Shipyard Cardboard kits

well, i could say on my behalf, that its not easy, but also its not hard. i managed to build hull of the Le Coureur to relatively good standard, but poor choice of glue have prevented me from continuing it. one day i will take it apart and start over.

also, you have to be confident in doing your own paint job. kit is supplied on plain cardboard, all laser cut, you just have to assemble it and then paint it.

i would probably consider building something for the beginners first, as otherwise you are risking it turning into a quite costly fire-starting kit. that's meant to be when you fail, you start fire with it...

i don't mean to discourage you at all, just giving you a fair warning.

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

please, do not consider start into the hobby. by all means, dive head first. it is the best you can do. besides doing other kind of fun stuff... ship modeling calms me down more, than when i used to do d... naughty things.

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

A little sneak peak to what you can expect from the kit. It also contain a few tubes of acrylic paint, which i swapped for different brand. The glue supplied is horrendous. If i have known what kind of rubish it is, i would have ditched it a long time ago.

Btw the kit is dormant for a good part of last 6years... thing with paper is, it doesnt go brittle, since its not painted it wont loose colours... i like paper model building for the fact that you need almost no tools.

the qualityof paper used for laser cutting is, as Dan Vad would tell you very good.

Sapperred1, have a look at our card modeling tutorial. It's not a sailing ship, but it is a free model, and completing some or all of the tutorial will give you a good grasp of the basic card modeling skills.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They have 1/72 and 1/96 kits. I know at least one of them is being offered in both versions. 1/96 are usually just plain card models, only formers and details are offered as an extra.

1/72 comes as a kit.

btw, im still waiting for shipyard to release their newest model... its been over a year since they released a sailing ship...

Hi Bob,

All the kits I have came across will have a legend somewhere in the instructions which denotes the laminating thickness required.  Typically * = 0.5mm, ** = 1mm, b = laminate to the same kit paper thickness and so on.  Different publishers will have variations on the above; but all you need to do is find the symbols and if it's not clear type one or two words into google translate to confirm the thickness.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Hi Bob, Slog,

Shipyard kits list the laminating thickness on the main instruction diagram. Next to the parts that need laminating, there is a white disc with a number and three dark lines under it. The three dark lines alert you that the part needs to be laminated, the number shown is the final thickness of the part.

Bob,

I'm confused about the bonus kit. Is it a completely separate kit?

Also, the only Berbice kit in this scale that Shipyard makes comes with the Quayport. Also, there is no French language in their kits, only English, German and Polish.

Where did you buy your kit?

I'm in contact with the owner of Shipyard and he would have mentioned if he had developed a new (yacht) kit.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

5 hours ago, modlerbob said:

Unfortunately I don't read French or Polish so I am having a hard time determining whether some parts of these kits need to be bonded to an additional thickness of card stock or is the heavy paper they are printed on is sufficient.

I also discovered, upon opening the package, that there is a bonus kit included of a small (Dutch ?) yacht which I am sure needs additional backing on some parts.

Why don't you scan the Polish instructions, indicate parts you don't understand and attach this here and I will try to help you.

I do speak Polish, so I might be able to help.

Hi Bob,

Interesting. Looks legit.

The fact that they show the Bellona and La Belle Poule on the back cover suggest it's is an old, out of print kit. Nice find! 

To clarify. The current Berbice kit comes in two forms:

1/96 Paper Model kit with Quayport. Paper Model kits are like what you just bought – you cut out all the parts yourself and you supply dowels and rigging line, sails and whatever other fittings you choose to use instead of the paper parts. The current kit include laser-cut skeleton, which speeds up build time a lot. The current version has a Quay port. Looks like they replaced the old Dutch Swedish Yacht with the Quay port in the current kits.

1/72 Laser Cardboard kit (now called Laser Cutted kits). Nothing is printed, except for flags and some decorative details, like friezes if they were on the ship. All parts are laser cut, includes brass cannon barrels, any necessary resin scroll work and figurehead, laser-cut blocks and deadeyes that you assemble yourself (like Chuck's laser-cut stuff), rigging line, dowels, copper tape for the hull, paints, brushes, razor blade, no glue. Old versions had wooden blocks and deadeyes and included glue. This kit does NOT include a quay port, but you can buy one separately if you want.

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to seeing your build!

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Well, the Dutch Swedish yacht is a pretty cool substitute.

I have the 1/96 Berbice and quay port. The quay port part is really just a simple little addition. The other actual quay port kits are more interesting, but they're designed to fit specific models. 

In the future, I recommend checking out Ages of Sail. They are the U.S. distributor for Shipyard products and a site sponsor. They have a ton of Shipyard stuff, and Shipyard really wants them to buy more, but the shop has to move some more product first. Paper models aren't that well known here in the U.S., but I think a lot of people would really like them if they tried them.

There are times in wooden ship modeling where I'm really tired of dust and splinters and having to go out into the baking hot garage to use the power tools. Don't have any of that with the paper kits!

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/06/2017 at 2:19 AM, sapperred1 said:

I read through the tutorial and thought the parts looked awful small. I think others have convinced me to choose a wood project.

Thanks, Mark

Yep, there are small parts. However, making them from Card is actually easier than from Wood in some cases. I'd have had a bit of trouble making the Anti-Aircraft Guns in the following pics from wood (harder but not impossible ;):D). BTW - they are in 1:200 scale :

AA Guns (2).JPG

AA Guns (4).JPG

AA Guns (11).JPG

AA Guns Scale.JPG

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi