Soleil Royal by BLACK VIKING - De Agostini - scale 1.70

Hi Martyn. 

Hey Got my seat booked frount row.

I looked at this kit a short while ago. But I need to finish what I have in the queue  first.

All the best with your build.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Thanks for the likes and comments 

Hi Antony the kit is very well made and the carvings are brilliant and well cast .

As promised a few pictures of what I have been up to. The first planking is going on and to break it up I have built the ships boats. The largest launch I have included some carvings on the stern , not quite sure if they had them but I like them .

More to come so thanks for looking 

Rgd Martyn 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi Martyn!

Good to see another S.R. build on here as I am building her myself at the moment. Looks like you are off to a great start on her planking. She is a beast of a hull to plank so i can understand wanting to break up the monotony of planking. Those boats turned out nice. I like how you decorated them. While I can't speak to historical accuracy, they add an interesting element that makes them stand out. That is something rarely seen on the ships boats as I think that many of us gloss over as a necessary part of the build but not one that gets a lot of attention. Nice to see something different!

I got my seat pulled up and ready to follow along!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Thank you very much for the comments EL I have been watching your build with great interest especially your attention to detail with the placement of the gunports. I love fiddling about with little details that just makes a small difference. Looks like I will have to get the popcorn in lol

Thanks again for the comments rgd Martyn 

Thank you for all the likes 

A very small update on the SR . I have finished planking the upper hull and have now started on the lower planking.

The garboard plank has been fitted and left to dry over night. The second one was butted up and glued to the first one, it's a bit of a slow process as that nasty four letter word gets in the way ie work so the time for building is limited at the moment. Can't wait for next week as I am on the early shift and get all the afternoon to build. As you can see there are gaps between the planks that end in a sharp point at the stern , not to worried about them as this is the first planking and will be filled with steelers. The second planking will be layed differently and hopefully no steelers or very few 

Thanks for following rgd Martyn 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Good start on you lower planking. Just be careful at the bow that the planks don't start climbing on you. It happens very easily and can throw off the entire layout. Best of luck and I'm looking forward to the next update! 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all thanks for the likes and following my build 

A small update I have finished planking one side and started on the other, it's going to be a slow process as I have torn the tendon in my elbow so planking is a little painful but onwards and upwards. Can't wait to get it all closed up and give it a good sanding 

Martyn

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Your planking is coming along quite nicely! Your planks look nice and even and I'm thinking your sanding won't be too bad. That is always a nice bonus! I've just started laying the first wale and planks for the 2nd layer on my S.R.. She sure is a lot of ship to cover.  

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Thanks for the likes everyone 

A little bit more done on the SR . She has been given a good sand and a little bit of filler and am really pleased how the first planking has turned out 

I have now started the second planking on the stern and have covered the transom and stern chasers. As you can see I have trimmed one side just waiting for the other to dry 

Thanks for following rgd Martyn 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great start to the second planking. It is good to see some color going on the hull.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Thanks for the comments EJ and the likes.

It,s nice to start the second planking on the SR . I have finished planking the stern and bow forecastle and have started planking the hull sides. 

I have not followed the instructions and have placed the planks following the line of the gunports as hopefully I will not end up with to many droppers and steelers but we shall see.

Martyn 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Second planking is looking nice and smooth. You should not have too many problems till you get below the last wale. Until then the spacing remains even and straight across the hull. Below that lowest wale though is where you really have to start carefully measuring and tapering each plank to that they will all fit properly. Keep up the good work! :D

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Martyn,

Super nice updates.

These types of kits are so advanced that they still make me nervous ha ha

Your start looks excellent indeed. As EJ mentioned Yes nice to see color added.

Regards,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thank you very much for looking in and the comments EJ and Michael 

A bit more done on the SR . I have lined the gunports on the middle deck the instructions say just to paint them which I did but didn't like the finish so decided to go down the lining route and I think it looks a lot better.

I will post more pictures when I get further down the hull as watching planking is like watching paint dry lol 

Cheers for following, Martyn 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Moving along quite nicely. Planking is looking good. Smooth and even. AS you go lower be sure to take your time and measure and lay out your pattern before laying the planks. The bow and stern will start to narrow and you will have to taper the planks to accommodate both the narrowing space and the curves of the hull to avoid using drop planks and/or stealers. It's always best if you can draw it out with pencil first so adjustments can be made before you lay down wood. Saves a lot of money and frustration. 

Keep up the good work! :D

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Looking good as always Martyn.

I concur with EJ. The instructions and what you really get are going to be out of sync in the lower half anyway. From what I can gather our Soleils are actally quite a bit more pregnant than the prototype in the instructions. I ran into similar trouble with the lower stern balcony which is actually too narrow for the width the Soleil ends up being.

Thanks EJ and Greyhawk for the reply,s and likes 

I am just starting to mark the hull with five mil lines to find out how many planks I need. And you know me Greyhawk I never follow the instructions lol plus the planking in the instructions are very simplified with lots of pointed droppers which I don't like 

Another update soon. Martyn 

Martyn,

Your hull planking is such excellent looking work!

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa