Soleil Royal by BLACK VIKING - De Agostini - scale 1.70

Thanks for the comments Sjors and the likes 

A bit more done on the SR the knightsheads and bitts have been carved and fitted.

I have also completed the the rails on the forecastle and put in the round gunports 

Next job gluing the strakes to the topmost portion of the hull . Hopefully the next update will show some of the gold carvings in place on the hull 

Thanks for following 

Martyn

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks to all who have looked in and the likes 

A bit more work done on the stern 

I have started painting and fitting the hundreds of carvings to the stern of this magnificent ship.

The kit gives you some 1mm brass wire to make the bands on the top and bottom of the galleries but I just couldn't get it straight enough to look good so had a think about it and came up a better idea. I have a moulding scraper and decided to use that with some 2x1mm strip pine that I had in my scrap box . The strip was passed through the scraper a few times, sanded and then painted gold. Once fitted and dry the carvings where placed in there positions and glued with two pack adhesive.

Lots more to do but here's a few shots of how it's going 

Thanks for following 

Martyn

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes and for looking in 

A lot more work done on the stern.

The carvings have been painted and fitted to the stern with two pack adhesive , still a few more to do 

The figurehead has also been painted and dry fitted to the bow stem .

l have completed the dead eyes and chain plates. The chain in the kit was gold and looked out of place so I have painted it a dark iron paint which looks so much better.

Still lots more to do so till the next time happy building 

Martyn

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes and looking in 

All the carvings have been fitted to the stern so have cracked on with fitting the smaller cannons to the upper decks.

I have made some small blocks for the out haul tackle as the kit blocks are to large.

Once rigged up some rope coils where added. A few more to do but slowly getting there 

Thanks for looking 

Martyn 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looking very nice Martyn! You are moving along very well on her. Won't be long now and masts and rigging will start.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys and the likes 

A little bit more work done on the SR . I have finished fitting the shrouds to the lower formast and have completed the fun job of the ratlines. Now moving on to the mainmast . Once all the lower masts have been completed its on to the next level.

Thanks for following 

Martyn 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Martyn,

Don't know how I lost your "follow" along for this amazing built. Back with you now.

Oh what a great amount of work. Your stern work is indeed so excellent. 

Glad that I "surfed" recent updates to re-locate your log. Again Whoa! Those Dec, 14 shots are brilliant.

PS: Your Vasa looks to be just as impressive - Poss. a few pics would be nice (;-)

Regards,

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Martyn, your rigging is coming along nicely. I know that is a tedious part of the build, especially ratlines!

Your Vasa looks nice as well. That is not an easy ship to build either and the kits have not done her justice in their designs but you have done well with yours.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to your next updates!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

I know I have a few of those models that I'm not the proudest of and I'm sure that can be said of almost any long term modeler. My first wooden ship was the Rattlesnake. While I am proud of completing her, she is far from my best work and in fact is a very rough model. I did learn a lot builder her and maybe one day I will attempt to build her again to redeem myself. :D

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

• 2 weeks later...

Martyn,

Been away from all of my favorite shipyards (as well as mine) for the last couple of weeks. Just catching up. Thanks for your Vasa photos - very nice indeed - Very much like your hull planking. Your SR updates are as excellent as ever.

Regards,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the likes .

Cheers for looking in Michael and the brilliant comments 

A bit more done on the SR . To break up the ratlines I have made up some of the upper masts and fitted some of the braces fore and aft as I needed a break from tying nearly 3000 half hitch,s and still quite a few to go.

Thanks for following I am off to do some more ratlines 

Martyn

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the likes guys.

A bit more done on the SR . The ratlines have all been completed yippee and have now started on the yards of the foremast.        

I have decided to have them with furled sails and dropped upper yards. The first yard was made as per instructions and the sail cut down to one third it's size to get rid of the bulk as the material was quite thick. I then rolled it up and tied to the yard and teased into shape. I have never tried this before and am quite happy with the result. Next job the rest of the yards. 

Cheers for following 

Martyn

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Martyn,

Nice update. Agreed furled lower sails are also my preference. Especially on ships that have so much visual detail to be added on to weather decks

All looks quite right indeed.

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I will second the nice furled sails and the decision to keep them furled on the courses so they do not block all the details of the deck. Those ratlines look good and I'm sure that is a huge relief to be done with them! :D

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

• 5 weeks later...

Cheers for the comments guys and the likes 

This is going to be the last update on the SR as she is now complete.

This has been a pleasure to build and I really like the way she has turned out. All the sails have now been finished and I am pleased with the result as this is the first time I have tried furled sails and it shows the deck of well . The crew have been placed on the decks and rope coils on the belay pins and knightsheads.

Thanks again for the brilliant comments and the likes. See you next time with my next build .

Martyn 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Martyn,

Absolutely brilliant results. A beautiful ship that that has been given a stunning presence, from every angle, with your superlative work.

Big Congrats--

PS: Yes still on my wish list haha

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Beautifully done Martyn! Definitely a model to be proud with your excellent craftsmanship. Congratulations on finishing!

Any thoughts as to your next build? This was an enjoyable build so I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart