HMS Victory by gjdale - FINISHED - Mamoli - Scale 1:90

Good morning Grant

i have just caught up with your log, i have missed so much,

The Bismarck - for me certainly was not a mistake, i lost my direction with the Victory, and rather than get rid of it i decided for a change of direction, 

With my mojo back, the intentions are to have her back in the workshop around Easter, and push forward with her through the summer months, i dont want - or have the room for two big builds on the go at the same time

hope you are well

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Grant,

I like what you are doing here mate and your process is well thought out and executed, however I think that the Anvil is a little thick. I feel they could be reduced a little from the underside which would add a little more shape to the horns.

It may just be angle of the photos I don't know and the real test will be when you attach them to the ropes.

The Caldercraft cleats attach to the ropes over the top of the anvil, will yours attach the same way or do you intend to attach around the base of the cleat.

I hope you don't mind me mentioning this mate.

Be Goodie

mobbsie

Sent from my IPhone

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks for the comments and "likes" folks.

Bug - assembly line is the only way to go for these parts! Working with a larger piece of stock is also much easier than trying to shape these little critters individually.

Kevin - welcome back. I've been keeping an eye on your Bismarck, but I'll be looking forward to seeing more progress on your Victory.

Mobbsie - you just knew I wasn't quite satisfied with them didn't you? ;) I agree, the anvil is still a little heavy. I've got an idea half formed that I might try tomorrow - now that I've got the basic shape and method worked out, it shouldn't take too long. My biggest concern though is making the horns too fragile. To answer your other question, fixing to the shrouds will be via lashings around the "legs" and also around the centre portion - as per the actual ship fit. That's the intention, anyway.

Hi Mate,

Thanks for that, hope I haven't caused you too much aggro. :( :(

Good luck when you attach them to the shrouds, that's going to be some fiddly work, I still have that pleasure to come. :(

I'm having to redo the deadeyes on the main shrouds, didn't take into account the rope stretch, that's a real pain in the **** I can tell you. :( :(

That should make you feel a bit better. :) :)

Be Good and Stay Cool

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Hi Grant,

Would it help to sand a bit of a concave shallow in the top surface of the strip before making the other cuts?

I'm glad you mention that the grain direction issue messed with your head a bit.  In looking ahead a little, contemplating how I am going to make the cleats for my bulwarks, that was a puzzler for me.

Robert

Current Build: HMS Mars

Thanks Robert,

I think the top surface is okay in terms of when to do it. I'm thinking about being a little more aggressive on the side cuts though. I'll do a test today and let you know how it goes.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one whose head gets messed with thinking about grain direction ;)

Okay, so I wasn't really happy with the last version of the shroud cleats.  I was being lazy and thankfully Mobbsie called me on it - thanks mate!  ;)

So this morning I had another crack.  As I'd already prepared another piece of stock with the basic saw cuts, it didn't take much additional work.  I widened the dados in the side, and filed the curves in again.

Here's the results of the latest effort (not yet stained black):

post-242-0-65342500-1396655192_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-07276900-1396655194_thumb.jpg

And here's a comparison of the new (on the left) with the previous version (on the right).  I've included a metric ruler as a reminder of just how small these things really are.

post-242-0-50638700-1396655195_thumb.jpg

I think these are much better, but I'd value any and all opinions.  Do I go with these, or is it back to the drawing board?

I would be reluctant to try and make any parts thinner as I'm already down to 1mm square on the "feet' that will attach to the shrouds.

Waddayareckon?

Edited by gjdale

Thanks Robert and B.E. - your votes of confidence are much appreciated.looks like we have a winner. :)

The new ones look like the ticket!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks Lawrence and Augie, and the "likes".  I think even Mobbsie will be satisfied with this version! :D:P

I've been pondering the Mast Cleats as well over the last few days and came to the conclusion that making wooden ones just wasn't going to do it - they would either be too large/chunky or too fragile.  So I got an idea from B.E.'s Pegasus log, where he had made some brass cleats from eyebolts.  That got me to thinking in terms of brass, and eventually I hit on the idea of making them in two parts (one for the "stem" to mount into the mast, and one for the "horns") and silver soldering them together.  So that's what I did......

Starting with some 1mm diameter brass wire, and cutting two pieces, with one bent at a right angle.  I deliberately made each part extra long to make it easier to handle.

post-242-0-03278400-1396655298_thumb.jpg

Then a quick visit to the garage and a few minutes with the silver solder paste and mini torch:

post-242-0-65943400-1396655299_thumb.jpg

Then cleaned them up with a file and cut each leg of the "Y" to size:

post-242-0-22667700-1396655301_thumb.jpg

And finally, chemically blackened using Casey Birchwood Brass Black (thanks Danny for putting me on to that stuff! ;) ):

post-242-0-72197400-1396655302_thumb.jpg

Now, unless Mobbsie sends me around the buoy on this one, I think these are ready for installation. :)

Edited by gjdale

G'day Mate,

Where do I start, firstly let me congratulate you on your new shroud cleats, they are so much better than the old ones, well done mate. :P  :P

Now, you only have a short trip around the buoys and you can do that in a row boat, is it possible to just turn the horns on the mast cleats down a little, I know they are tiny and they are good but I think you can improve them, by turning the ends down you will give them a better shape and the rope will not slip off.  :mellow:

This is just my humble opinion mate, you are onto a winner whichever you choose. :)  :)

Be Good and Stay Cool

mobbsie

mobbsie

I'm with mobbsie - just a quick tweak with the pliers on the ends should do the trick. 

The choice of metal was a good one too - just looking at the wood cleats I agree that they would be far to delicate, and would result in breaking and much cursing during the rigging process.

Colin

--

Current Builds: HMS Pandora 1/64 Scratch

Jeannie Johnston;

18thC Longboat with my son

Previous Builds: HMB Bounty - Caldercraft

Running Round my head: HMS Speedy (1782) - vaguely thinking POF

"If at first you don't succeed, try it your wifes' way"

Thanks guys - a small tweak with the pliers just prior to fitting the mast cleats it shall be then. :)

I really appreciate the input folks - constructive criticism really helps to achieve the best possible outcome. Thanks for keeping me "honest".

B.E. - silver soldering is not at all difficult. I'm still quite a novice, but seem able to get by to meet my needs. There is a good tutorial in the downloads section of the site. With your evident abundant skill set, I expect you will master it in no time at all.

Great work Grant, and the input for everyone is awesome. Since my next build will be from this time frame, all of this info and trial and error is going to prove enormously valuable!

-Bug

Nice work on both types of cleat Grant :) . Your method of making the brass ones looks a bit easier than the one I used on my Norfolk Sloop - I cut and filed them from 1mm thick brass strip :

Cleats 001.jpg

Cleats 002.jpg

BTW - did you use English Box for the wooden cleats or Castello? The English is probably twice as close-grained and can be cut and shaped to TINY sizes without falling apart :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Dan,

What's the best source for English Box, Hobbymill?

- Bug

Thanks everyone for the comments and "likes" - all very much appreciated.

Danny - I used Costello boxwood. I didn't want to dip into my very limited supply of English Box for this job, especially as it was partially experimental. ;)

Bug - I get all my timber from HobbyMill these days, though you won't get any English Box there. For that you will need a balaclava and a baseball bat, and the address of someone who has some stashed away! :P Seriously though, English box is pretty hard to come by and I understand quite expensive when you can get it. Very happy for someone to tell me I'm wrong on this though.

Edited by gjdale

Thanks everyone for the comments and "likes" - all very much appreciated.

Danny - I used Costello boxwood. I didn't want to dip into my very limited supply of English Box for this job, especially as it was partially experimental. ;)

Bug - I get all my timber from HobbyMill these days, though you won't get any English Box there. For that you will need a balaclava and a baseball bat, and the address of someone who has some stashed away! :P Seriously though, English box is pretty hard to come by and I understand quite expensive when you can get it. Very happy for someone to tell me I'm wrong on this though.

Bug-  That translates to a ski mask and a Desert Eagle .50 over here :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

you won't get any English Box there. For that you will need a balaclava and a baseball bat, and the address of someone who has some stashed away!

Hmm .... I have quite a stash I bought cheaply from a former ship modeller - but you didn't hear it here, and NO it's not for sale :D .

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Hmm .... I have quite a stash I bought cheaply from a former ship modeller - but you didn't hear it here, and NO it's not for sale :D .

Beware unexpected visitors wearing balaclavas in summer Danny!!!

Wonderful wooden cleats.

If they are still needed even smaller, here a little commercial for the case, if it is allowed :-)

http://www.dafinismus.de/plates_en.html#anker7

Cheers, Daniel

Edited by dafi

Hehe, I should've known it was from a stash somewhere!

-Bug

Excellent cleats Grant and a nice tutorial for those of us watching from the peanut gallery.  

Did someone mention a stash of English Box? :ph34r:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Careful Mark.... I grew up in Oregon and I know exactly where Medford is. :P

-Bug

Careful Mark.... I grew up in Oregon and I know exactly where Medford is. :P

-Bug

No problem.. I don't have the stash, but come by anyway.  We'll share a beverage.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)