Soleil Royal by BLACK VIKING - De Agostini - scale 1.70

Wow,

What Michael is saying.....excellent planking!

Almost a shame to put a little blue on her...

Give us a indication where you want that blue.

When we can see it ,we can give you an answer 🤣 

Sjors

Edited by Sjors

May I say thank you for all the brilliant comments Guys and the likes 

I have been scratching my head on how far down to paint the blue as there seems to be a lot of debate on where it stops? 

So I have gone down to the top of the middle gun deck just to see what it looked like and I must admit I like it so have fitted the first whale. The instructions say just to butt up the joints but I have done them with scarfs as it looks a lot better.

Thanks for following 

Martyn

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi Martyn.

Shame on you for painting such excellent planking..

Yes I agree the scarf joint looks 100% better than a butt joint.

Well done U. 

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Hanging my head in shame as we speak Anthony lol thank you very much for the great comments. I did look at it and think l love the colour of the wood but have bit the bullet and painted on the blue as the carvings are really great and the blue will make them pop 

cheers for looking in my friend 

Martyn

Martyn, I have been told by a couple of people with far more knowledge than myself on Soleil Royal that the blue would have only extended down to the top of the 6th wale from the bottom. I had the same question on my build as my plans show it going to the 5th wale but paintings that I have seen only show it to the 6th.

Your planking does indeed look very good and you are smart to switch from butt joints to scarfs as that is the correct practice and forms a much stronger joint.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Martyn the Confused, :P

Two things t keep in mind when you are having this debate are:

1. No one knows exactly what she looked like. We only have some artistic renderings of her to go off of and while yes, they are credible and come from notable artists of the time, they are by no means absolute nor do they clarify which version they are of as she underwent many changes of appearance during her career.

2. Ultimately this is your model. Unless you are under contract by a historical society or museum, (in which case congratulations) then this is a model whose purpose is to please your eye and not necessarily be historically accurate. Paint as much blue as you would like on her and be happy in your decision! 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

11 hours ago, EJ_L said:

Martyn the Confused, :P

Two things t keep in mind when you are having this debate are:

1. No one knows exactly what she looked like. We only have some artistic renderings of her to go off of and while yes, they are credible and come from notable artists of THEIR time, they are by no means absolute nor do they clarify which version they are of as she underwent many changes of appearance during her career. In fact, as built in 1669; as refitted for the battle of Beachy Head in 1690 (when he took part at the battle with unfinished carvingsand probably painted pearl grey due to lack of time) and as rebuilt in 1692 till destroyed .

Note that blue was quite a really expensive color then, it's also possible that the upper sides of the ship were painted red ! Blue being then reserved for the royal coats on the poop. But there is no evidence about that fact.

2. Ultimately this is your model. Unless you are under contract by a historical society or museum, (in which case congratulations) then this is a model whose purpose is to please your eye and not necessarily be historically accurate. Paint as much blue as you would like on her and be happy in your decision! You're perfectly right !!

Good morning EJ_L and Black Viking,

To add some confusion, I completed EJ_L's comment. :D

Also four your information about the scarfs, the ratio length/height must be 4 to 1. Both vertical cuts in the wale must each have 1/4 of the height of the wale.

Have a nice day !

:)

Hi Martyn.

No don't think about this kinda stuff on your holiday.....it will drive you nuts and ruin you holiday.

Im'e with EJ with the colours.

Regards Antony.

Completed Mayflower

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Cedric, thanks for the clarifications. I was not sure how many times she had been refitted. I was thinking three but wasn't for certain. Also the information on the wale scarfs is new to me. I tend to go past the 1/4 mark and push closer to half way more often on my build. I will start adjusting to the correct way. :D

I also wonder how often the color was changed during sea repairs. This could be a question for any ship of the era but as its been said, blue was an expensive color and I highly doubt the ship would have carried enough to repaint that much surface while at sea so would she have become spotted with other colors such as the pearl grey you mentioned or more probably the blue was used only around the royal coats? We will probably never know and it seems like more and more questions keep popping up. Makes me want to dive into some more nautical history books. I can see the good ship Visa is going to have to go back out to sea soon! 

Edited by EJ_L

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks you all for the comments and the support guys.

A bit more work done on the SR .

I have planked the beak and the keel as I didn't like the dark brown stain . Next job fitting the rudder. The pintails and hinges were gold plated but I didn't like the colour so have painted them a iron colour with a wash of brown then on to fitting the strakes down the side. I am really pleased on how this is turning out and have decided not too paint further down the hull as I think it looks ok 

Thanks for following 

Martyn

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi Martin.

OK a change of mind.... I now like the blue.

Stunning work on fitting the strakes with scrafs joints.

Regards Antony.

Completed Mayflower

She is looking good Martyn. I will echo the comment about your scarf joints that they are well made. I also like the paint you have done and agree with you to not go any lower. Looking forward to the next update!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Martyn,

Yes looking awesome indeed. Really enjoying following along. Your work is super precise and well articulated.

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit more done on the SR 

I have rigged the cannons on the middle deck as the cross deck goes over the top so would be impossible to rigg them. The blocks are only two mm long so had to make them myself as the instructions only show the breaching ropes and no out haul ropes . Not to sure whether these were fitted with in haul tackle or not? 

Thanks for all the comments and likes. 

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes and for following .

I have now finished fitting the cannons and rigging the in-hauls , yippee 

The crew have been recruited and have turned up. The captain and first officer with two of the sailors have been painted but a few more to go so will post pics when completed.

Next job fitting the rails to the upper side 

See you later 

Martyn

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes every one.

A lot more done on the SR . The rails are now fitted and the columns painted gold. Next up the stern galleries. I glued them into the slots and lined them up and left them over night to dry . The curved peace was glued to the lower gallery and while that was drying I started on the windows on the stern. These were a bit boring to look at so I have added a door frame and painted the panels under the windows blue with gold trim.

Next job will be finishing the rest of the galleries hopefully in the next couple of days 

Thanks for looking 

Martyn

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Very nice work. Clean and I like the extra details you added under the stern windows.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Thanks Zappto Michael and EJ for the brilliant comments and also the likes.

I made a mistake by saying that the stern was boring as I should have read through the instructions as there are carved columns that go between the windows. So have painted them gold with a wash of brown to bring out the carvings and glued them in place.

Still working on the galleries but slowly getting there. 

Thanks for looking , Martyn 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg