LA NINA By Jerry - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:65

Good morning Lawrence,

I appreciate your visit to my log and the nice comments you have made.  Yes, the build has moved along quickly and I wouldn't be surprised to finish it in the next week or two.  We are going out of town next week so that may slow me up a bit.  Next ship????  Not sure about a "next ship" as I had to struggle with this build because of my sight problem.  In any event it's always so good to hear from you and Bernadette and I hope to hear from you again soon.

Best,

Jerry

Good afternoon Everybody..

So we had a great 4th of July.  As we have done in the past, we spent July 4th afternoon and evening at our in-laws who are very lucky and own a condo right on the beach of the Gulf of mexico here in Florida.  We sat on their balcony and watched thousands of firecracker bursts with much awe.  It seems that the displays get bigger and better each year.  This year for the first time, we saw several floating lanterns get launched from the shoreline and then soar high over the water until the flame went out and the lantern fell to the water.  It was a delightful day and evening as we wished America a very Happy Birthday.

There has also been a little more progress with La Nina.  We have mounted the mizzen (second) sail and boom and we have begun the final rigging.  It looks like this model will be finished pretty soon. We will be out of town for most of next week so no work will be done until later in the month.  Here are some pictures of our latest progress with more to follow later.  I hope all is well with everyone.

Best,

Jerry

7-2-2017 Mainmast Yard guys attached to peak.jpg

7-2-2017 Broad end of Mainmast Yard tackle completed.jpg

7-2-2017 Guys attacched to stern cleats.jpg

7-6-2017 Mizzen lateen and sail rigged to mast.jpg

7-6-2017 Ready to rig the mizzen sail.jpg

7-6-2017 Sheets and lateen toe lines tied down.jpg

7-6-2017 Ship with both lateen booms in place.jpg

La Nina looks super Jerry........the sails really add to her beauty :)   very well done !

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Good afternoon Len...

It has been my pleasure to share the building of this kit.  It makes a sweet little model to be displayed almost any place in one's home.  Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my log  and to say the nice things you have.  I wish you a very happy day and hope to hear from you again.

Best,
Jerry

Good evening...

La Nina is now ready for some coils, flags , pennants and some touching up..

Hope to complete that by the end of this week.

Best,

Jerry

7-6-2017 Rigging completed.jpg

7-6-2017 Looking  across the starboard bow.jpg

7-6-2017 Aview from the stern.jpg

7-6-2017  So all we need are coils, pennants and some touchups.jpg

Jerry,

Very nice indeed. Just happened to see your update. Excellent work.

PS: SO hard to believe that men actually crossed the Atlantic in that tiny little boat AND also thought that they might go off of the edge of the world.

Excellent build.

Regards,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Stunning job. Yes it would be hard to find people to do it now days.  Very well presented.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Hello Michael..

As I look over La Nina I, too, am amazed that there were people who decided to go to sea in this "little" boat.  I imagine that was one reason that Columbus formed a trio of ships, La Pinta, la Nina and La Santa Maria to make the voyage together affording safety in numbers.  Who knows?  Thanks for your visit to my log and for your thoughts on the build. 

Best,

Jerry

Hello Scott.

It was very nice of you to visit  this log of the building of La Nina.  I sincerely appreciate the time you took to say hello and comment on this build.  Looks like you have spent many hours building ship models so I'm positive you have had many hours of pleasure doing so.  Thanks again for your  look-see.

Best,

Jerry

Hello Mustafa,

Many thanks for your visit to my log.  I hate to admit it but the barrels and buckets were supplied in the kit.  The handles for the buckets were fashioned from wire that was in the kit.  Please let me know if you have any other questions.  And have a great day.

Best,

Jerry

With flags and pennant flying in the breeze La Nina needs her coils and touch ups.. These procedures are around the corner.

Best,

Jerry

7-72017  With the Viking Ship in background, La Nina shows off her flags and pennant.jpg

7-7-2017  Flags and pennant mounted.jpg

Hello Everyone..

Today is the day that I have completed the build of La Nna. I'm seriously thinking not to put this boat in a display case so that one may get up close to it to see the details.

Nothing more to really say except that I'm happy to have finished this build and to add it to my small fleet.  I sincerely want to thank  everyone who has visited this log and I hope that my efforts will help anyone else who decides to build this model.

Here are the final pictures.

Best,

Jerry

7-8-2017 added coils to fordeck only.jpg

7-8-2017 La Nina is finished.jpg

7-8-2017 A tropical sail for La Nina.jpg

7-8-2017  Coils are placed.jpg

wonderful job on her Jerry........congratz to a job well done! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Great job Jerry, I don't put my models in cases either 20 -30 minutes once maybe twice a year cleaning is no problem to me. Plus it brings back memories of the build and at my age anything that can bring back a memory is a good thing;)

To Lawrence, Popeye and Don..

Your comments are very much appreciated as well as your continuous friendship.  I sincerely hope that I will meet you all somewhere down the line of model ship building as you continue this hobby and post your work.  It looks like La Nina is to be my "swan song" as I'm afraid I won't be able to do justice to modelling anymore due to my physical shortcomings.  But I will be looking on this wonderful site for all that you may do.  And if you choose to build something I sincerely wish you all the very best.  I have enjoyed every moment of every year that I have spent in this hobby and look forward to some other endeavors like maybe a little fishing.

Take good care all of you,

Best,

Jerry

Hello Keith...

Nice to hear from you.  La NIna is a fun kit.  HMS Victory is a long term project; La Nina isn't.  Finish La Nina and you'll have a little jewel in your possession.  Thank you for your  very nice words and have a terrific day.

Best,

Jerry

Great build Jerry, you must be delighted with the final outcome, a credit to you.

What I particularly like about this boat is the size, it will display nicely on a table top, window sill, book case or other smaller platforms. Maybe a mobile life for the 'La Nina'.

I hope she continues to give you further pleasure for years to come.

Len

Hello Len..

You are so nice to visit my log and many thanks for your good wishes.  . I think La Nina is definitely going to sit on a shelf in our new home which we are presently building.  I really do like its compactness.

Have a wonderful day,

Best,

Jerry

there are plenty of small kits you know...........don't stop :(   even if you just poked at it here and there.....you could continue to enjoy what you love ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks, Popeye..

Who knows?  It all depends on how my good eye lasts.  I'm sure I'll get the "itch" again but I can only wait and see. (no pun intended)   I surely appreciate your advice and always welcome your friendship.

Best,

Jerry

Jerry,

As has been said - brilliant work in such a small scale (tiny boat). If after some fishing and some rest --- considering working in the same scale (1/65th) would obviously present this opportunity that would be "larger" Though I'm sure that this one has already crossed your mind.

Regards,

17330_1_art22411_1.thumb.jpg.31cf6c1c89aeb67c5af67a0d402f2bab.jpg

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hello Michael.

Thank you for taking time to offer your comments on my log.  Your thoughts are very much appreciated and as you mentioned, already came across my mind.  I have  thought that it might be nice to build the Santa Maria and La Pinta as well.  What a nice flotilla that would make on a couple of shelves in our new home.  The problem is there are several things holding me back.  If you look at the kits of la Pinta and the Santa Maria it's almost like building La Nina over again.  The basic hulls are very similar and until you get to the masts and rigging everything looks the same.  So boredom looms as the first problem.  We are moving from Florida to South Carolina in less than six weeks so we have started to organize all of our belongings deciding what to get rid of and what to pack.  Moving is stressful they say and "they" are right.  Then of course there's my phyical problems which are the least of my worries because, other than complaining about them, I'm ignoring them.  So I'm packing most of my model building tools just in case I do get the itch later on.  Sorry to be so verbose but sometimes I can't help myself.

Hope your weekend is going well and

Best,

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon Lawrence and Bernadette:

I find this lovely post from you on my log and am very much taken by your words.  Were doing well and getting ready to drive all my ship models Tuesday morning to South Carolina.  We actually will move there for good on August 29th.  It's an exciting day and one that we have been waiting for for several months.  The special cradles are all made up and my good friend Jim is coming here in about a half hour to help remove the ships from their display cases and mounted onto their cradles.  It's also a bit nerve wracking as it's so easy to break a "pointy thing."

I'm afraid, despite a lot of encouragement, that La Nina is my last endeavor in ship modelling.  My eyesight just won't cooperate and with the poor depth perception, I find it too difficult to work without fear of injury, let alone constant mistakes.  But one never knows what the admiral will decide and if she wants to build a model, I will be there to help.

My love to you both,

Jerry

you'll have to let me know where your moving to.   the admiral hasn't made up her mind yet,  but S. Carolina seems to be the place she'd like to live {we've always talked about moving south}.   have a great move and hope to see you popp'in in every once in a while ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello Popeye...

Things are progressing with our move.  The Penske rental truck is all loaded with 8 ship models; see the attached photo.  All the cradles were specially designed for each model and they are screwed into the truck bed with a 1" slab of foam between each cradle board and the truck bed.  We leave first thing in the morning.  We are in the process of building a house on Keowee Lake in Salem, SC.  Our development is named, Keowee Key, located in Salem SC, so check it out on the internet.  Your admiral and you will love this place.  It's winters are very mild, golf and boating all year  (the lake never freezes)..  Keowee Lake is 24 miles long with about 300 miles of shoreline.  The amenities in Keowee Key are outstanding and I'm positive that you and your admiral will fall in ove with the place.  Who knows, you may become our neighbors?  I hope so!

Best,

Jerry

20170807_123128.jpg

Edited by Jerry

your building your home? ......are you finished enough to bring them over?    you must be ;)    I'll look the place up and show the admiral.......you already hooked me when you mentioned....lake :) 

just googled it up.........quite a layout!   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: