PBR Mark 1 River Patrol Boat by Thistle17 - Model Shipwright Guild WNY - Scale 1:6

• 3 months later...

Progress on the PBR hull in just the last day. Out of the basement it came on a very arrid, warm day and we managed to get nearly a full coat of primer on the topsides, insides and some of the hull area at the rail. Not surprisingly voids or "holidays" as the painters trade calls them popped. These were filled with Nitro Stan glazing compound and will be wet sanded and primed once again when the hull is dry.

This hull has been in the basement since early days of the Covid lock down and it is time for it to go back to the museum for further outfit. I will be so happy!!!!

Note that this primer is amazingly tinted like the top coat so it should be less of a problem for us to finish caot.

Joe

pbr.prime.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Your team's hard work is greatly appreciated in documenting the history of the PBR MK.1 and the heroic sailors who manned them.  If it would be of any use to you, below is a link to a 1/35 scale resin kit manufactured by Masterpiece Models.  I believe their work is very well researched.  They produce several kits of Brown Water Navy boats including a Mk.1 PBR, a PCF Swift Boat, Monitors, ASPB, and a PACV Hovercraft.  The PBR pdf. instruction file has many images of the boat details, including the Mk.17 forward gun mount.  I hope you can find their website informative and interesting..  Again, many thanks to all of you for dedicating so much time and effort to the 1/6 scale PBR Mk.1 project. 

Best regards, 

Pete Bruno 

https://masterpiecemodels.com/product/31-patrol-boat-river/

Also on Facebook - Masterpiece Models

Well a very grateful thank you for sharing this trove of info. As we are nearing the detailing stage of the model this should prove invaluable. We usually do try to do continued research on this project because of it's storied past and the interesting way ( not withstanding its confounding and progressive disclosures) it was buil and modified during service but of late it has been an off/on order of build/

Joe

Edited by Thistle17

As indicated to Pete we are pushing to get the model back to the museum prior to winter with the top sides painted. An impediment to that goal has been the refinement of the hull et al surfaces. Between weather extremes of hot, humid to dry cool some seams have opened up under prime. This is not a surprise as it is a wood model after all. And because of its size these voids just scream out at us.

I have been searching for a suitable glaze or filler for these voids that was easy to work with. This has been an ongoing search. Well 2 weeks ago I stumbled on a product. The one shown is easy to apply, can be damp finger controlled in spread, dries hard in a day or so, fills small voids and cleans up with water on hands and applicators. And almost as importantly it does not seem to dry up in the tube like my other tube wood fillers. The one last test is compatibility with primer and paint. It is even a grey color!

Joe

filler.JPG

Edited by Thistle17

• 1 month later...

After nearly two years in my basement and garage the hull for the PBR has gone back to the museum for final detailing. It is a mixed milepost. The venturi or cowling in the helm area was installed and glassed in for a finished look. The whole area was primed and painted. Unfortunately we used spray cans of the paint, a flat enamal. Unfortunately the spray pattern was too narrow and it was almost impossible to get a full wet coat. Quite disappointing after all the work we put into the glassing , glazing and fairing of the hull. A quick stop on the way back to the museum at an auto body shop for a quote was disappointing. The owner quoted an $800 charge!!!!!! Looks like we are going to break out some home gear to have a go at a final wet sand and repaint.

Very few deck appointments need to be completed. All cleats, armor shields, canopy frames, masts, helm, radios, scope and of course the forward gun tub and aft gun are ready to install. We just have to get past this hull paint situation. Who knew this journey would be so troubled.

Joe

Edited by Thistle17

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the model has been moved back to the museum it is receiving the attention it deserves. The director of the museum supported the effort by purchasing an airless paint gun with adjustable nozzle patterns. Since the hull had more than enough time to cure the oil thinner" based paint it was decided to spray the hull with latex. I must say it was a hugh improvement over the earlier attempt. Chuck, the director was able to keep a wet coat and as noted the results were quite pleasing.

After months, no years, of a bare hull we could not resist dry fitting some of the major components to give ourselves a boost to "bring the project home". Shown in the accompanying photos we temporarily placed the pilot console and the armament sheilds in the helm area. And of course we had to witness the forward gun tub resting in the hull. Also note the venturi is now in place and some of the helm area braces (not shown) have been added. It is amazing how even the little things contribute to the character of the project.

Standby as we will be installing signal and radar masts, attennas, aft gun platform, canopy framing and all the other previously mentioned elements.

Joe

DSC_0323.JPG

DSC_0326.JPG

Edited by Thistle17

• 2 months later...

Just a brief update on our trek to completion of this waterline model. Amongst many elements of detail to be added to the model this is one of the final ones. The radar dome is 5.5 inches in diameter and3 inches tall. It was turned on a large lathe as it was too big for my Sherline. Even though it was hollowed out of basswood save for a hub it still weighs about 0.7 pounds. It will be the last thing mounted given its properties.

In the catergory of "I should have known better". The basswood was in my basement shop trove for some 10 years at a humidity level of around 50%. The completed dome was brought to the musuem workshop and over 2 weeks shrunk given the quite low RH there. The banding around the base was wrapped and glued 0.20 AYC (cedar). The effect as you might expect was a warped band. The only practical solution was to wrap the lower base in an automotive tape and paint over the entire assembly. It now sits in a sealed plastic bag awaiting final install. Here's hoping!

Joe

P1010464.JPG

Getting ever closer to a completed model. The following are back room shots at the museum.

At this point most all effort is install of final elements and touch up. The bow shot shows the gun tub in its final home with surrounding detail of antenna, hoist rings, cleats and the like. Signal lights remain to be added.

Excuse my out of focus shot of the aft view. It does however show the final install of all armor plate, rear 50 caliber, cleats and a birds eye view of the helm station. Life preserver and boat hook await install.

The radar dome will be the last install as we await the erection of the canopy frames which is very delicate work.

We will be presenting the wrap up at our January 19th meeting which will be streamed. If anyone is interested in attending please message me as we would be honored with your attendance.

Joe

P1010471.JPG

P1010474.JPG

Edited by Thistle17

Today was a banner day for the Mark I River Patrol Boat. All the detail and touch was completed save the mounts for the starboard and port guns. This is an easy addition and was taken off line to complete. Note that the canpoy framing has been added. So too with the radar dome, the mast beacon, the rear 50 caliber, boat hook and bilge hand pump.

The photos were taken in a hallway as we had to find a suitable backdrop outside the workshop. Doing so does give one the impression it is a small model. I remind all that it is over 5 feet long.

A build out discussion will be presented to the group on 1/19 at &PM. It will be streamed so interested parties can message me prior to tune in.

Joe

P1010485 (2).JPG

P1010483 (2).JPG

P1010488 (2).JPG

P1010491 (2).JPG

P1010490.JPG