I'm having a problem understanding a section of a plan for a 1830 topsail schooner. There appears to be an anomaly surrounding the hawse hole for the anchors. From the attachecopy you can see that there appears to be a hole well forward to allow the anchor cable to be pulled aboard but it is situated below the deck level. From above there doesn't appear to be any way for the cable to be fed round the windlass but at the same time it appears that there is (possibly) a hole in the deck alongside the fore mast which I would guess as being for the cable to be fed down to the rope locker. Can anyone clarify these points please.

Hawse.jpg.f89edf1e15d060c0a3bee8cbcecaccf4.jpg

Vessel is an 1830 topsail schooner built in Hobart. Profiles as attached.

There are no original plans of the schooner but this plan was drawn up by Karl Heinz Marquardt based on drawings of the Topsail Schooner Enterprize and ship building practices common at that time.

Length over deck 53', beam 18' 4", draft 10' 

Deck_hull_1_48.1.thumb.jpg.0d9a5f8e3dee21420174fdc9fe7635f8.jpg

Hope this helps.

I am not saying this is the case for your schooner, but on my Trabaccolo the hawse hole is also situated below deck level according to the plans. I moved mine higher to be above deck level, however, after some research I found that the hole was located properly on the plans but drilled at an extreme angle to go though the  deck then (in real life) lined with a lead pipe to help drain any water. Raising the position will be much easier and also save putting another hole in the deck

IMG_2162.thumb.jpg.085f11d6831a3d27adcebf3ea54fd76c.jpg594bd8e6ed215_IMG_21631.thumb.jpg.dae1ff727df6b1250d7f723cf2cd89a6.jpg

Here is a picture of my plans showing the bow. The hole marked 38 is showing the location of the incoming hole in the deck from the hawse hole(joined with a pipe), the other two holes are on the backside of the windlass(not shown) for the ropes to be fed into storage space below. Port side of plan is showing other details that hide the hole location in this overhead view. Your plan does not show these two extra holes but it may have just been an oversight. I have edited and added a second photo of my plans. The hawse hole(42.4) is located below the wale which is at deck level, in my case I moved the decoration over and drilled the hole above the wale. How the plan shows it is correct and would be correct in real life but in scale feeding the anchor rope from the outside then through the deck would be very difficult, I took the easy route;).

Just a thought.

I had this on my Lieda pleasure yacht build.

The second picture you have of an apparent hole to below deck looks correct. My plans show the exact same.

The anchor ropes come in the hawse holes, wraps around the windlass once mayby twice, And then head below deck through that hole next the the mast.

I agree with Don about the hawse hole looking too low but the steep angle sounds good.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Thanks for the additional info. It appears that the hawseholes lead at a fairly steep angle up and inboard to emerge at deck level. Of course, we have no idea how accurate the reconstructional drawings are.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Based on my reading of the plan pictures, the hawse hole sits quite squarely above the upper deck, sitting between the upper and lower cheeks.  Looking at the first posted side profile where the cheeks would be (even though they are not shown) these does seem to reconcile to be being above (just) the upper deck level.  The hole in the deck seems to then be logically placed to allow the hawse to be fed below after the windlass.

The second side profile shows the cheeks and upper or hair bracket lower than I would have expected (the upper cheek is located where I would have thought the lower cheek would be) - that looks odd to me and seems to cause the discrepancy, but of course I am certainly not an expert.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I agree with Don Robinson - a steep pipe, probably through the water way.  The feature  you show on the deck is aft of the windlass, which certainly won't work.

I know the replica of the Nonsuch has a windlass, so I tried to find a photo.  The best I found was at https://photo-bytes.com/308-down-below.  Unfortunately, the entrance of the hawser on deck is not shown.  There is also a picture below-decks in the fo'c's'le, but no evidence of a pipe.   Keep in mind that the Nonsuch was almost 200 years earlier than your ship.

Bruce

Stay Sharp - Stay Safe

Judgement comes from experience:  experience comes from poor judgement.

• USS Constitution: Scratch build solid hull 1:96 scale