Hello from Montreal

Edd

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks for accepting me into this community.

my name is Ed, I live in Montreal, I  recently came back from my original country with a gift from my uncle, an HMS Victory he built out of a Corel model (1:98).

The model is about 15 years old and my uncle didn't have the patience anymore to maintain it so it was collecting dust and I guess rust. 

I had to face many challenges to transport it, one of them involved cutting off  the masts (yes I know this is like sacrilege but I didn't have to many options, sorry sorry sorry, 1000 times sorry) and now I'm facing the task to restore it. 

I know  I will be facing many challenges trying to accomplish this task, one of them is the immense lack of knowledge in trying to tackle this incredibly difficult model. But hey, my uncle gave it to me so I could at least try, he's 90 and he told me, you take it or I'll throw it to the garbage, nobody else would try to do anything with it anyway. 

And, that's my history, my work is all computer related so this is super out of my comfort zone. 

I saw how this model was built, since he bought it and then how he built it stage by stage, so I know how it looked when it was "young". He gave the plans, some tools and spare parts: 

I will appreciate all the help you can provide, and from my part I will try to contribute from my humbleness as a newbie in this hobby. 

Here I show some picturesIMG_2262.thumb.JPG.04903015931de671041b0a52de2ca6fc.JPGIMG_2263.thumb.JPG.35fd3ff14eeea9211c613de32888f721.JPG

IMG_2265.thumb.JPG.99b97e7e394ba725717af48c171216cb.JPG

Welcome to MSW, Edd.   Do a search on the keyword "Restore" and one on "Restoration" and I think you'll see several others that are either done or in work along with the advice offered.  Also, open your own log as it will be the best way to get help when you need it and also let us look over your shoulder.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome Edd.

This is a great site for resources and support.  It looks like you have a wonderful model that needs some TLC.  You will get help from the folks here.

I hope it is alright to post another resource on here.  Pete Coleman has a forum for Victory builds.  http://pete-coleman.com/forum/

Jeff

Current Build:       Model Shipways MS2015 - Fair American Kit bash

Previous Build:     J-Class Endeavor

Hello Edd, a very warm welcome to MSW.  What a lovely model - and how complex! All the very best - if you take a look at my restoration project (Blog) on a 3 master square rigged ocean carrier you may get some encouragement from seeing my starting point which was a right old bird's nest of 100 year old rigging.  I am 79 and expect to sail this ship later this year!

I look forward to seeing your progress on a blog here I hope.  

Paul

Welcome, Ed. You have a very large task ahead of you, and I wish you the very best of luck with it. Having a personal connection with it will definitely help as a motivating factor. Have plenty of patience! Be sure to start a build log (see instructions here); when you get to the purple words part, use the word RESTORATION in your title. We have several members who are experts in this aspect of the hobby.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Hey howya goin Ed mate, welcome.     :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Hello!

Thanks for your welcome, support and advice. I will create a log of the restoration, these days Baby Edd has demanded too much time so I've invested my spare time in working on the ship. I've read ikkypaul's log and I was very interested in knowing how did you manage to remove the old masts, it's another one of my challenges, beautiful ship the one you restored.

I've read the warnings as well, so, since I don't want the project to get out of control, I'll focus on Hull Aesthetics first, I can achieve quick wins to increase self confidence in this goal I pursue. 

As a quick update, before opening the log, I've dusted it twice with baby ( I have literally thousands of them right now), cleaned the rigging remains and taken  taken apart the dummy gun barrels to remove the greenish and old paint. these dummy guns now look fantastic because I re-painted them.

Now I'm trying to figure it out how to remove the greenish from the gun ports without destroying the ship in the process, I've tried many approaches, today I put vinegar in a cotton taped to the hull with masking tape, I'm beta-testing this approach with 1 gun port, alpha-testing was satisfactory with me holding the cotton for a couple of minutes,  any quick advice will be appreciated. 

I'm also covering in plastic all the sections I cannot work on right now, dusting was becoming a never ending history. 

Thanks again everybody!,

Edd