used material, and pieces that you had on hand.  Methods and processes that you wouldn't find in a model building handbook.   All from you own eyes and brain.   Computer heat sinks!   That type of building to me is gift that not everyone has.   It's a type of genius in my book.   Great stuff Frank!  :cheers:

Stan

5 hours ago, Blighty said:

Welcome Frank, from sunny Windsor Ont.

3 hours ago, VACorsair said:

Frank,

I love the way you used material, and pieces that you had on hand.  Methods and processes that you wouldn't find in a model building handbook.   All from you own eyes and brain.   Computer heat sinks!   That type of building to me is gift that not everyone has.   It's a type of genius in my book.   Great stuff Frank!  :cheers:

Stan

Thanks for the kind words gents ... and all others who have clicked the "Like" button.  

I have to say I've looked at so many amazing builds on this site and believe me there are scratch builders here who are far more talented and that's not false modesty.    Anyway, I just build for myself and usually give everything away ... I presently have 5 models out of 25 I've made.    If you're interested you can see a couple of different things here and here.

Cheers

Frank