HMS Victory by gjdale - FINISHED - Mamoli - Scale 1:90

Thanks Brian, Remco and Wayne. It is something of a relief to be finished this little side-trip. :)

I try to find any mistakes but I can found them !!!!

Amazing job on those little ones Grant !

You can do a happy dance and much more !

Great job.

Sjors

And finally, one last "scaling shot"

attachicon.gifThe Fleet in Hand.jpg

Grandfather, what big hands you have ...?!?

Magnificent work, as usually!

Chhers, Daniel

PS: Is there still a mast foot of the big one missing?

Edited by dafi

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Fantastic boats, Grant.  So fantastic, I'm giving up this hobby and taking up underwater basket-weaving. :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks very much Frank, Sjors, Daniel, Mark and Bob, and also all of the "likes".

Daniel - sharp eyes, you may be right! I'll fix that before it goes back aboard the mother ship. Thanks for the catch. :)

Lovely work there mate, and plenty of it as well, when that last mast foot is done you can look at them with bucket loads of pride.

The day looms ever closer.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Absolutely stunning boats Grant. Perfect!

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Grant, your boats are incredible. I can't wait to see them in place. It will really finish off your victory beautifully. When I finish my Endeavour model, I will use your log as my guide to building the other boats. Awesome modelling skills Grant.

Grant,

I really didn't expect to be astounded, not because I expected poor work, but rather I expect nothing but the best....

But I have to say the hand shot of all 4 is a jaw dropper, Grant. You should feel as though you just climbed Everest.... 4 times.

I'm astounded and once again I learn never to under expect an artisan that's reaching way past their momentary ability. You not only pulled in off, but set the bar higher, but at the same time helped teach those that follow. As my eyes grow dimmer and I have less time to spend reading, your build log is a favorite. Its just to bad we can't read them all (maybe Mark does, he gets around, I think he's cloned himself).

Anyway, I'm ASTOUNDED!

Kudo's and Congrats to a very talented and adventurous mentor and Commodore, you have earned that title   :cheers:

Thanks very much Nick, Mobbsie, Slog, Mike, Keith and Nigel, and once again to all of the "likes".  I feel somewhat humbled by the number of kind comments i have received since posting the completed pictures of the boats.  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

All of the boats are now installed on the ship - the two Cutters from their respective davits (there was more involved in rigging those than I'd thought!), and the Launch and Pinnace on the skid beams.  And yes Daniel, I did make and install the mast step in the Launch before mounting ;) .  I've also fitted the rudder chains  - one of those things that's easy to forget (I almost did). 

I'm currently working on fitting the Anchors and hope to finish that this morning before I have to go away for work for the week.  The last job will  be to make and fit the rope coils,  but it looks like that will have to wait until next weekend.

No more pictures today - I'll save that until she is finally complete.

If they were mine I might put them in a safety deposit box rather than on the ship!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Sorry to repeat what everyone else has said but the boats are stunning.  The shot with them in the hand is brilliant.  Wonderful work.

Edited by Jack Panzeca

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Well, it’s done!  After almost 19 years in the making, I’ve finally finished my Victory.   :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

:champagne-popping-smiley-emotic  :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic  :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic  :champagne:  :champagne:  :champagne:

:champagne-2:  :champagne-2:  :champagne-2: 

The end wasn’t without incident though……… After taking a series of photos before placing her back in the display case, my son came over to give me a hand lifting the case cover back on.  He was at the bow end, and as we were lowering it, he managed to catch the end of the case on the tip of the bowsprit.  :omg:   :o  :o  :o 

Fortunately the damage was minor - a couple of sprung rigging lines that were easily repaired is about all - although it came very close to snapping the Fore Topgallant Mast in one of the places where it had been broken and repaired before.  Close call, but all is well now.  :)  :)  :) 

I took a range of photos and have cut that back down to a dozen or so, so with your indulgence, I’ll split these across two posts.

Before I do though, as this will be my last progress update, I think it timely to make a couple of observations and offer a few votes of thanks. 

When I joined MSW almost exactly three years ago, I had anticipated that I would be finally finished this model in about six months from then. I was, like everyone else who joins this forum, given a very warm welcome and almost immediately the advice and encouragement started to flow in.  Although it took me three years and not six months, the end result I have achieved is light years from what would have been without MSW.  So a couple of thankyous.

Firstly to Chuck, for making this site possible and for giving so freely of his time and expertise to help all who venture this way.  Chuck was also kind enough to share with me his techniques for mass production of rigging blocks - a technique that I was eventually able to replicate, thanks to his tutelage.  Thank you Chuck for teaching me to fish.  :cheers: 

Secondly, to all of the Admins and Moderators, who also give freely of their time to keep this site running in the way and with the spirit it has been intended.  A more friendly and supportive site could not be imagined.  Thank you ladies and gentlemen.  :champagne: 

I’d like to make a special vote of thanks to Danny Vadas. From a very early point in my MSW existence, Danny became something of an informal mentor to me.  But it was when I was contemplating re-doing my stern and quarter galleries that Danny really stepped up to the plate.  Danny did the design work and drawings, including the design of some special jigs, that enabled me to re-make these tricky parts.  Perhaps more importantly though, he gave me the courage to even attempt this in the first place, by offering to guide me through the process via remote control and email exchange.  The results speak for themselves, but while I may have provided the labour, the kudos belongs to Danny.  Thank you Danny - I look forward to sharing a nice single malt with you again someday soon.  :cheers: 

It was through this learning experience that I started to gain the confidence to try a few other things for myself as well.  The fleet of four scratch built boats are a direct consequence of this, so again Danny’s mentoring has pushed me to much greater heights in my modelling, and I continue to learn every day.

And of course, I’d like to thank all of you who have followed my journey and offered words of encouragement, or have simply hit the “like” button from time to time.  Knowing that you all are watching has kept me going at times, and has also helped to keep me “honest” - there were a number of times when I’ve thought, “no, that’s not good enough - the guys will never let me get away with that”.  And some of you weren't backward in coming forward with constructive criticism - thank you all for that (you know who you are!  ;) )

Enough already.  Here are some pics.  A few general shots to start with, and then some more details and close-ups in the next post.

post-242-0-82957700-1412502938_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-04910500-1412502954_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-76912200-1412502969_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-77221400-1412502983_thumb.jpg

This last view shows both the rebuilt stern galleries and the clinker planking on the two 25' Cutters:

post-242-0-28400700-1412502997_thumb.jpg

Just continuing from the previous post, a few more shots of the finished ship:

post-242-0-40678900-1412503767_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-60518300-1412503784_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-25925400-1412503798_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-97039800-1412503814_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-21425200-1412503829_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-25903700-1412503846_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-75697300-1412503862_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-19161100-1412503876_thumb.jpg

Now, a number of you have been wondering what’s next. 

As you know, I’ve been leaning more and more to the “dark side”, but I also want to take on a slightly smaller project - hopefully one that won’t take 19 years to complete!  I’ve also been encouraging my very good mate Mobbsie to come with me to the dark side.  So one evening while we were chatting on Skype, we decided that it might be fun to do a “group build” together and that is what we shall do.  The subject will be a cross-section model of the Bomb Vessel Granado in 1:48 scale.  We will be using plans drawn by Jeff Staudt (available through our neighbour site Model Ship Builder), and we are using timber from Jeff Hayes at HobbyMill. 

post-242-0-59891200-1412503899_thumb.jpg

I’ve promised Mobbsie that I won’t start until he’s finished his Aggy, which he reckons is another couple of weeks away (yeah, right - so far, he’s achieved in 19 months what it’s taken me 19 years to do!).  So for a group build with a difference (since we're in opposite hemispheres), keep an eye out for our respective logs - coming to MSW in just a few short weeks.

I have also had a hankering to do a non-ship related build, so I will be doing this in tandem.  It is a (relatively) small kit from OcCre of Stephenson’s Rocket. 

post-242-0-26954900-1412503889_thumb.jpg

Of course, I won’t be able to run a log of that here, but will provide a link for anyone interested.  And don’t be surprised if you see something “rocket-like” in the background of the Cross-Section updates!

Catch you all on the other side.  Thanks for following.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Grant,

Everything about this build is stunning, she's a real beaut mate, you have every reason to be proud. :dancetl6:  :dancetl6: :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  

I cant afford champers mate but lets have a beer instead   :cheers: great set of pictures as well, they deserves another beer :cheers:

I will follow your link for the Rocket and I look forward to working with you on the dark side. Thinking about that, if I build the port side you can do the starboard side and I'll send mine over to you for matching up. :D  :D

I promise not to keep you waiting long ( honest )  ;)  ;)

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Absolutely breathtaking! A museum quality model!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Congrats Grant !!!!!!!

She is a beauty and something to be proud off !!!!!

Thanks for the journey that you have give us all the way to the build the last 3 years !

Finally Mobbsie can shout it out that he is doing a group build with you  :D  :D  :D

I'm sure I will follow you both with that cross section journey.

For you both now only one thing....change your signature !!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, great job on your Victory !!!!

Sjors

You sir, deserve to be proud at this moment.  Almost 20 years of trials, effort and learning that have culminated in something of true beauty.  I humbly salute your craftsmanship.

Thank you for sharing her with us over the last 3 years and I will look forward to your collaboration with Mobbsie on Granado. 

Now where's that link to Rocket  :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Grant,

Congratulations!!!  Truly spectacular.  The thought of 100 gun ports and miles of rope boggles the mind.  A wonderful accomplishment.      :champagne-2:  :champagne-2:  :champagne-2:

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

post-76-0-91908900-1412535348.gif   Congratulations, Grant.  What an accomplishment and for that I salute you. post-76-0-52717000-1412535348.gif

Well done and I'm looking forward to your venture into the darkside.

post-76-0-05884300-1412535348.gifpost-76-0-05884300-1412535348.gifpost-76-0-05884300-1412535348.gifpost-76-0-05884300-1412535348.gifpost-76-0-05884300-1412535348.gifpost-76-0-05884300-1412535348.gifpost-76-0-05884300-1412535348.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)